• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream One Piece Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quote
The last frame still has the "License coordinated by FUNimation Entertainment." line so it wouldn't surprise me if this was indeed done with them.

Not sure HD was available right away last night as they were having trouble with encoding it at first so it was late and I went to bed rather than wait for it but as of Sunday early morning 1080p is available so I expect 1080p will be available right away as a matter of course.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
The last frame still has the "License coordinated by FUNimation Entertainment." line so it wouldn't surprise me if this was indeed done with them.

I would be very surprised if that was there by mistake. Hopefully this means a thawing of the relationship between Crunchyroll and Funimation (which isn't necessarily the case, noting that the participation of Viz Media in Crunchyroll's deals for Naruto and Bleach hasn't yet led to Viz including Crunchyroll in their seasonal series streaming).

If its a mistake, it'll be noticed and fixed before next week, so the small chance that its a mistake will go away if, as I expect, its still there in next week's simulcast.

Quote:
Not sure HD was available right away last night as they were having trouble with encoding it at first so it was late and I went to bed rather than wait for it but as of Sunday early morning 1080p is available so I expect 1080p will be available right away as a matter of course.

Was there anyone who was there for the actual launch?

When materials are delayed for whatever reasons, the streams sometimes go up in increasing order of resolution, just because the lower resolution encodes finish first ... OTOH, given the title, they might have held everything until all resolutions were available, just to avoid the flurry of confusion.

But I also didn't hang around, I went to bed, finished watching the rest of the first Hobbit movie on HBO2Go and fell asleep.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
hpulley wrote:
... Not sure HD was available right away last night as they were having trouble with encoding it at first so it was late and I went to bed rather than wait for it but as of Sunday early morning 1080p is available so I expect 1080p will be available right away as a matter of course.

Was there anyone who was there for the actual launch?

When materials are delayed for whatever reasons, the streams sometimes go up in increasing order of resolution, just because the lower resolution encodes finish first ... OTOH, given the title, they might have held everything until all resolutions were available, just to avoid the flurry of confusion.

But I also didn't hang around, I went to bed, finished watching the rest of the first Hobbit movie on HBO2Go and fell asleep.

Comments below the video on Crunchyroll:

Quote:
EricFailsyou Premium Member
11 hours ago
HD will be coming up soon, don't complain so much though guys. Do you know how long we have been waiting for this? How much we have put into asking for it? Now our time has come! Let rejoice! 1..2..1, 2 ready go! "...Yo-hohoho, Binkusu no-"

fanology Premium Member
11 hours ago
"Availability Notes Episode 619 will be available in HD shortly."

rikku456 Premium Member
10 hours ago
I am suuuuuuuuuppppppppppeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr excited about 720p
ForgottenT Premium Member
10 hours ago
Finally 1080p
Evanjs Premium Member
9 hours ago
DEAR GOD CR GOT IT IN 1080P O_O

So it seems like 1080p was available approximately 1-2 hours later, perhaps 1 hour after when 720p hit which was 1 hour after when I assume 480p went up.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
[ So it seems like 1080p was available approximately 1-2 hours later, perhaps 1 hour after when 720p hit which was 1 hour after when I assume 480p went up.

That's about the difference in processing times that was cited when the issue of later roll-out for some higher resolution streams was raised. So it was a delay somewhere upstream and they put it up the encodes as fast as they finished.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
hpulley wrote:
[ So it seems like 1080p was available approximately 1-2 hours later, perhaps 1 hour after when 720p hit which was 1 hour after when I assume 480p went up.

That's about the difference in processing times that was cited when the issue of later roll-out for some higher resolution streams was raised. So it was a delay somewhere upstream and they put it up the encodes as fast as they finished.
Similar issues last night, no entry in the schedule and when it finally went up it was lacking HD versions which came later, available now.

Edit: but interestingly the Funimation licensing line was removed from the end frame of episode 620! So perhaps it was a mistake to include it in episode 619 after all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3