• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers 5th Hetalia Series, Senran Kagura, Devil Is a Part-Timer on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for Devil is a Part-Timer! Very Happy
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
I just downloaded Senran Kagura on 3DS last night... Good stuff. Why don't Funimation team with Xseeds for a promotion of some kind. Also ill be buying all but Hetalia because no Bluray no buy.
Yeah, I was also thinking XSEED and Funimation could have collaborted with each other with this franchise, especially since XSEED put this title out pretty quick since it was announced.

Anyways not a bad game, if you liked Code of Princess then you'll probaley enjoy this game.
SK:B isn't anywhere nearly as interesting, compelling, unique or, basically, good as CoP. It's pandering and bland and just... just awful. One of the biggest wastes of 30 dollars in my life.

Glad some people enjoyed it, but dang, that game was just freaking terrible in almost all aspects to me.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Guess I might as well give up hopes of ever seeing "Rainbow" get a physical release, considering they streamed it way back in 2010. What a shame, considering that it's a such a beautiful and heart-wrenching show.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yes, Hataraku Maou-sama is getting a physical release! Who's releasing it? Oh wait, Funimation you say? ****.

Funimation has really dropped the ball the last few times I bothered to check out their releases. First Fullmetal Alchemist had locked subtitles, which was rather irritating cause (at the time) I had planned to learn Japanese. Oh well. Now I hear that Binbougami ga (Good Luck Girl) does the exact same thing AND has video problems. Great. To top it off they release the EDITED BROADCAST version of Sankarea. Wow. To be fair they are sending people who bought Sankarea replacement discs, but it's still just mind blowing that they would make such a mistake. If I bother to get Sankarea I'll wait until they release another updated version.

If you couldn't tell I don't have much faith in Funimation. I'm sure that somewhere in my collection I have some Funi releases but I've never had any problems other than those mentioned. It's...rather strange.

I know why they lock the subtitles but it's still irritating.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
I know Hetalia will get a dub, but after that business with OniAi, I'm not so sure whether Senran Kagura or Hataraku Maou-sama (I'm not quite used to seeing the English title for that one yet) will. I'm one of those "no dub, no purchase" people, so...

Senran Kagura has boob ninjas so yeah it's getting a dub.

And since the Devil Is A Part-Timer was a successful show in Japan and has quite a few fans already, chances are almost certain of it getting a dub.

Although I am sad that they still haven't licensed Symphogear. Sad (which I am perfectly willing to watch subbed).
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I will definitly buy Senran Kagura and Hataraku Maou-sama. Loved the both of them.

Apollo-kun wrote:
SK:B isn't anywhere nearly as interesting, compelling, unique or, basically, good as CoP. It's pandering and bland and just... just awful. One of the biggest wastes of 30 dollars in my life.

Glad some people enjoyed it, but dang, that game was just freaking terrible in almost all aspects to me.

You don't know what you are talking about, or you just focused too much on the fanservice aspect and neglicted the other good points of the game. SK is quite interesting in how it try to break your expectations for a "fanservice" game and how it try to blend sexy comedy and more serious, darker themes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Although I am sad that they still haven't licensed Symphogear. Sad

Actually, Funimation does have Symphogear...
Well, at least they have Season 1 of that show, that is.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Although I am sad that they still haven't licensed Symphogear. Sad

Actually, Funimation does have Symphogear...
Well, at least they have Season 1 of that show, that is.

I think AbZero is referring to home video rights, which Funimation hasn't announced yet. They also didn't acquire the following seasons, so it's likely they won't release season 1.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
^ From what I've heard over on FUNi's forums, Symphogear has licensing issues with music rights.

Plus it probably underperformed for them in the first place.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^ From what I've heard over on FUNi's forums, Symphogear has licensing issues with music rights.

Plus it probably underperformed for them in the first place.

To answer an above post, I did mean home video rights since I refuse to use Funimation's subpar streaming service and Funico was a disaster back and front.

But if Lance or whomever is reading this thread, Symphogear would be a must-buy for me(and the 2nd season is much better than the 1st). I imagine that it got quite a bit of fansub traffic.

Somehow I imagine the music rights issues are that Funi wants to dub the insert songs and Starchild or Satelight or whomever wants the songs to remain in the original Japanese.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Somehow I imagine the music rights issues are that Funi wants to dub the insert songs and Starchild or Satelight or whomever wants the songs to remain in the original Japanese.

Or wants extra money for 'em. Record companies want their cut, whether the original music or derivations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2