• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku to Open For Lady Gaga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skchai1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
As engaging as it is, any speculation on how Miku will perform during the Lady Gaga concerts will depend on details of the contractual agreement between Gaga's representatives, CFM, and other relevant rights holders; as well as the relative degree of control each side attempts to hold over Miku's performance. Vocaloids present new types of rights issues that have been papered over to a certain extent in Japanese concerts, where there is a canon of audio tracks that her audience will demand to hear and established expectations over how Miku will be depicted visually. A Western audience will typically have no such expectations, and hence there is greater possibility for "original interpretation" (voicebank? character design?), new reportoire, and resulting wrangling/recrimination. I hope this does not happen, but it is unlikely that whatever performance results will leave all sides satisfied. Most Western reports I've seen don't mention (or deny) that there is an actual human behind Miku's voice, so I doubt anyone is asking Fujita Saki her opinion about any of this!
alalcoolj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
skchai1 wrote:
As engaging as it is, any speculation on how Miku will perform during the Lady Gaga concerts will depend on details of the contractual agreement between Gaga's representatives, CFM, and other relevant rights holders; as well as the relative degree of control each side attempts to hold over Miku's performance. Vocaloids present new types of rights issues that have been papered over to a certain extent in Japanese concerts, where there is a canon of audio tracks that her audience will demand to hear and established expectations over how Miku will be depicted visually. A Western audience will typically have no such expectations, and hence there is greater possibility for "original interpretation" (voicebank? character design?), new reportoire, and resulting wrangling/recrimination. I hope this does not happen, but it is unlikely that whatever performance results will leave all sides satisfied. Most Western reports I've seen don't mention (or deny) that there is an actual human behind Miku's voice, so I doubt anyone is asking Fujita Saki her opinion about any of this!

As a member of that Western audience I for one most certainly do have expectations of how Miku will be presented. Smile

I appreciate that Miku is open to interpretation by design, but I can't imagine they are going to go too far off the rails here. Re-imagining Miku, producing new songs, new animations, etc, would involve a certain amount of expense that might be hard for Gaga's people to justify for an opening act for one month.

I expect we'll get existing songs and animations from Magical Mirai and/or the ones being added for MikuExpo. There might be one or two songs done just for Gaga but I'd be shocked if there were more.

Also I'm not sure what Fujita Saki has to do with anything. Miku's voice is Miku's voice, not Fujita Saki's. They don't even sound alike. There are many humans behind Miku's voice, not just the person who provided the phoneme samples.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
I think it would be really cool if Miku appeared in a hair bow!

Gaga, your Venus hair is a mess this era, I want the hair bow back! <3
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, just saw the rescheduled Vancouver concert and I was greatly disappointed. I'm not normally interested in Lady Gaga, but love Vocaloid so that was the sole reason I bought a ticket in the first place.
But when I went to her concert yesterday, Hatsune Miku was not included in the opening act or concert at all despite being advertised so. It wasn't like they didn't have time for it as there was an 75 minute intermission between the first opening act performer and when Lady Gaga actually started her show. I am incredibly upset I wasted money and over 3 hours of my time when the least they could've done was give some prior notice if Hatsune Miku wasn't even gonna show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5