• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Pick the Anime Characters They'd Most Want As Dads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
Why would anyone want Goku as their dad? Unless they want to be abandoned and ignored it doesn't make that much sense. Piccolo should be on here instead.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
No Shou Tucker?

ARE YOU FREAKING NUTS? Or are you just trolling like a lot of people in these polls. Tucker is definitely no father. Hell he ranks right alongs with Geno Ikari, Dr Yager , Charles Z Britannia & Medusa as the WORSE PARENTS IN HISTORY!!! Though Gendo and medusa are definitely the worst and rightfully so.

They were definitely trolling...lol.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
I definitely thought of Sakura's dad in CCS and Shiro from AoEx; this poll's results absolutely baffle me. Sebastian Michaelis? Goku? What the hell Japan
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
IZFSLE wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Wasn't "bad dad Tomoya" just kind of deus ex machina'd away (along with some of my enjoyment of the series)? Laughing

I guess if you were fiddling on your phone the entire time instead of paying attention you could see it that way. To each his own I guess.

I'll guess and say that, even with your comment on my attention span, you won't explain it to me. Laughing

I've only seen the anime, so don't know if the game explains things earlier/better.

I honestly felt like the supernatural element just...came along to grant his wish. Was there something prior that I overlooked that explains about wish granting?

From what I remember, the supernatural events in the anime deal with Fuko, the cat, and his wish to turn back time...? The guy goes through years of crap, but all of a sudden his wish (which I'm sure would've been something he was wishing the entire time) all of a sudden gets granted.

Happy with the ending it led to, but it did have a deus ex machina feel to it. The supernatural seemed to play such a small role in the 40 something episodes prior to the end, that for it to lead to THE ending made me feel like I was just king hit.

*Sigh* Probably going too off topic...

Akio is a great dad.

I'm not going to explain the ending because it's lengthy and one of the biggest spoilers in anime. But, yes, I know the technicalities of the ending. Just google it or go to yahoo answers.

The show was a supernatural show since episode 1. People seem to only pay attention to the obviously supernatural ending. Clannad is not modeled off real life.

I don't really want to go off-topic either or try to persuade someone to like something, but that's all I'll say. Now back to why 50 percent of the dads on the female list are just dream hubbies for female otakus.

Last edited by IZFSLE on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I definitely thought of Sakura's dad in CCS and Shiro from AoEx; this poll's results absolutely baffle me. Sebastian Michaelis? Goku? What the hell Japan

The problem was that he didn't get that much of an appearance to warrant being on the list unlike the others. Though he probably would have made the list if he was actually clow reef in disguise. unfortunately if it did actually happened , that would have made the love between sakura and Shaoran impossible cause it would make them blood related.

and there was no way anyone was gonna vote for shiro no matter what. sure he's definitely not like evil parent of the year types, but the problem he's not that memorable unlike those in the top three.

However my real beef is what the hell happened to SM's Mamoru (Tuxedo Kamen)? he should have at least made the list let alone get a mention considering how good he was to chibi usa. Sure he's not a dad type like goku or minato let alone act like one at times especially when she and usagi act more like spoiled siblings then a mom and daughter and all he can do is sigh , but there are times he does have his moments.

definitely an uber sunb from this list right along with charles & Huges is you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
I'd pick Minato myself if I could choose, a well deserved winner if you ask me. Smile
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
When I see the title of the article, Akio is the only one in my mind.
Honestly, how can you not love him? He's totally fun, he'll be with you when shit happens, and he doesn't even want to be called granddad by his own granddaughter (instead he asked her to call him Akki). Only one thing I don't like from him, which is his heavy smoking habit.

Also, we can assume that there will be poll about most favorite anime mom, right? Gotta say that Key-universe has a lot of awesome moms.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
The pollers really only went for popular dads. Otherwise, decent, but not as important plotwise dads like Shikamaru's dad Shikaku would've made the list.

Watch there be an older brothers poll and Itachi Uchiha making the top 3! Laughing
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The pollers really only went for popular dads. Otherwise, decent, but not as important plotwise dads like Shikamaru's dad Shikaku would've made the list.

Watch there be an older brothers poll and Itachi Uchiha making the top 3! Laughing

I'm sure they'll be a mother's list too. Let's go ahead and put Asuna up there and Shu's mother from Guilty Crown.
Izu0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
I want Seby to be my dad :3
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:
How is Daikichi, the guy from Usagi Drop not on this list.

'Cause he'd bone his 'daughter'?

Anime characters. Anime Daikichi hasn't made it to the timeskip. He's just an awesome dad at this point.

But he's not on the list because every poll like this is really "what's your favorite anime?". If 20 million people watch Naruto and half-a-million watch UDrop, Naruto wins every poll no matter what the question is.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:
How is Daikichi, the guy from Usagi Drop not on this list.

'Cause he'd bone his 'daughter'?

Anime characters. Anime Daikichi hasn't made it to the timeskip. He's just an awesome dad at this point.

But he's not on the list because every poll like this is really "what's your favorite anime?". If 20 million people watch Naruto and half-a-million watch UDrop, Naruto wins every poll no matter what the question is.

AND THAT IS WHY, YOU, LOSE
-Megatron-
but seriously misleading poll is misleading
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
I'm not going to explain the ending because it's lengthy and one of the biggest spoilers in anime. But, yes, I know the technicalities of the ending. Just google it or go to yahoo answers.

I did that back when I watched it, still felt like there was a bit of a disconnect. I've never really discussed anime before, as I'm pretty alone when it comes to the hobby, so I usually go out and read what others say.

IZFSLE wrote:
The show was a supernatural show since episode 1. People seem to only pay attention to the obviously supernatural ending. Clannad is not modeled off real life.

For me, like Kanon 06, the supernatural element was there through it but Clannad's use of it at the end seemed more convenient...rather than a build up to it.

Seeing what some have said about the game, I can see the build up there but not in the anime, due to the need of a 2nd play through. I don't see that in the anime. It's why I feel a disconnect.

IZFSLE wrote:
I don't really want to go off-topic either or try to persuade someone to like something, but that's all I'll say.

As I said before, I've never really chatted about any anime before. Usually have friends who'll lend an ear...but no one I know watches anime. I guess that is why I got into this discussion a bit here. Laughing

Just to finish it off, I do like the show overall. Some of my enjoyment was taken away with the ending, but I still have it as one of my favourite anime series.

IZFSLE wrote:
Now back to why 50 percent of the dads on the female list are just dream hubbies for female otakus.

Laughing Yes, back on track.

I still think Hachiken (Silver Spoon) will turn out to be a character that'd make a great dad!
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Running Wild wrote:
I'd want Kenshiro as a dad.

^ THIS.

I know I arrived late here, but A WINNER IS YOU. OMAE WA MOU WINNER.

Seriously, he should have been on the list. Wish I could have learned manliness and ass-busting pressure point strikes with my dad the Hokuto Shinken successor.

And HELL NO to Goku. Being Goku's kid is, as anyone can see, horrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6