• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wind Rises, Madoka Magica, Momo Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You could squeeze an ocean of negativity from all these posts.

Create our own Negative Zone, even.

Never said Madoka Magica had a great chance, or even a good chance.

All that matters is it has a chance, stranger things have happened at the Oscars.

All the naysayers may be right, but we won't know until Oscar night.

I just find it irritating when people pop in to say "yo, let's all be honest, this thing you're talking about really sucks, even though I'm not going to explain myself at all, you should just agree with me."

That was my way of expressing my frustration at that kind of post.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Madoka isn't yet eligible - it hasn't had its 1-week L.A. theater run (could do it next year). Also, Japan already submitted its Foreign Film applicant (The Great Passage directed by Yuya Ishii) - every country is only allowed one.

Meanwhile, it's possible that Funimation and Japanese co. didn't submit the Wolf Children paperwork that's required.

Madoka opens in December. It will be eligible.

Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I guess I gotta join in the choir of wondering why Wolf Children hasn't been submitted. Not sure if something has disqualified it or FUNimation hasn't bothered to run it for one week in LA...Still I would like to see Madoka get a nomination at least, it likely wouldn't win if it did especially if it's going against Miyazaki's last film.

Though what MAY help Madoka's chances with the voters is it's unique designs from Gekidan Inu Curry but yeah it's very unlikely.

Good luck.

Wolf Children had its 1 week run in LA about a month ago... Sigh...
GATSU wrote:
Gohan: It didn't get nominated, because there wasn't a Best Animated Film category yet, when it initially came out.

Yeah, that is a slight problem... LOL
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Okay lets be serious here, Madoka would have no chance in any format, any film, etc.

Chance at what?

I think people sometimes lose the plot in all this ~ the aim of the anime films is to snare an Oscar nomination ~ if they get that, submitting for the Oscar and the one week run in LA is worth it. "Oscar Nominee for Best Animated Feature Film" in the English language promotional material and the featured placement that goes with it in many places from then on is worth money.

So the news in this news story is not just the number of anime films submitted, but also the total number of films that have submitted. If at least 16 of these 19 films are accepted, then there will be five nominees, which increases the chance of one or two anime films getting that coveted nomination.

Indeed, having three anime films submitted may well increase the chance that one of the three will get a nomination ... if some of those nominating do a "well, which of these three anime is most suitable for a nomination", and if many end up agreeing 'which' anime should get the nod, that makes it more likely one of the anime get nominated.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
His point wasn't to discuss that, he wanted to let us know he doesn't like Madoka.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent: They would never have gone near Grave of the Fireflies with a ten foot pole, because parents would complain about them promoting a cartoon where children die.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Lia: Wolf Children's too long. And it's a tad sexist in that the mom is just a vessel to be mother and housewife, with no life of her own.
Not as sexist as this statement. Just what is wrong with a woman wanting to be a mother and housewife for you to virtually spit on the position with such contempt?

GATSU wrote:

Also, Wind Rises is darker than most films which win, *and* skirts the issue of a guy who helped build planes which gave us Pearl Harbor.
When the veterens that are mostly on the Academy board finally discover this they will no doubt send Wind Rises spiralling down in flames like all the other Zeros too. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk:
Quote:
Just what is wrong with a woman wanting to be a mother and housewife for you to virtually spit on the position with such contempt?

There's nothing wrong with it, if they want to do it. But the issue I have is that she solely exists for that purpose.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Lia: Wolf Children's too long. And it's a tad sexist in that the mom is just a vessel to be mother and housewife, with no life of her own.
Not as sexist as this statement. Just what is wrong with a woman wanting to be a mother and housewife for you to virtually spit on the position with such contempt?

I wouldn't say he went that far (certainly not intentionally), but I totally agree with where you're coming from. I thought it was a beautiful film about motherhood, and came out of it thinking about all the sacrifices my own mother had made to raise me and my sister. Hana is a kind of woman who doesn't get nearly enough respect in society anymore, and I was thrilled to see a film celebrating someone like her.
Valestini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Madoka has a slight chance to be nominated. I haven't seen the movie yet, but if it's better or at the same level than the previous ones or the series, the overall quality might be enough to make it through.

But the main asset of Madoka is commercial. Don't forget that Guillermo del Toro and Hollywood were interested in Madoka, and Madoka may be bankable. So if you want to make some kind of adaptation of this franchise, it would be great from a marketing point of view to get the material source nominated.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
His point wasn't to discuss that, he wanted to let us know he doesn't like Madoka.

Yeah, I realized that ... after all, I just posed the question because I wanted to let y'all know I think the point is snaring the nomination, even if there is close to 0% chance of beating an American animated production for the Oscar itself.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mohawk:
Quote:
Just what is wrong with a woman wanting to be a mother and housewife for you to virtually spit on the position with such contempt?

There's nothing wrong with it, if they want to do it. But the issue I have is that she solely exists for that purpose.
Then you'll have that same issue with every woman that solely dedicates her life to supporting and raising her child, or children, and with Hana as a single parent as well. She knew what she was in for when she had Yuki, but it obviously didn't put her off having another child knowing full well whatever the gender the DNA would turn out the same. What she didn't expect was to suddenly lose her only support with helping to raise them so soon, and with the added problem of her and her family being rejected and ostracised because of their "differences" by society she had no other choice, but to flee to the quiet reclusiveness of the country away from the city. Indeed Hana deserves a meddle from the Emperor.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

spoiler[She's pretty darn young at the end of the movie. One of her defining traits is her eagerness to learn, so I think it's safe to assume that if she doesn't immediately find someone else and have more kids, she would probably continue to study. It's a story of motherhood, but it's obvious that there's going to be more to her life.]

It's also odd to say that it's sexist to have a story about a single mother being a single mother.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

Really? *gasp!* I never would have guessed. It's not like he brings it up every single chance he has in any thread he can. Oh... wait.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
FFS, my point is that she's treated more like an object than a person. In other words, she doesn't have free will. She's just a baby pumping machine and domestic servant, not an individual.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Really? *gasp!* I never would have guessed. It's not like he brings it up every single chance he has in any thread he can. Oh... wait.

I'm glad I haven't stumbled upon him before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6