• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Ultimate OVA II Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Oh!

I already actually saw it at my local anime shop (thought it was the old one, but then, now I'm sure it's the new one)... hmmm...

I wanna buy it, but I really shouldn't deviate from what I'm supposed to get over the next few months.

I'll probably just go with the new Hellsing... Taliesin Jaffe directed the new dub too, so I'm all set.

If you saw this in a store already, it's a bootleg. Don't buy it until after December 5th, and only from a store you know is legit.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If you saw this in a store already, it's a bootleg. Don't buy it until after December 5th, and only from a store you know is legit.

Hey Zac I don't think that DKL is talking about Hellsing OVA.....

DKL wrote:
Oh yeah... isn't Geneon coming out with like a cheaper Hellsing TV set?

We were actually talking about this. The new boxset that was recently release by Geneon featuring the Signature series dvd. But I could see how you thought DKL was referring to the OVA, since we are in a thread about the new OVA.

DKL wrote:
I already actually saw it at my local anime shop (thought it was the old one, but then, now I'm sure it's the new one)... hmmm...

This probably also threw you off your senses with DKL discussing how he thought it was the old one, (I bet you thought that this meant the old TV series version) I think the old one is suppose to be this.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was talking about the old er... old Hellsing TV set (which my shop did carry at one point).

They must've returned that (since it was like 90$) and got a lotta the new ones (which were only 40$) and since it's a popular series, they had a lot of them.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
hey Zac, since I love to prove you wrong, please correct me with real sources again.... because last time your answer was like "because I said so" either that, or japanese are real bad at spelling.

for you guys that invited me to play castlevania SOTN it happens that I am a fan of the series, and my ears hear very well the japanese pronunciation.

Now Zac, thing that you never do in your answers, I gonna prove you both the character of castlevania, and the character of hellsing are not the same (unless if I call you sak, or zakk, or zhack would be the same person answering answerman.

In the credits of Hellsing (the anime) please see the credits and on top of all the credits you will find these kanjis:

アーカード (a--ka--do) I dont see the "ru" in the middle or something resembling that so his name is either Akkad, or they used a funky spelling for Alucard.

Now in the credits of Castlevania SOTH, the character is called

アルカードが (a-ru-ka--do) That more or less sound directly like Alucard.

So kids, either :

1- they mispelled intentionally so they dont have problems with licenses or confusing the audience (or lazyness of the author)

2- the name of the character in hellsing is either Akkad or Akkard since sounds german to note the bloodline (and alucard is a very marketable name since is dracula backwards)

3-both kanjis means the same.

This is the answer I would expect of zac, but I got a slam in my face that "japanese accepted it" and just on that he based his point.

c'mon man, you are getting lazy through the years....
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Newsflash: Japanese people mangle western name/term, Japanese don't know any better, life goes on.

Newsflash two: Japanese people mangle western name, U.S company puts forward acceptable term/correction, people nitpick.

Newsflash Bees: There was a mistake, and while we're aware of the katakana used, you've got to remember that Japanese audiences aren't really aware of what is 'correct' when Foreign sounding (or just foreign) words are bought over into Katakana.

Quote:
find these kanjis:

アーカード (a--ka--do)

erm?

I'm going more with the author being somewhat lazier because if it WAS meant to be Akkard or whatever else, any official English translation would have used Akkard, because that's what the Japanese would have insisted on, probably during rights negotiations.

Even the LE version of the first episode in Japan, which came with some kind of book-end-bust gift thing, had "Arucard" on it. It's not uncommon for L's and R's to be mistaken (you should know this) and even less so for Japanese companies to even get correct English, because as far as they are concerned, it being in English, even if incorrect, is fair game.

I'd also go and trust Zac more on this, because unless you can prove otherwise, I'd imagine he would have a much heavier understanding/relationship/dialouge with industry workers/reps/whoever else than you would, so his word on a subject generally carries a lot more weight than joeblogs mcposter.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
kanjis:

Hard to take someone seriously who doesn't even know what Kanji is.

Anyway, Romanization of foreign terms isn't an exact science. Some authors take different approaches, especially as it concerns names. Now if Kouta Hirano had done both Castlevania and Hellsing, you might have a point. BUT he didn't, and it's entirely likely that Hirano just chose a different way to spell a name that's more or less impossible to write in Japanese in the first place.

And besides, spelling aside, they drop enough hints in the damn manga that it's pretty obvious exactly who he is, making this entire attempt of yours to simply pick a fight with someone for the sake of picking a fight completely and utterly moot. Now go troll somewhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
hey Zac, since I love to prove you wrong, please correct me with real sources again.... because last time your answer was like "because I said so" either that, or japanese are real bad at spelling.

I read your post and it sounds like you agree with what I said originally, you just have some chip on your shoulder about something and you're angry that I didn't go into great detail with my response.

"A slam in your face"? A little sensitive, are we?

Anyway I'm not even sure what you're trying to say with that post. It's extremely obvious that the guy's name is Alucard, especially since he's supposed to be Vlad the Impaler, otherwise known as Dracula, and the Japanese misspelled his name. There are lots of crazy engrish misspellings in the Japanese version of Hellsing, just like there are in countless other manga. They fix the English for the American release.

I'm not sure what you're "proving me wrong" on, anyway, especially since in both the American versions of Hellsing and SOTN the character is named Alucard. The only place any variation on that exists is in the subtitles on the R1 TV DVDs and that has largely been considered a mistake, seeing as how Dark Horse's translation of the manga has been vetted and approved by the Japanese, and in those volumes (and the dub) his name is Alucard.

Ugh. You do realize that you come across as just a troll with some vague problem with me when you start your post out as saying this is an obvious attack on me, right?
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
No man, not attack, healthy debate that's it

You guys break my heart when naming me a troll Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad , anyway yeah I made a mistake , I should point that was katakana so you guys are right on that and....

The post of Steventheeunuch was the most smart and funny and really took out my bug on the "pronunciation name" and I really appreciate that, posts like that are the ones that make me feel welcome and put a smile on my face.

But isn't this what it is, right? an opinion forum? you guys know about Hellsing than me so I thought that you guys gonna argue with really good points why Alucard name was like that.

Why everytime I ask some questions or point out something, a mighty high horse of knowledge have to come and push me out of the way, but even though I won't bother anybody, you guys can't deny the fact that we have an argument when the japanese pronunciation (in katakana) differ one from the other, maybe is the same name, maybe is not, but always someone has to come and play the "you'r wrong, idiot!" card.

Thanks everyone for reading my post, specially Steventheeunuch.

No attack, no flames, all friends at the end.....

Quote:
I'd also go and trust Zac more on this, because unless you can prove otherwise, I'd imagine he would have a much heavier understanding/relationship/dialouge with industry workers/reps/whoever else than you would, so his word on a subject generally carries a lot more weight than joeblogs mcposter.

Naaa, whoever goes to Anime-expo or any sort of anime convention can have that, he just works on an anime info news like there are tons there, I was never convinced that Zac manages more inside info like your average newtype reader.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

But isn't this what it is, right? an opinion forum? you guys know about Hellsing than me so I thought that you guys gonna argue with really good points why Alucard name was like that.

Well, then you have my sincere apologies for misreading or misinterpreting your post. It felt like an attack, and I get people sometimes who seem to have some vendetta against me, and I don't really know why.

But your comments here obviously say otherwise and I apologize for misinterpreting your remarks.

Quote:

Naaa, whoever goes to Anime-expo or any sort of anime convention can have that, he just works on an anime info news like there are tons there, I was never convinced that Zac manages more inside info like your average newtype reader.

Er, well, you're entitled to your opinion on the matter, I suppose, but I've been a journalist and an editor in this industry for around 7 years now. Anime News Network is a website run by professional journalists and editors; this is not an amateur, fan-run site. Although we are anime fans, we are professionals first; I make my living doing this. I support my family with the salary I make working here.

Also, I get the impression that you believe Anime News Network is like any other blog or any other news site; that's incorrect. This site is not run for free nor is it run entirely on volunteer labor; yes, we have (highly valued and respected) volunteers, but the management here works for a full-time paid salary, just like any magazine you read. In fact, I was hired back here from a job I held at a major American anime magazine.

So, again, I apologize for misinterpreting your comments. I never meant to offend you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7