• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
But, they should have mercy on some of us who haven't bought Platinum yet. Crying or Very sad

This just totally bought back my fear of investing again in Eva. I keep thinking that as I buy one version another version will get released in the following year.

I hope ADV gets the movies.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I can almost smell the milking of Evangelion. Seriously, it's becoming like Star Wars. They keep releasing the DVD's over and over again and now the want to do more projects. I wish Hideki Anno would do something different like when he did Ebichu.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
The next question is who will license it for the US? ADV, Manga, FUNimation or Geneon? Then where will it air: Toonami, Adult Swim or another network?

ADV or Manga most likly, as they, as much as Anno, would probably love the chance to milk EVA even more. Also, toonami? Where'd you get an idea like that? If memory serves, five episodes of the series aired with TV-MAs so toonami would be 100% out of the question. Also, I doubt they'd air them on [as] before they air EoE (which will probably never happen). So my geuss: Licensor: ADV. Broadcastor: Anime network perhaps?
NervClaX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
MOO!

I bought it on video, I bought it on DVD, I bought it when it went Platinum, I'm still waiting for Sadamoto to finish the manga, I'm reading Angelic Days in the meantime, I'd probably get the games if they were made available in the U.S. Lucas made 3 prequels. Anno is going for 4. Let's just hope it doesn't sully our memory of the original series.
YUGI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I personally think that these animated movies were made to raise capitol for the live action EVA movie. Gainax already put up 50 million, and ADV has put up absolutely nothing.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Remember guys, this is supposed to be new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Some "images" I guess for the new movie.

http://mizuki.onmitsu.jp/warehouse/festival/10th/index.html
dokool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I can honestly say that I'm speechless. I bought the Original box set, the Platinum volumes individually, the movies individually, the R2 version of EoE Renewal, and will probably buy the R1 EoE renewal as well. Evangelion is one of if not my only favorite series of all time, and it was the series that officially hooked me into anime.

But... four movies? That's a stretch.

Still. Tsurumaki did quite well with FLCL and Top Wo Nerae 2. Sadamoto's characters are still strong even 10 years from now. Yamashita's mechs are probably some of the most famous in anime. And Anno is still Anno.

So, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gooku Hooku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
...What?

What the hell are you doing, Anno? Are they just inserting your name into this, or do you actually support all this? What the HELL.

I'm a big fan of Evangelion. I listened to Anno talk about how he was content with the original series and original ending, how he basically didn't mind what other people thought of it. Then The End was made, and despite what looked like mixed feelings among some of the staff, I watched it and lived with it spoiler[(even if I had to listen to everyone talk about how "philosophical" and "symbolic" it was just because they had Evas impaling eachother/themselves with spears). It was basically the same ending, so I didn't mind]. This was the second ending. It was called "The End of Evangelion," for the love of God...

For my own sake, I'm lucky that Anno hasn't been credited as a writer for the entire series of projects, or I would have...Uh...Cried? Heh. Really, I know nothing I say amounts to anything in reality, but I'm almost feeling disgust at this point, and the only thing holding me back is that I don't understand the entirety of the project. It was evident that GAINAX has been milking Evangelion from day one, that's not the issue here. I simply can't stand it being tampered with by the same person who invested so much into it and who seemingly maintains a strong, personal "bond" with it.

I could be misinterpreting the nature of this project, but from what I'm seeing now they really have crossed the damn line.

(On another note: "Khara, a new studio that shares office space with Gainax, was recently set up and is seeking production staff to work on Anno's new project."

Is this the series of movies, or a new project entirely? Just wanted that cleared up.)
Ladymercury

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Anno will make it and the fanboys will buy it.

Can't break a 10+ year tradition.

I lol'ed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
This will only be acceptable if they're all called "Pen Pen Gaiden" and revolve around the life of the greatest penguin of all time.

Seriously though, even though I'm a huge fan of Evangelion, I hate to see the overmilking of it, because it only sends the rabid Eva haters into a frenzy about how "EVA SUX, THAT ONE GUY ADMITTED ALL THE SYMBOLISM WAS JUST TO LOOK KEWL" and I have to explain again that the symbolism has significance within the context of the story. NGE haters will again unite in their absolute hate for a show they feel is faking depth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
dahpaper: I'm guessing Gainax is making a sequel, because they saw how well it did for SQ'Enix. Rolling Eyes Also, Gunbuster 2 reminds me too much of those Disney sequels.

Gooku: Now you know how I feel about Clerks 2. Rolling Eyes
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Gainax should consider animating Evangelion Re-Take. Re-Take is probably even better than whatever the 4 movies will be about. In my mind, Re-Take is the TRUE ending to EVA, regardless of the fact that Gainax had nothing to do with it. It really is the best thing to happen to Evangelion in many years, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wow, Anno is almost as greedy as Lucas.

Damn your brutal Gatsu.....Don't forget at least Lucas always had the prequel in mind when he first starting making star wars.....This new Evangelion well that a whole new thing....I can only imagine the fanboy once this movie gets released.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Gooku Hooku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
dahpaper: I'm guessing Gainax is making a sequel, because they saw how well it did for SQ'Enix. Rolling Eyes

Why does this statement have so much truth behind it? WHY? Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6