• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 4 Gets 'Dancing All Night' Rhythm Game For Vita

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Leebo wrote:
Why do people care if they make side games as long as they're also making the main games? Good lord, the existence of things you don't like doesn't affect you.
Because they could be funding side games we'd want instead of this.

How about just make that 3DS game for vita instead/as well. How about a Persona 3 Golden? I don't know something more worthwhile than a dance game.

I mean if you're interested in this, by all means be excited. No one is trying to stop you from being excited.

If you define "we" as "people who don't want it" then yes, they're just making games that "we" don't want. What are they thinking at Atlus, they don't understand "us"!

PS they announced two other games besides P5 as well.
They announced an expansion/sequel to Arena and the 3DS game which I said would have been cool if it was also on Vita.

I clearly didn't say they weren't making other games and I'm not trying to speak for everyone. I just think this dancing game looks stupid and would like the Persona name and Atlus in general to do things more worthwhile. Sorry, I think this is a waste and just lame milking.

I bet most of the people could care less about the gameplay. They just want to see Rise dance. Oh boy what a good reason for a game to exists.

Whatever I'm not going to buy it, but I sure would like actual Atlus games on the Vita that I want to play. Oh boy, so far it's just P4 Golden. PSP had tons of Atlus games I liked so excuse me for hoping the same with the Vita and being turned off when they deliver something like this.

RyanSaotome wrote:
They already did a handheld Persona 3 game. A music game is more worthwhile than a rehash.
For you maybe, but I don't care about Hatsume whatever name is with her terrible music and character design.

And P3P takes out the ability to move around outside of the dungeon. Give me a P3P with Fes and full ability plus Portable's fixes and you have the best Persona game. Rehash? I guess. A rehash is currently the best thing about the Vita and the PSP. So bring em on.

Quote:
I don't think you realize how popular music games are in Japan, especially for Vita.
And I don't belive I said anything about sales and business sense. I'm sure this game will make money.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The Persona series gets so many spinoffs and re-releases, I just have a hard time understanding why someone would pick out one to complain about.

Personally, I've only wanted them to work on P5 since P4 came out. I don't go around whining about every spinoff they churn out in the meantime though, since I knew they were working on P5.

The chances I'll buy any of the 3 spinoffs that were announced is low.

Last edited by Leebo on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
The Persona series gets so many spinoffs, I just have a hard time understanding why someone would pick out one to complain about.

Personally, I've only wanted them to work on P5 since P4 came out. I don't go around whining about every spinoff they churn out in the meantime though, since I knew they were working on P5.

The chances I'll buy any of the 3 spinoffs that were announced is low.

I'll buy all of them to support Atlus and their quality games. Everything I've ever played by Atlus has been an amazing experience.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with dance and rhythm games, I just don't like this because it cheapens the characters. Taking characters from a very serious RPG and turning them into expert dancers is a terrible thing to do. I can't believe people are actually OK with this! It's an insult to the franchise to turn them into a cheap laugh like this.

And let's not kid ourselves, this is in no way an Atlus game, this has Sega's fingerprints all over it. Sega buys Index and shortly after we learn the developer of Sega's Miku Hatsune dance games is making one for Persona 4. Yeah, I can't say I'm to optimistic about the franchise's future if this is the type of games we have to look forward to. I'm pretty fearful of what Sega's influence will do to Persona 5.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
a very serious RPG

Uh... it's a game with serious parts and silly parts.

Besides, Rise is already an idol in the game.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't see whats wrong with putting "serious" characters into silly situations. As a big Type-Moon fan, I loved Carnival Phantasm since it was a comedy show about all of their characters... I don't think a non canon show made the characters any worse or anything. Its just there for you to enjoy, not to take so seriously.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeaaah, can't say I'll be getting this one. Love the series but rhythm games just arent my thing. I have three other Persona games to get though, so can't really complain.

I'm a little curious if this game's story will actually be relevant to anything.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what the big deal about a 'silly' game coming out is. Persona 4, for all it's seriousness...is still rife with goofy stuff. Mystery Food X or the crossdressing pageant anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Emerje wrote:
a very serious RPG

Uh... it's a game with serious parts and silly parts.

Besides, Rise is already an idol in the game.

It's a serious game with some silly moments to help break up the monotonie.

And what does Rise being an idol have to do with anything? It's not like she's the only character in the game.

RyanSaotome wrote:
I don't see whats wrong with putting "serious" characters into silly situations. As a big Type-Moon fan, I loved Carnival Phantasm since it was a comedy show about all of their characters... I don't think a non canon show made the characters any worse or anything. Its just there for you to enjoy, not to take so seriously.

At least that was made by Type-Moon. This is clearly a Sega game even if it does say Atlus on the label. If another company had bought Index this game would have not been made.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It's a serious game with some silly moments to help break up the monotonie.

And what does Rise being an idol have to do with anything? It's not like she's the only character in the game.

You're downplaying just much of the game is silly and/or frivolous. It's a lot of it. There's no expectation that the characters don't do fun things.

And... why does it matter that Rise is an idol? Because it's an idol dance game. Yeah, the other characters are going to join her. But you're making it sound like the idea of idols and P4 are completely foreign and unrelated.

You took the game way too seriously if you think it's some kind of atrocity to show the characters dancing.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. What kind of timeline are you proposing for this Sega theory? Sega won the bid for Atlus in September and on day 1 they demanded this game? Or did they wait until they actually had control on November 1st? I'm thinking all 3 of these were in development before Atlus was sold.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
They already did a handheld Persona 3 game. A music game is more worthwhile than a rehash.

I don't think you realize how popular music games are in Japan, especially for Vita.

Agree with RyanSaotome. Atlus is working on the main games, while other create side games, its perfectly fine.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
When I said they are milking for what it's worth I meant it. Well, it's no surprise. I guess now is a better time than any. And Shoji Meguro's music is the perfect sound for this type of thing. Though I may pass on this OST unless I see something that makes it worth buying.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
Has Kanami ever been given a face before now? I can't recall. That's interesting she's included in the game given how minor a role she performed in P4.

She hasn't. She was only mentioned, and her last name was never mentioned.

I honestly want Yukiko in there. Also, why not Persona 3 characters too? I would love to dance as Akihiko and Mitsuru, Yukari and Minato (Makoto). Maybe change around their costumes like in the Project Diva games.

Somehow I can't see Yukiko busting a groove. If they had her it'd probably be traditional Kabuki fan dancing or something.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
Has Kanami ever been given a face before now? I can't recall. That's interesting she's included in the game given how minor a role she performed in P4.

She hasn't. She was only mentioned, and her last name was never mentioned.

I honestly want Yukiko in there. Also, why not Persona 3 characters too? I would love to dance as Akihiko and Mitsuru, Yukari and Minato (Makoto). Maybe change around their costumes like in the Project Diva games.

Somehow I can't see Yukiko busting a groove. If they had her it'd probably be traditional Kabuki fan dancing or something.

She's a normal girl too, you know! She doesn't always have to do Japanese dance.

Secondly, Kabuki is all-men... So yeah...
TronBonne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
I am so excited for this! It looks so silly/fun! I couldn't stop smiling when watching the trailer. I'm actually surprised by the negativity around the existence of this game. I see nothing wrong with it, and hope it ends up being fun to play. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3