• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Space Dandy Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and was utterly unimpressed. Dandy seemed like the type of character who is stupidly and ridiculously over the top just for the simple purpose of being stupidly and ridiculously over the top (so that the producers of the show can wink at us and say, "look how stupidly and ridiculously over the top this guy is! Aren't we super edgy and cool and non-conformist?")

I don't know, it is difficult for me to get into a show when I feel the main character is kind of pitiful. Loving the main character, I can do. Hating the main character, I can also do. But this is something else... Even Carl's review seems to indicate that the rest of the series is basically just the production crew showing off how outside the box they are with no real attempt to create a cohesive story.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...look at it as a team of talented animators writing themselves a blank narrative check with each new episode.

Because that's what it is. You cannot watch Space Dandy as a serial narrative. It isn't a serial; it's an anthology—a collection of short-form films that just happen to have the same characters (and the same crew).

Hey, like an American cartoon.

I suppose you can see Watanabe moving in this direction for a while. Remember that episode of Samurai Champloo with the zombies where everyone, including the main cast, was killed by a meteor at the end?

Last edited by Fronzel on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I love the zombie episode, but my favorite is episode 5. Watanabe definitely knows how to pull on someone's heart strings.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I watched the first episode and was utterly unimpressed. Dandy seemed like the type of character who is stupidly and ridiculously over the top just for the simple purpose of being stupidly and ridiculously over the top (so that the producers of the show can wink at us and say, "look how stupidly and ridiculously over the top this guy is! Aren't we super edgy and cool and non-conformist?")

I don't know, it is difficult for me to get into a show when I feel the main character is kind of pitiful. Loving the main character, I can do. Hating the main character, I can also do. But this is something else... Even Carl's review seems to indicate that the rest of the series is basically just the production crew showing off how outside the box they are with no real attempt to create a cohesive story.

That is exactly what Space Dandy is. A silly show for the sake of being silly with a lot of great visuals. This show wasn't intended to have any real story and it doesn't need one. Don't think about it, just enjoy it.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]I've never seen Cowboy Bebop. I have no real standard to which I can hold Watanabe. Most of the praise I see heaped on Dandy is about how pretty it is, and how 'fun' its tone is, but not much for its content. Even this review, though benign, makes it clear how sparse the story quality is for most of Dandy's episodes.[/quote]

You are missing out. You can't truly appreciate Watanabe's genius until you have seen Cowboy Bebop.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Although I do feel that I have to mention that Dandy's Japanese voice actor has a good voice. Like, ridiculously awesome voice... Shocked

He is quite good. He was Greed in the first FMA TV series, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Although I do feel that I have to mention that Dandy's Japanese voice actor has a good voice. Like, ridiculously awesome voice... Shocked

He is quite good. He was Greed in the first FMA TV series, too.

I mostly remember this. Very Happy
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Space Dandy is an episodic comedy. It's not supposed to have a strong narrative. You might as well argue that Seinfeld is terrible because it lacks a story.

Aside from the "episodic comedy" link, Space Dandy has little in common with Seinfeld. Seinfeld was an amazing show because of the fantastic way in which the situational comedy was executed. Additionally, the main character, Jerry, was not a pitiful imbecile. He was a successful comedian who generally anchored every plot with his own competence, which was usually contrasted sharply (and hilariously) by the peculiar flaws of his friends. Additionally, each episode of Seinfeld was not a simple "lets see how ridiculous and outside the box we can be this time" exercise by the writers. That would be more like The Three Stooges (although even their slapstick comedy was much funnier than the deadpan humor I saw in Space Dandy). In contrast, Seinfeld was exceptionally intelligent in the way that it meticulously set up various brick jokes throughout the beginning of each episode and had them all work together in a display of harmonious comedic genius. Whatever silly fun we might get out of Space Dandy, comparing Space Dandy to Seinfeld is like comparing a kid playing a recorder to a concert flutist.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if those people who think Seinfeld "lacks story" or was a show about "nothing" actually ever watched it? Yes, they would do the occasional episode about waiting in line at a Chinese restaurant or wandering a park lot looking for a car, but far more often there would be three separate story lines per episode that would eventually wind together in a clever way. What other sitcom would have dared kill of a character because she licked defective stamps? Seinfeld had A TON of story.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I don't think it'll be real sad and heartbreaking (although Dandy does have a few closet skeletons by his own admission,) but before show's end, those bazillion Dandy-verses are probably going to converge in some way. That should be fun to see! Very Happy

I so want to see that. Cool

As for me, I'm getting exactly what I want out of this. The first episode made it very clear where we would go from there, and so far the show has completely delivered. It can be utterly hilarious, but there is enough heart to it for me to invest in the characters just a little bit. Suwabe's voice by itself is pleasant enough, but you can feel the all the actors having a blast with their parts.

I very much agree with the review regarding the show's strengths. The "wouldn't it be cool if..." feel is definitely what I enjoy the most here.

Last edited by Knoepfchen on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You cannot watch Space Dandy as a serial narrative. It isn't a serial; it's an anthology—a collection of short-form films that just happen to have the same characters (and the same crew).
One of the appeals of anime to me is that it offers some sort of overarching story line (even if the story is mediocre, as so many are). I like a few of the more "episodic" anime series, normally comedic ones, but only if I find them to be funny. Regretfully, I am not finding Space Dandy to be funny and its humor is the basket into which it put all its eggs.

Space Dandy presents the same problems that I had with Bebop: it was random, episodic and lacking in continuity. It even, not to Dandy's degree (killing off the main cast in a non-flashback first episode), had "anti-continuity". When Bebop did decide that it wanted to have a "plot" it slapped together just about the most trite, unimaginative plot that one could create.

Samurai Champloo struck a balance between realism and absurdity, between comedy and seriousness and between "episodic" and "overarching". If only Watanabe could repeat that feat; Space Dandy is like a never-ending version of the baseball episode of Samurai Champloo Sad
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
This show has the best and most appealing color design I've seen in an anime in decades. I like the show a lot, but even if it stunk I'd still enjoy just staring at it.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
You cannot watch Space Dandy as a serial narrative. It isn't a serial; it's an anthology—a collection of short-form films that just happen to have the same characters (and the same crew).
One of the appeals of anime to me is that it offers some sort of overarching story line (even if the story is mediocre, as so many are). I like a few of the more "episodic" anime series, normally comedic ones, but only if I find them to be funny. Regretfully, I am not finding Space Dandy to be funny and its humor is the basket into which it put all its eggs.

Space Dandy presents the same problems that I had with Bebop: it was random, episodic and lacking in continuity. It even, not to Dandy's degree (killing off the main cast in a non-flashback first episode), had "anti-continuity". When Bebop did decide that it wanted to have a "plot" it slapped together just about the most trite, unimaginative plot that one could create.

Samurai Champloo struck a balance between realism and absurdity, between comedy and seriousness and between "episodic" and "overarching". If only Watanabe could repeat that feat; Space Dandy is like a never-ending version of the baseball episode of Samurai Champloo Sad

It's not really the point though, it's supposed to be fun, silly and episodic. Not serial and serious.

I think it's unfair to judge this as something it's not. It's not trying to be Bebop or Champloo, so why judge it like it is?

I also find it funny that you call the narrative of Cowboy Bebop "slapped together" when that show has some of the best deliberate pacing and character development of any anime ever. It also has probably one of the best told narratives to ever grace the medium.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The racing episode was just awesome. I've really enjoyed watching this show. Even my little brother, who usually turns his nose to anime enjoys it. It strikes a nice balance with [adult swim] and Toonami, and fits BOTH really well.
Durga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This is easily the most fun anime on right now. The last two episodes in particular (the space surfing and space race) thrilled me the most and are my two favorite episodes of Dandy so far.

I'd say Space Dandy is more "fun" than "funny", but that's not a diss at all. The sense that anything can happen in this show is part of its charm, and backed by the crazy color design and animation it's a real blast. So what if it's rarely serious? If anything the show loses energy when it tries to be serious (see episode 5, which was basically just Boogie Woogie Feng Shui redux). The show doesn't need a traditional story arc. It sets out to be something fun and different every week and for the most part succeeds at doing just that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7