• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brynhildr in the Darkness (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ep11

Galap wrote:
spoiler[ I didn't think she was intending to steal the medicine, merely combine with it in hopes that there was a very large amount, like as if they'd already figured out how to reproduce it. She also probably wanted to help the others and warn them about Valkyria as well.]

She had no way of knowing whether they had a means spoiler[of reproducing the medicine or even if they were considering it. All the witches up to that point where just trying to hold out as long as possible with what little meds they had.] Also notice Hatsune's personality. At no point does spoiler[she volunteer to share her medicine with the others. She even leaves the room to count how many pills she has. She has enough if she shared it to give everyone at least 3-4 more days of life]. Kazumi was a bit of a mercenary in the beginning even Ryouta comments on this, but spoiler[Hatsune is more calculating. She kisses Ryouta because she wants to, but also to see the reaction of the other girls. She's then like "ah, so this is how everything is." Plus, she never warns them about Valkyria]. As I said before I suspect there was much cut from the manga and they are trying to squish a lot into the final episodes with the result that some of the story is suffering for it.

Ep 12

DuskyPredator wrote:
I guess we will get comments that Hatsune's spoiler[decision to sacrifice herself made no sense].

I guess this is you being sarcastic again Dusky? I don't understand what the issue is here. If someone has a different take on an episode than yours you get sarcastic? I disagreed with how they got Hatsune to the observatory last episode. I think it was weakly done and I stated I thought it was due to time constraints. We could just agree to disagree and not make snarky remarks. Oh, and actually it makes perfect sense that Hatsune spoiler[should sacrifice herself...for Ryouta. She even says that she needs him to get more pills and this is because she finds out that they may have a means of making more pills. Plus she owes him for her little "test" that almost got him killed and most of the witches have tried to keep normal people from getting involved and killed]. So yea, it makes perfect sense. Notice however that she spoiler[isn't doing it for the other girls? Its because she hasn't been integrated into the group yet. She's mainly doing it for Ryouta and that should say something again about her personality. Will they have a chance for her to become better chums with everyone else in the group?] I don't know with one episode left there probably isn't much time for it.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm finding the "dude should have had sex with her" attitude bordering on offensive in here. Why? Because it's the exact same thing as "oh, she friendzoned him" or "oh, she's hot but won't have sex with him, what a bitch" that happens in the real world.

Some people don't want to have sex. Is it really such a hard concept? He has never been shown to be interested at all in having sex with any of them, and is only even attracted to Neko.

You have a point.

Maybe we're all just waiting to finally have a guy (or girl) who is comfortable enough to go for it without being another Makoto or some annoying grinning hentai fuckwit. I'll admit that this is less Brynhildr's problem and more a problem with anime in general. Adolescent male leads too often fall into one of two extremes: too much of a stuttering, blushing, nervous wreck to have it, or conniving, emotionally dense, and promiscuous to the point of outright detestable.

To School Days' credit, though,spoiler[ Sekai did stab him to death]. Series is still shit, but at least that ending was awesome. Also, nice boat.

[EDIT: Spoiler tag added. Do NOT assume that stuff like this is common knowledge. - Key]
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Ep 12 had a real "Well time to wrap this up as best we can." feel. I'll likely go on to read the manga of this later just to follow the continuing story.
Cenobite451

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Adolescent male leads too often fall into one of two extremes: too much of a stuttering, blushing, nervous wreck to have it, or conniving, emotionally dense, and promiscuous to the point of outright detestable.

I sort of agreed with your position on this... until I read it stated in such a frank way, at which point I thought, "Wait. How many adolescent males have I met who don't fall under one of those two banners?"

I mean, it's not as though they can't have other traits as well, but fundamentally these particular stereotypes do hold up pretty well... Rolling Eyes
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
...It's...really not impossible for a male to have sex with a female (or vice versa) at around that age and still be a decent, likeable character in general. I guess I just don't understand why it always seems to be one extreme or the other.
junmaedaisjesus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
It is perfectly impossible to have a likeable male character if he chooses to sleep with someone other than the girl he is attracted to.

On another note, this anime's taking a serious nosedive.

That moment when spoiler[Ryouta takes the shot for Kuroha, there were about 3 times where I thought he was dead, but then he would speak and I would be disappointed three times]

And the whole harem schtick is so overdone with spoiler[ the girls talking about how there's no point in living if Ryouta is dead (totally contrary to their earlier decisions to die together as a group without accounting for Ryouta surviving alone)]

This anime had an interesting premise, but these last few episodes are leaving a bad taste in my mouth and are almost all accompanied with eye-rolling.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 13/Finale:

Wow, that felt incredibly spoiler[rushed. Not only that but the fight felt cheesy. Oh well...at least Kazumi survived (without an explanation although it's easy to figure out with a little hint).]

The ending was weak imo and relatively, I have to rate this not very good for poor adaptation.

There's still an OVA also.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Wow, that felt incredibly spoiler[rushed. Not only that but the fight felt cheesy. Oh well...at least Kazumi survived (without an explanation although it's easy to figure out with a little hint).]

Yeah, it was pretty obvious we have spoiler[Hatsuna to thank for Kazumi's survival. A shame Kotori is the only one who didn't make it.]

A bit rushed and reliant on conveniences, sure, but it's better than Elfen Lied's ending at least.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
What is wrong with this season? All these retarded rushed endings really don't seem to want to stop.

Lots of plotholes and conveniences in this episode that made me laugh instead of cry given how tragic everything was supposed to be.

spoiler[Hatsuna shouldn't have been able to regenerate when she specifically said that her melting would be enough to kill her. Yet she somehow comes back and is able to save Kazumi. Of course they do all of this off screen. Chisato suddenly saving Valkyrie for no reason was also BS. Plus I'm pretty dang sure that the bullets from those assault rifles would have gone through his body into Valkyrie regardless.]

Aspoiler[nd even though Neko had a 99 percent chance of dying when she awakened she was still able to survive after disposing of Valkyrie. How was she even able to escape the black hole she created?] That's not how science wor...............bah whatever. I'm sounding like a broken record at this point but here lies another rushed and unsatisfying ending this season.

RIP spring anime endings 2014
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The end is finally here.
So spoiler[Kotori] did the right thing, a noble sacrifice.
spoiler[Chisato] sure was a ruthless guy or so we thought.
Even spoiler[Valkyra] cared about something/someone.
Her loyalties were just mixed up.
spoiler[Murakami played the hero again, but Kuroneko ended up as the savior.]
Nice ending, but bitter-sweet for Murakami.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I had to go back to watch episode 11 and 12.... and what happens with spoiler[ Hatsuna isn't exactly a plothole, more like a loophole. In Ep 11 she says " I can regenerate from anything but it doesn't protect her from running out of pills or being ejected though." In Ep 12 Chisato says to Valkyrie "The only way she can die is from Harness Ejection." And that is the loophole.... she may have been melting from healing the main character but she wasn't ejected only hung-up, still I think its lame.]

I was really enjoying this series but the ending kind of killed it. It almost felt like Mass Effect 3 and "space magic" spoiler[ I could have lived with Chisato randomly saving Valkyrie but adding in the random saving of Neko, Hatsuna, and Kazumi it is a bit too much.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The manga is a bit clearer on what's going on, but the way they shaped the series, they had to leave out one of the funniest jokes of the series. spoiler[Hatsuna actually had no idea if she could save a person, or what would happen if she melted. She had tested it on a dog or cat or something earlier, and stopped when she started to melt, so Prince Charming was actually her first serious attempt. Later, she and Kazumi get "killed" at the same place and time by Valkyrie, which is why it makes a lot more sense that she's there to revive Kazumi. Kazumi then lugs her melted body around in a sack.]

As for Evil McEvilson, spoiler[he actually talks directly to his revived sister, who tells him that she didn't want any of this, or for anyone to get hurt, leading him to give up, and then he protects Valkryrie as a result.] It made a little more sense.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
It's not like spoiler[Hatsuna would really know if that much would kill her or not. She just assumed it could. We see her start to regenerate at the end of the last episode, so it's not like it came out of nowhere.]

As for spoiler[Neko surviving, I wouldn't be surprised if Mako did something to spare her sister at the last minute.]
dlm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I read the manga for this one (a first for me, I usually don't like manga) but stopped when I realized that I'd read ahead of the anime. So Episode 13 really wasn't a shock, although when I saw Valkyria's flashback scene, I couldn't remember if it was from the manga or a previous episode of the anime.

That said, I was somewhat unprepared for the pre-credits ending. I laughed, though, because in the past week, I'd spoiler[binge-watched One Week Friends] and had a strong flashback to it. Laughing Unintentionally funny things are the best.

But the during/post-credits ending. I'm not sure how to interpret it. spoiler[Is it just Ryota reminiscing? Or did Kazumi not officially die and Kana lose her ability to move again?]

edit: Okay, reading the comments, it makes sense now. Nevermind Smile The only remaining question is, is Kana spoiler[being wheeled around because she needs a lot of physical therapy to be mobile (I assume that she was carried to the facility instead of sprinting) or does she have to maintain a facade of being paralyzed?]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
dlm wrote:
Okay, reading the comments, it makes sense now. Nevermind Smile The only remaining question is, is Kana spoiler[being wheeled around because she needs a lot of physical therapy to be mobile (I assume that she was carried to the facility instead of sprinting) or does she have to maintain a facade of being paralyzed?]

spoiler[Notice Kana had crutches with her too, so yeah, she's going through rehab. It's just now she can't recieve her visions and prevent people from dying.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21