• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Profit Falls Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
tidusora wrote:

That is true that their properties aren't at peak at this moment. Actually, Anime was the foundation of 4kids money. Why else would they get money? After all, they did license Pokemon a major hit, and after Pokemon USA got it, they are going to lose money.

And they're not climbing back up because they're not relying on anime. They're going to lose even more, progressively, not just at once.

That could very well be the case, but they've already said that they're trying to establish their own brands and franchises, rather than relying on foreign animation and licensed goods (That whole Chaotic thing, etc)

Quote:
Wrong Again! It would make them profit, as long as they put a different kind of rating on the boxes, saying this is not solely for children, but for older children or even Teenagers. After all, what happened to that one Teen Idea for 4kids?

It might make them a profit, but it wouldn't make them such a huge, substantial profit, not one they'd expect. They've also gone on record to say that the profit they seek/feel worthwhile isn't from DVD sales, but rather toys, games, etc (as they were going to offer their media for free).

Anyway, after the fiasco of Shaman King and Yugioh, it doesn't look like they're going back. TV series of Anime, even uncut, don't make as much as you think they would.

Quote:
Blech

Don't defend retards, it doesn't help you one iota. Public lambasting only helps seperate wheat from chaff, and I'd rather not be on a forum where something like that is easily (and usually is) dealt with.
TNaran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Finally,the evil 4kids empire is going to die.

That's the most outrageously biased otaku comment I have ever read, "naruto fan". You lot are bashing 4Kids solely on the failure of the One Piece dub, and conveniently forget they upgraded the anime market up from a "niche" to "mainstream", paving the way for other companies like FUNimation and Viz to make excellent and high quality shows.

WTF... How did you reach THAT conclusion!? Pokemon??? Cartoon Network did more to bring anime to the mainstream than 4Kids ever did. As well, look at the anime non-otaku people point to that brought them in:

* Robotech (Harmony Gold)
* Sailor Moon (DiC)
* Dragonball (FUNimation)
* Akira (Streamline originally)

(See the poll on this site, as well anecdotal evidence from various anime forums)

Where do you see 4Kids in there? I'm sure Pokemon got some of the younger generation in, but the market is much bigger than them.

If anything, their Pokemon license might have pushed back the cause by permanently associating anime in the mainstream mind with children shows that market toys and video games.

Quote:
4Kids' head was in the right place to realign One Piece for a child's demographic, though their efforts were disasterous. Incompetence is not a sin when the individual buyer has nothing to lose; 4Kids' only real problem is their hubris in delaying (or refusing) to release uncut subtitled One Piece DVDs. If they did that, they would be square with all the angered fans.

Less money means fewer available funds for financial "experiments", like said uncut DVDs. If 4Kids does well, the small hope of getting those DVDs increases.

Tell me... do you continue to patronize restaurants that always give you food poisoning, stores that sell you broken merchandise and haircutters who give you bad hair cuts?

4Kids deserves no loyalty for their bad service.

Sandy Frank didn't treat Gatchaman as badly as 4Kids treated its anime properties. Voyager entertainment Westernized Space Battleship Yamato, managed to fit within TV broadcast standards and still made it a good show. 4Kids treated their properties like crap and figured kids couldn't give a damn. And guess what: kids have some taste and that's why they didn't watch, and thus why 4Kids is suffering downturns despite their hand-waving of "restructuring, one-time charges, etc."

Hoping they get better? I hope they go bankrupt so the licenses can be re-assigned to companies that care about producing a decent product.

Last edited by TNaran on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amibite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Hate 4kids dubs all you want, but they are responsible for helping anime become more mainstream in America. Pokemon has done wonders for opening up the gateway for more anime to be liscenced and brought over here. While anime did exist here before Pokemon (notably Speed Racer, Robotech, and Dragonball Z) they were no where near as popular as Pokemon was back in its big boom (and Dragonball Z is probably the only one of those three that people knew it was from Japan)

I could care less on what your opinion is for their dubbing procedures, but if people are going to plug their ears and pretend 4Kids has done nothing for the anime market, they should just stop watching anime right now.

Quote:
(See the poll on this site, as well anecdotal evidence from various anime forums)

Where do you see 4Kids in there? I'm sure Pokemon got some of the younger generation in, but the market is much bigger than them.

You're logic is horribly flawed. You're directing us to anime websites run by fans to see whats popular. Anime fans are in the minority. The mainstream (as in, most of America) would know about Pokemon much more than the titles you listed.

Whats the fanbase finds popular and what the mainstream finds popular is two completely different things.
tidusora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Hate 4kids dubs all you want, but they are responsible for helping anime become more mainstream in America. Pokemon has done wonders for opening up the gateway for more anime to be liscenced and brought over here. While anime did exist here before Pokemon (notably Speed Racer, Robotech, and Dragonball Z) they were no where near as popular as Pokemon was back in its big boom (and Dragonball Z is probably the only one of those three that people knew it was from Japan)

I could care less on what your opinion is for their dubbing procedures, but if people are going to plug their ears and pretend 4Kids has done nothing for the anime market, they should just stop watching anime right now.

Wrong, Wrong, we never said that 4kids didn't start anything for the anime market. They did indeed release some popular titles for a chilren audience, which helped expand the thought to children thinking this was American Cartoons rather than Anime. It did contribute though.

We're just saying that 4kids didn't start it all, with Pokemon, like everyone says. We're stating that there were anime way before Pokemon that helped contribute to the anime market.
Ivyna J Spyder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
tidusora wrote:
It's like saying that due to the (failure) popularity of let's say Kirby Right Back at Ya, in America, that they would (waste) use their time wisely, to create another (failure) season. Just look at all three ratings, of all three shows, Ulimate Muscle, Fighting Foodons, and Kirby Right Back at Ya.

Look all of them up in Anime Review sites, and see how (craptacular) great these shows are.

...Man I'm hoping I just read that wrong and you did NOT just badmouth Kirby. :(

Seriously, that show got the WORST image because of the dub. One Piece at least has the uncut manga to save it, Kirby got turned into crap by the dub. And because no one subbed it (until recently :D I'm up to ep 33...) it didn't have a previous fanbase.

So really, if you've only seen the dub, don't judge it on that. It's a freaking sweet show and was popular in Japan.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I'll be sorry about 4kids going bankrupt the day they have a panel at an anime convention.

Its a two-way street. Even if 4kids somehow helped further anime into the mainstream, it does nothing but defecate onto the very people who post on this forum and read this website.

4kids is also JUST as to blame for not bringing anime further into mainstream, by your own logic, with their failure in OP.
kei-clone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
tidusora wrote:
kei-clone wrote:
Big News! Cartoons have been thought of as a children's market since the 1950's. 4Kids, through its marketing of the huge property that was/is Pokemon, almost single-handedly brought all Western eyes to Japan, and paved the way for the apex of anime popularity in 2002, which heralded the era of Yu-Gi-Oh, the emergence of the American Shounen Jump Magazine, [adult swim]'s formation (and the emergence of "adult anime" through Cowboy Bebop) and Dragonball Z's roaring reign as king on Cartoon Network.

Actually, 4Kids did not bring all western eyes to Japan. Remember the classic shows, Robotech, Speed Racer? Those brought Western Eyes in Japan. If you mean the 90's through 2000's, then Sailor Moon brought people's attention to anime. Sailor Moon appeared in both public and Cartoon Network channel(s)....

eh, misquotings...I didn't write those, terek did.

other than that, thanks to tidusora and OneHotAlchemist for the responses - pretty much my thoughts exactly. saved me a bunch of time responding to that.

Last edited by kei-clone on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
TNaran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:

Prove it. Pokemon showed up in 1998, but by then anime was on the growth curve by this point due in large part to Blockbuster suddenly stocking more anime. Pokemon was and is looked down upon by the mainstream.

In fact, I liked this summary on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime#Popularity_in_the_United_States:

“The support for anime among American anime fans is very strong. The availability of anime in America is truly impressive, especially within the anime fan community. Awareness of Japanese animation in America is at an all time high. However, mainstream acceptance of anime in America lags far behind the advances anime has made in other respects."

Quote:

Prove 4Kids did something for the market. I at least attempted to provide some evidence which you simply rejected.

Quote:
You're logic is horribly flawed. You're directing us to anime websites run by fans to see whats popular. Anime fans are in the minority. The mainstream (as in, most of America) would know about Pokemon much more than the titles you listed.

And laugh at it.

Quote:
Whats the fanbase finds popular and what the mainstream finds popular is two completely different things.

You figure Pokemon convinced Cartoon Network to show Cowboy Bebop?
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:

I'll be sorry about 4kids going bankrupt the day they have a panel at an anime convention.

I don't expect that day to come anytime soon, they have hundreds of millions stored in the bank. And besides, I wouldn't expect their profit to increase simply because alot of new shows are premiering in the fall, so they were busy producing new episodes. I predict that their next statement will indicate profit.

OneHotAlchemist wrote:

4kids is also JUST as to blame for not bringing anime further into mainstream, by your own logic, with their failure in OP.

First of all, there is a HUGE difference between the purpose of an OP (song) in Japan and North America. In Japan, OP's are primarily ment to promote the song, however in North America, its usually there just ..... well, just to get the audience to tune into the show. So by 4Kids "failing" to further OP's, that statement is absolutely ludacris. Besides, the OP shouldn't have to further Anime into mainstream, its the actual storyline and plot that should promote it.
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:

I don't expect that day to come anytime soon, they have hundreds of millions stored in the bank. And besides, I wouldn't expect their profit to increase simply because alot of new shows are premiering in the fall, so they were busy producing new episodes. I predict that their next statement will indicate profit.

OneHotAlchemist wrote:

First of all, there is a HUGE difference between the purpose of an OP (song) in Japan and North America. In Japan, OP's are primarily ment to promote the song, however in North America, its usually there just ..... well, just to get the audience to tune into the show. So by 4Kids "failing" to further OP's, that statement is absolutely ludacris. Besides, the OP shouldn't have to further Anime into mainstream, its the actual storyline and plot that should promote it.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Mozilla wrote:
don't expect that day to come anytime soon, they have hundreds of millions stored in the bank. And besides, I wouldn't expect their profit to increase simply because alot of new shows are premiering in the fall, so they were busy producing new episodes. I predict that their next statement will indicate profit.

You seem to have misunderstood my point. 4kids doesn't give a crap about anyone on this site. Why should I worry about them?

Quote:

First thing, OP=One Piece. Its the common abbreviation for the series. It does also refer to an OP song, but errrm, that doesn't make much sense in this case.

Last edited by OneHotAlchemist on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pokemon showed up in 1998, but by then anime was on the growth curve by this point due in large part to Blockbuster suddenly stocking more anime.

Quoted for truth. I wouldn't be the anime fan I am today if I hadn't found Ranma 1/2, Orphen, and Tenchi Muyo VHS tapes at Blockbuster.
Amibite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
tidusora wrote:
We're just saying that 4kids didn't start it all, with Pokemon, like everyone says. We're stating that there were anime way before Pokemon that helped contribute to the anime market.

Of course there were, I pointed that out. But the fact is Pokemon is the biggest contributer to the anime market in America (and a lot of other countries, like France, too). Dragonball Z may have helped anime get a foot in the door; but Pokemon kicked the door down and crashed the party. Without Pokemon anime would be far less mainstream than it is today.

Quote:
And laugh at it.

But they have heard of it...

Quote:
Prove it. Pokemon showed up in 1998, but by then anime was on the growth curve by this point due in large part to Blockbuster suddenly stocking more anime. Pokemon was and is looked down upon by the mainstream.

Again, I never said anime didn't exist. But thanks to Pokemon's huge mainstream hit (Pokemon being one of the most popular and successful franchises in the world, let alone Japan) it's now even more mainstream.

OneHotAlchemist wrote:

One Piece is not the holy father of all anime. One Piece being released uncut in America would do nothing for the anime market. Trying to say One Piece would help make it more mainstream like Pokemon did is laughable.
Pokejedservo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that this isn't a major blow they are not really just fine either...

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/734/

This is my take on 4Kids' business situations and practices.
TNaran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Big News! Cartoons have been thought of as a children's market since the 1950's.

Correct so far.

Quote:
4Kids, through its marketing of the huge property that was/is Pokemon, almost single-handedly brought all Western eyes to Japan, and paved the way for the apex of anime popularity in 2002,

How do you figure this? What is it with Pokemon fans that makes them believe that because Pokemon caught their attention it must have been what brought everyone else on board.

If anything, the anime boom germinated starting with Transformers and Robotech. Robotech was a big rating success in syndication, a rarity for most syndicated children's programming of the time.

Then Akira brought in the college/university aged crowd. It was a campus favorite for movie nights across North America and became the topic of essays on modern Japanese culture by hoity-toity lit-crit types. And most anime commentators point to the establishment of many anime companies shortly after the introduction of Akira to the home video market.

Quote:
which heralded the era of Yu-Gi-Oh, the emergence of the American Shounen Jump Magazine, [adult swim]'s formation (and the emergence of "adult anime" through Cowboy Bebop) and Dragonball Z's roaring reign as king on Cartoon Network.

Pokemon lead to Cowboy Bebop? Dragonball Z was being shown in syndication and on cable two years before Pokemon hit. And by the time Pokemon hit, Dragonball was in heavy rotation here in Canada on YTV (airing 3 times a day). A sure sign it was getting ratings. How do you figure Pokemon lead to Dragonball's success when all it was famous for was causing seisures?

Quote:
Basically put, Akira and Ghost in the Shell would still be 'cult films' instead of "science fiction standards" if 4Kids did not virtually introduce anime into Western vernacular, even if the term is "for adults".

This is the most bizarre and ignorant statement I have ever read, and I read rec.arts.anime.misc. Ghost in the Shell was a theatrical release and got two thumbs up from Siskel & Ebert:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19960412/REVIEWS/604120302/1023

Akira was a critical hit, and a home video hit:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/videos/akira.htm

See the dates on those reviews? When they were released, they were recognized. How old are you, by the ways? I was in University when Akira was released and I was not the otaku you see now. And everyone in the SF clubs were talking about it. And Ghost in the Shell was one of the most popular movie nights for the campus movie night. And this was before my university even had an anime club. This was in 1995. Pokemon aired in North America in 1998. How do you explain this?

Pokemon leads to Akira and Ghost in the Shell's stature? Come on!

The Pokemon fanatics on this board have some serious issues with reality. They have an inflated opinion of the impact of Pokemon and its perception by the mainstream.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10