• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Chain Seeking Deal to Avoid Store Closures

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
It's a shame, I love Borders.

And, am I the only one that likes to browse?
Maybe I'm different, but a lot of the manga/novel titles I pick up are from browsing, and aren't something I'd normally pick up with out checking it out first.

I love to browse also. While I'm generally content to use Amazon when I want volume n of some series I've been following from the beginning or when I'm content to blind-buy, there are times when I'd like to actually look through a book before buying (and 'Look Inside!' doesn't always suffice). That said, when I browse and decide to buy, my sense of ethics usually compels me to go ahead and buy in-store (as opposed to putting the book back on the shelf and then buying through Amazon).

I've frankly wondered why Borders hasn't attempted to get in on the used market (Amazon has, and other niche retailers [Gamestop for instance] have seemingly relied on that business model for quite a while). The margins on used merchandise have to be much more attractive.

I hope the naysayers are wrong about their prospects for survival, although the fact my local store still has a large CD section makes me question the company's business acumen. A brick and mortar bookstore is generally a nice, peaceful place to kill time every now and then, and I'd hate to see them vanishing en masse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2