• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Comics CEO on CMX, Tenjho Tenge Editing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deliverator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Tenjou Tenge is an utterly disgusting, chauvinistic and horrifying trash heap of a manga; CMX was fully justified in editing it to something more palatable. Any manga that glorifies rape should never, ever be circulated in the West, under any circumstances.

When was tenten glorifying rape ? I don't remember it ever being glorified... I remember 1 isntance of rape, and that guy got beat like a little bitch like he should of. All the sex i've seen in tenten was consentual.

Also what's this crap about grown men living in their mothers basement ?? That sounds like some sterotypical predjudice shit to me. Best to take a look at your own ignorance before lashing out at others and playing holier than thou. Just my 2 cents.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Frankly it is hard for me to beleive that there is a derth in titles awaiting translation. Why licence a problamatic title if your not ready to deal with it? Surely there are dozens of other titles and ones more suited to the demographic you want and that way you don't have to try these poor arse patch jobs that do nothing but outrage your fans.

While they say that they are doing it to appeal to a wider audience I see it in another way. They need to shape up and start being smarter about this issue or all they will end up doing is pissing off a devoted, informed segment of their audience. Tis one thing to blurr a nipple it is another to rework whore character relationships.

Really the way they were editing the series was as if they were appealing toward a totally different audience. While I understand you would want to expand your market but why would you purposly piss off your existing fanbase that you know for sure will buy not only volume #1 but every other one after that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deliverator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Oh yea I forgot to actually mention my stance on cmx/dc choice.

They dont have my $$ and wont be getting it. Im not gonna hate on them for this, it's their choice to screw themselves over. But it kind of makes me sad that I wont have an offiicial english translated unedited version of the books Crying or Very sad
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
"Part of the challenge is sometimes you're acquiring a series before it's finished. It may change over the course of its life and that will always be a certain amount of challenge."

Gotta agree with shrinknerv. A line of pure bull. Given the events of the first volume, they already knew better. Not only that, but the content, even after the censorship, was no longer appropriate for teens. You can try to tone the manga down, but the if the content is still not appropriate - what have you really done?

I abhor censorship like this. As I see it, I'm a consumer who pays for a company to faithfully translate the manga for me and put it book form. I don't pay them to think for me and I don't pay them to judge whether or not I'll like the content. That's up to ME as the consumer to decide - not them.

What I think CMX fails to realize as a whole is that not only will I not buy TenTen - but I won't buy any of their publications as a result of this. That means they didn't just lose one sale - they lost perhaps thousands of dollars in sales - because I disagree with their company policies. It's not enough to admit they did wrong - if they won't fix the problem - they aren't doing anything at all.

I believe that censorship is wrong and is not really needed in this current day and age where the fans are getting older. The pokemon kids of ten+ years ago? They are growing up. I'm sure they would like manga that's geared towards them. If they leave the older fanbase behind, companies like CMX are bound to die sooner or later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
At this point, no one really expects them to. In fact, if you bother to read the posts, you'll notice that no one is even discussing whether or not they will.

I'm not just referring to this forum, but just the fact that it keeps getting brought up in Q&As and interviews. CMX should have it on their FAQs.

It's just that it's like when someone picks the D answer on the very first question of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?".

"Are you sure that's your answer?"
"...really sure?"
"You can change your mind you know."
"Absolutely final answer?"
"...sigh...no money for you."
shrinknerv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
birdboy2000 wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:
I don't have to. CMX cleaned up house and showed those silly otaku who the real boss of the publishing industry really is.

They can sell all the watered-down crap they want, but it doesn't matter if no one buys it.

The real boss -- that'd be a company like Tokyopop or Viz, that embraces the fanbase and doesn't hack up manga like it's still 1998 -- and incidentally, is much bigger in the industry.

CMX will feel it in the pocketbook soon enough, if they aren't doing so already.

Sadly, I don't think that's the case. People have been hoping that they'd be losing money for years, and yet, they still continue to addess the issue just the same by ignoring fan and industry scolding (other companies like Tokyopop have harped on them) and refusing to find a mature solution or even apologize.

And Malintex Terek, why would you need to say that. The only reason I can see is that you really don't care about discussion and just want to piss people off. In that case, you too can grow up.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
Deliverator wrote:
Oh yea I forgot to actually mention my stance on cmx/dc choice.

They don't have my $$ and wont be getting it. Im not gonna hate on them for this, it's their choice to screw themselves over. But it kind of makes me sad that I wont have an offiicial english translated unedited version of the books Crying or Very sad

I feel the same way....

my monthly anime/game/manga budget is probably close to $750+ a month....and yes i do save to bonds and savings account at $900 a month....whatever leftover after paying monthly bills and food is for my own spending....

so far CMX has $0 of my dollar....Tokyopop probably has most of my money since they have most titles out....ADV needs to catch up and start releasing their stuff....especially Gunslinger Girl....Viz also gets top titles such as ROD....Dr Master has few of the titles I like....Del Rey also puts out quality titles...loved their decision not to edit Negima after fan petitioin....

for other people who have limited budget, their dollar does not go far and have to decide on what to spend much more carefully....some people feel that editing hurts quality of the manga release...especially when each frame says LOT more than anime....

so they go with titles that they know they'll get the whole story without the plot watered down and changed significantly...it feels like you're getting a BMW M5 with Chevy Cavalier engine, imo....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
The reasoning behind TenTen is non-sensical. The original content targets mature audiences to begin with. Would they take some hentai manga and edit the title so that it has a wider distribution reach? And what's even more foul is that CMX pushes other properties that are mature and aptly labeled. What the hell?
Cave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
birdboy2000 wrote:
The real boss -- that'd be a company like Tokyopop or Viz, that embraces the fanbase and doesn't hack up manga like it's still 1998 -- and incidentally, is much bigger in the industry.

Woo. Watch out, Prince of Tennis fan coming through here.

VIZ "embracing the fanbase"? "Doesn't hack up"? Uhm, what? The number one company, IMO, for keeping manga the "purest" would be Del Rey, then Tokyopop... at the very bottom is CMX and just above that is Viz. Viz HAS edited content before - Yami no Matsuei and Shaman King anyone? (While it is obvious that Viz does care about giving to fans and being a cool company, but I do not at all agree with their policies. Especially that of editing sfx.)

Now, onto the TenTen article.

Obviously, it is complete crap. CMX is trying to make it seem like they had justified reasoning for screwing this manga. In fact, they don't... Ok, well they do, but not without making themselves look like arrogant a-holes. Their excuses can be summed up into a simple equation:

More Sales = More Profit

By doing this and saying what they have, they have thus proven that they are a company that cares about the money in their pockets more than what the fans want. That, my good sirs, is pathetic.
garry
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
It's not even worth getting pissed off over anymore. TenTen was trashy and perverted and it was just a bad idea to bring it over edited. That said, they proved they could make their money even after alienating a portion of their customer base. (Thankfully, no other manga importers have Time Warner paying the bills.)

Basically, they decided they could do without my money and so did I.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
garry:
Quote:
That said, they proved they could make their money even after alienating a portion of their customer base.

How so?

Quote:
(Thankfully, no other manga importers have Time Warner paying the bills.)

Thus contradicting your previous statement. You do know their studio president just apologized for the bad year they just had wasting money on stupid ventures which didn't pan out, right? If they didn't monopolize(I mean, buy) Adelphia, their stock would be piss poor this quarter. But like the A-Oh-Hell merger, it's gonna bite them in the arse sooner or later.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Thank god that i only read GALS! but if CMX lays a finger on gals someone's going to get it *grabs clever and jason mask*.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
urumi_chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Of all the years I have visted this site I have never felt the need to post in the forum until now. First off, I would like to explain a little bit about myself. I am a 26 year old female who grew up reading Marvel comics as a child and who switched to more mature comics like DC Comics' Vertigo line in her late teens. I became interested in manga around 1999 with titles like Fushigi Yuugi and X. At this point I mostly read manga but I do pick up the occasional American comic series like Joseph Michael Linsner's Dawn. Now, with that introduction out of the way here is my opinion on the topic of DC\CMX. Brace yourself, because this is going to be a loooong post...

I was incredibly dissappointed, even heartbroken, when I first learned that the company who published great adult comics in the 90's like Sandman and Preacher would result to butchering an adult manga title just to boost sales. Sure, all companies who publish manga are in the business to make money. Titles that are aimed towards the teen and pre-teen demographics are going to make the most money. What I don't understand is why CMX chose to license a popular adult title by a well known hentai artist and try to pass it off as a title appropriate for teens. I agree with those who called BS on the excuse that sometimes titles change in the middle of their run. This can happen, but from day one TenTen was an adult title published in an adult monthly magazine. It's true that it has become more graphic in recent volumes, but it was never meant to be a title aimed at kids. I really have no idea how CMX plans to edit volume 14 and on. If they take away the adult content on these volumes they will have about 20 pages worth of material that they can pass off as appropriate for teens.

Malintex Terek wrote:
Tenjou Tenge is an utterly disgusting, chauvinistic and horrifying trash heap of a manga; CMX was fully justified in editing it to something more palatable. Any manga that glorifies rape should never, ever be circulated in the West, under any circumstances.

Shocked
...wow. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but don't you think you are being just a wee bit judgemental here? Like I said earlier, I am a 26 yr old female, and I would not read a title that glorified rape. Just becaue a character is raped in a manga doesn't mean that it is glorified in any way. If anything, showing that villians will stoop to this level is being realistic. Evil people commit rape, and that is what the scene demonstrated--that the character was an evil person. The women of TenTen are strong and beautiful, and of course well endowed (this is a seinen manga afer all). Aya and Maya Natsume are great characters who happen to be hot women--nothing wrong with that. For me, Aya's character develpment has been one of the most enjoyable parts of the story. There's also plenty of hot guys to keep female readers interested as well (Shin, Mitsuomi, and Ichiyou for those who have read the current chapters).

Malintex Terek wrote:
I don't have to. CMX cleaned up house and showed those silly otaku who the real boss of the publishing industry really is.

Then again, I wouldn't expect grown men who live in their mother's basements to realise something as painfully obvious as that. Hah.

Now this comment is just ridiculous. What about a grown woman who hasnn't lived at home in 7 years? A woman who has a career and who would like to spend her hard earned money on manga with mature content every now and then? I like shonen and shoujo manga just as much as anyone else, but I also like to read titles with more adult subject matter. In fact, my favorite manga series is Berserk, which luckily enough is being released by Dark Horse completely unedited. It comes shrinkwrapped with a parental advisory sticker on it so there's no mistaking what age group it is being aimed at. It's about $4 more than most other manga available. I have no problems paying that amount, and would glady pay that for unedited Tenjho Tenge volumes. I like TenTen because the art is beautiful and the story is intruiging. The most recent volumes have delved deep into feudal Japanese history and, as a Japanese history buff, I have found these volumes fascinating. I love how Oh! Great has taken actual historical events and people and used them to explain the complicated history of the 12 families.

With all this said I realy don't think anything is going to change. I am not naive enough to think CMX will ever release TenTen unedited. All I can do is wait for their license to expire so that a more competent company like Del Rey can pick it up. Until then I will continue to support Oh! Great by buying the Japanese manga volumes as they are released. I advise anyone else who is disgusted by CMX's treatment of the series to do the same (as long as you are 18 or older of course Very Happy )
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
coolGAL: I hear CMX doesn't include bonus material for their uncensored manga.

urumi:
Quote:
What about a grown woman who hasnn't lived at home in 7 years? A woman who has a career and who would like to spend her hard earned money on manga with mature content every now and then?

Any tips for job-hunting? Wink

Quote:
The most recent volumes have delved deep into feudal Japanese history and, as a Japanese history buff, I have found these volumes fascinating. I love how Oh! Great has taken actual historical events and people and used them to explain the complicated history of the 12 families.

Wow, I never thought a fan would praise Tenjho Tenge from that perspective. I take it you're also into Lone Wolf and Cub?
coolGAL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
coolGAL: I hear CMX doesn't include bonus material for their uncensored manga.

urumi:
Quote:
What about a grown woman who hasnn't lived at home in 7 years? A woman who has a career and who would like to spend her hard earned money on manga with mature content every now and then?

Any tips for job-hunting? Wink

Quote:
The most recent volumes have delved deep into feudal Japanese history and, as a Japanese history buff, I have found these volumes fascinating. I love how Oh! Great has taken actual historical events and people and used them to explain the complicated history of the 12 families.

Wow, I never thought a fan would praise Tenjho Tenge from that perspective. I take it you're also into Lone Wolf and Cub?
I am not trying to stand up for CMX but the bonus Material is uncensored.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5