• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Future Diary Complete Series DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gritoit wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
@animemaster1
My thoughts on the series, is that it is a no holds barred anime. The reviewer was right about the dub, and probably some points on the plot.

But after all, this is a ‘last man standing’ murder game, where the participants are chosen, not for being righteous, but for their ability to make the game entertaining. Much like our modern ‘reality’ shows. So, evil and damaged goods are needed. So there can only be one and it is either you or them.

If you are squeamish or offended by depictions of violent crime, well, this show isn’t for you. Especially, since there are a lot of depictions of various tortures, rape, mutilations, murder, and other evil crap. One such is example is how Minene Uryū, spoiler[ blows up a couple hundred kids, and a little bit latter probably blows up another couple hundred, with Yuna’s unintended help. ]

Show is not perfect or great, but I thought it was interesting and enjoyable.

I totally agree with the above and find it to be a better more informative review than the actual reviewer posted.

Not sure why but this is indeed one of the most hateful reviews I have seen on this site in a long time.

Kind of feel like people doing the reviews should have a somewhat neutral ground from which to state their opinions. Hopes review felt like a giant list of I hate this show, don't watch it.

I also agree with someone else formerly in this discussion that most of the current reviewers working on the majority of reviews do a better job of stating their opinions + actual factual attributes.

Mirai Nikki being compared to Higurashi is a very good comparison can't remember who mentioned it.

Anyways just my opinion but for anyone on the fence who CAN deal with violence and gore I would say give it a try and don't let this very lopsided review discourage you. I would recommend watching it subbed but that is just a personal preference of mine.

Also curious why one would have a person who from the reviewers comments very adamantly does not like this level of violence do a review for a show that is labeled: Objectionable content: Intense?

In fact as I looked further it even list gore and death.

Except Hope DID explain what was wrong with the show. She didn't just say "RARGH I HAT DIS DONT WATCH", but talked about what Future Diary was doing wrong.

Before I get started, yes, I do like Future Diary. But do I think it's good? NOT BY A LONGSHOT. I like Future Diary the same way that the casual movie goer likes Transformers. They're both really, REALLY stupid, but damn if they aren't entertaining!

What made the Hunger Games or Dangan Ronpa work in their respective genres- and what makes Future Diary fail- is that the focus is NOT on blood and gore. The Hunger Games is about the shallowness of modern pop culture and reality television shows, and the games themselves are used to amplify those themes. Dangan Ronpa is a murder mystery character piece, and it does an excellent job on both accounts, AND keeping the more gorey parts to a minimum.

Future Diary's story is ramshackle and rough-drafty in that it seems to be an outline for a great show instead of being a great show. The characters are made up of trite stereotypes, with the exception of the BADASS Minene and POSSIBLY Yuno...possibly. Worse, Future Diary has a very "exploitation movie" vibe to it that makes the overall package a bit uncomfortable to watch. While I don't think the show ever took itself TOO seriously (and to it's credit, it is fast-paced and fun, depending on how much you can tolerate), that doesn't change the fact it's terrible.

As for me, I consider Future Diary to be a guilty pleasure in the way JO takes Highschool of the Dead to be her guilty pleasure. Eh, personal preferences are personal, amiright?
Zump

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can add this show to the "Avoid At All Costs" list. This sounds like the latest in a long line of amateurish, horribly written anime that gets praised by fans as a "groundbreaking masterpiece that demolishes the conventions of anime storytelling."
Gritoit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
@Akane the Catgirl

You are right personal preference is personal. And it isn't that I feel Hope completely neglected to try and explain anything but more that the overall feel of it is this is horrible don't watch. And no she never said that out right. I guess different reviewers have different styles. The review I find easiest to somewhat compare it to is Dog & Scissors review by Carl. Which having watched half the show I can say is equally as messy as MN.

As an example without looking to far just look at the end notes which many people may just skip to.

MNs end notes:

+ Perpetually deepening maelstrom of violence and discomfort is extremely watchable and always changing direction. Murmur after-show segments are funny.
− Stupid, ugly, tone-deaf, pointlessly vile and misanthropic, but above all lame and immature. Dub script is annoying and overworked.

Even her positives don't sound very positive
and negatives like stupid, lame and immature really don't tell me as a reader what was actually wrong

Dog & Scissors end notes:

+ Crazed, unpredictable, and mysteriously fun to watch; Natsuno is usually pretty great.
− Messy, illogical, and generally preposterous; lax execution; thinly-written characters; gleefully perverted.

The positives here actually feel positive
and the negatives give me much better insight into how the reviewer viewed the show.

But most of all from my first post I still have to wonder why Hope would bother watching and reviewing a show all the way through when she never seems to offer even a slight positive to indicate why.

Personally if I thought that most aspects of a show were D - C range at best I would drop said show within 4 episodes as if it doesn't have a plot line or characters worth paying attention to by then it most likely won't.

Maybe some people feel once they have started watching something they have to finish it?

And to end you are right MN is not the best done show out there and could have been done better, it is however entertaining. I guess my main thing is I just prefer a certain style of review and of course wanted to also put out my own opinion on the show as well.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Gritoit wrote:

But most of all from my first post I still have to wonder why Hope would bother watching and reviewing a show all the way through when she never seems to offer even a slight positive to indicate why.

Personally if I thought that most aspects of a show were D - C range at best I would drop said show within 4 episodes as if it doesn't have a plot line or characters worth paying attention to by then it most likely won't.

Maybe some people feel once they have started watching something they have to finish it?

You don't understand how writing reviews professionally works, do you?

I suppose you could just drop the show and not finish it, but then you wouldn't be able to finish the assignment and your editor has to find someone else to review the series. You come across as a flake who can't do the assigned work. Not a good idea.

Your problem with the review is that you like the show and she didn't. You're now trying to make it look like somehow she failed professionally rather than simply stating an opinion you don't agree with, which is annoying, but you're hardly the first person to do it.
Gritoit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Zac for the info that was basically what I figured but wasn't sure if infrequent writers would be paid or if it was volunteer based. As I said it is my preference that I like other reviewers styles better. Also for the most part I like the reviews on this site and have never had any reason till now to express a distaste with how they were presented. And no this is not the first review ever where I didn't agree with the review. It is however one which was presented in such a way that I did not like it.

You have peaked my interest as well since I am an overly curious individual are review assignments generally handed out based on type of show or just based on time constraints of the reviewers? or something else entirely?

Thanks ahead of time and I hope I didn't come off as thinking that anyone isn't doing their job.

Also since I am thinking of it I like how your reviews are often funny and presented in an unusual way for the preview guides.

As a last note I would like to say that no I do not think she failed professionally but am not a fan of her writing style is all. Sorry that it came across as an attack rather than my personal preference.

Last edited by Gritoit on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Gritoit wrote:

You don't understand how writing reviews professionally works, do you?

I suppose you could just drop the show and not finish it, but then you wouldn't be able to finish the assignment and your editor has to find someone else to review the series. You come across as a flake who can't do the assigned work. Not a good idea.

Your problem with the review is that you like the show and she didn't. You're now trying to make it look like somehow she failed professionally rather than simply stating an opinion you don't agree with, which is annoying, but you're hardly the first person to do it.

BLESS THIS POST.

Thank you! Thank you for pointing out the "personal preference" fallacy I hate so much in reviewing! (I like/hate it, therefore it's good/bad.) I could just hug you right now! Very Happy

Also, I would like to point out that Hope DID drop the show at Episode 5, and only continued with it because she was writing a review for it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Your main complaint against this review seems to be that in the plus and minus section of the review JO does not explain herself. The thing is that the plus and minus section is simply a wrapup of the review condensing what the reviewer said in the actual review. Most of your complaints about how JesuOtaku didn't explain herself are actually explained in the actual review. That tells me that you saw the review said "TLDR" and just posted about how JO didn't explain herself.

There are more to a review than the number/letter at the end and the wrapup. In fact the only point to have a number or letter at the end is to categorize the game, either on a website, or through something like Metacritic. This obsession with numbers is why video game scales are usually in the 6-10 range with anything that the reviewer actually likes is guaranteed an 8 at least. Its why there was a massive uproar on Gamespot giving GTA V a 9 instead of a 10. Its a pointless thing to argue about.
Gritoit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Your main complaint against this review seems to be that in the plus and minus section of the review JO does not explain herself. The thing is that the plus and minus section is simply a wrapup of the review condensing what the reviewer said in the actual review. Most of your complaints about how JesuOtaku didn't explain herself are actually explained in the actual review. That tells me that you saw the review said "TLDR" and just posted about how JO didn't explain herself.

There are more to a review than the number/letter at the end and the wrapup. In fact the only point to have a number or letter at the end is to categorize the game, either on a website, or through something like Metacritic. This obsession with numbers is why video game scales are usually in the 6-10 range with anything that the reviewer actually likes is guaranteed an 8 at least. Its why there was a massive uproar on Gamespot giving GTA V a 9 instead of a 10. Its a pointless thing to argue about.

No you are mistaken I read the whole thing and even said it was an example.

I said:

As an example without looking to far just look at the end notes which many people may just skip to.

I could minutely analyze the entire thing if you should wish showing exact lines and word choice differences, but I should rather not like to write a research paper on reviewing styles.

Also you are right that if everyone were to read the whole review they would understand what Hope meant in her end notes. Though to be honest I think most people are lazy and may not read some if any of the article.

One thing I will agree with is that people do put too much importance on the numbering or in this case letter grading, however as I said in my newer post I did not like the reviewing style. It is nothing personal against Hope. This is only my opinion and am certain for some people Hopes writing style is perfect.

Also unfortunately many people do solely base whether to watch an anime or play a game on its score or letter grading. Personally in regards to anime I have sampled almost everything this season that I would even have a remote possibility of liking. However many people only watch what someone else recommends. Most people are sheep basically or as I think further some just don't have time.

Curious to know also why many reviewers use different forum names it seems very confusing.

By the way Charred what is your profile picture from? It looks interesting.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Its a picture of the head of the mecha Soulgain from Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector. In particular its from the first opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcxXfWHL4qc

Crunchyroll has the entire series streaming here http://www.crunchyroll.com/super-robot-wars-og-the-inspector
Gritoit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks I will have to check it out since I normally like mecha anime.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay just my 2 cents I do not agree with hope's review on future diary and thought it was harsh. Still this is her take on the series not your's, not mine or anyone else. This is how she actually feels about the series and you can't force some-one to change their damn mind.

I used to feel the same-way however how is a negative review taking enjoyment away from you personally?? How does this review in all honesty affect how much you love or hate future diary, or is it a sad attempt to attack some-one who dared disagreed with you??

In short just enjoy what you enjoy, no one is f***** stopping you. If I had to break-down every-time I was insulted on a internet for liking KNJ then i wouldn't have a damn personal life. In short those moaning and groaning need to grow the f*** up already, I guarantee half of you couldn't professionally review a paper bag if give the task.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gritoit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
You are right it is her opinion though as I said before while I disagreed with her opinion it was not the subject of the post. It was the style in which the review was written the specific word choices and structure.

As I said in my newer post I did not like the reviewing style. It is nothing personal against Hope. This is only my opinion and am certain for some people Hopes writing style is perfect.

Also interesting you mention KNJ and yes that is a pretty controversial anime lol. I did watch it and it was ok. But yeah I am sure as you said there were most likely crazy differing opinions on it.

I am of the belief that I could write a well structured review. Though as I am sure is the case with any review, opinion or creative based work I would have people that would dislike my writing style and opinions as well. I think you have to develop somewhat of a thick skin when it comes to the public eye as there will always be people who love your work and others that do not care for it. What is important is that you the creator is happy with it first of all and that you can find an audience for your work.
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm not going to say anything about the review itself or how I feel about Mirai Nikki because obviously as someone who has anxiety attacks and seeing that simply reading through this thread has almost given me one, I really don't want to get too into this (and I'm certainly not going to come back and check on this thread to see who agrees or disagrees with me, because at this point I just don't care and I really don't need the stress...)

BUT!

Can I just point out one thing here?

I keep seeing a lot of talk about the rape scenes in Mirai Nikki and I realize that I've only seen the episodes that aired on TV and that the DVD/Blu-ray versions may have had more...um...'content' in that department but...

...frankly, as bad as it may be, the rape scenes did add to the back story (at least for me!) They gave you a very intense set of emotions and concern for the characters involved. spoiler[It made me feel sorry for Tsubaki when at first I just hated her and what she was doing. The same thing with Ai (which also gave me a whole lot of anger towards those awful chicks from her school). Yuno's bit was a bit forced but I could understand the actions Tsubaki was taking because she wanted Yuno to suffer as much as she did.] In the version I saw I wouldn't dare to call any of those scenes titillating or fanservice (like I said, the DVD/Bluray might have had more than what I saw, I don't know for sure.) To me there was enough shown to make you a bit squeamish and uncomfortable and to definitely get the point across about what was happening. Like I said, it was enough to make me uncomfortable but not at all 'sexy' or 'exciting' in my opinion. There just wasn't enough shown for that.

But my real problem, is why is no one else complaining about other anime that did the same, if not worse?

Why is no one mentioning the spoiler[almost rape] towards the ending of SAO? That certainly didn't provide a back story, it was only used to make Kirito act and well...to give that other butthole a really freaky sexual outlet. That was a lot of fanservice! And it made me feel WAY worse than the scenes in Mirai Nikki did! I actually had to turn off the audio and cover the screen (except for the subtitles) because I honestly felt nauseous. But from what I remember from Mirai Nikki and what I can remember from SAO, if I had to choose which one was going with sheer fanservice in those scenes...I'd have to say SAO. Mirai Nikki's wasn't as, for lack of a better word, 'showy.' Like I said though, perhaps the DVD/blu-ray versions had more but, just going from what I've actually seen, Mirai Nikki's was bad...but no where near the worst! And I really didn't feel like it was for fanservice all that much either.

But yeah, kinda annoyed no one has pointed stuff like that out yet.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
gilnokoibito wrote:

Why is no one mentioning the spoiler[almost rape] towards the ending of SAO?

probably because it was thoroughly beaten into the ground in the SAO thread
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
This was a really good series about three quarters of the way through, then the show starts to break down.

The whole story is completely cliched. Pulling from Metal gear to Evangelion, Bokurano to Mermaids Scar. The elements are there from old ideas that many other creators were known for, are heavily mixed around for something new for the new generation. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I really enjoyed Yuno and the whiny Yukii. I would love the Blu-rays of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11