• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Streams Sailor Moon New English Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Detrimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
Not buying the DVDs due to this horrible dub.

Yeah, because that makes total sense. Nothing wrong with that that logic. Laughing

to be fair, they probably wouldn't have bought it anyway
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Now, if only they could match this with an actual HD transfer and not a blurry upscale.

That is, unless Viz can get Toei to do that. And seeing aw how Toei treats blurays of stuff like Galaxy Express, this upscale is about all we can hope for, sadly.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
Now, if only they could match this with an actual HD transfer and not a blurry upscale.

That is, unless Viz can get Toei to do that. And seeing as how Toei treats blurays of stuff like Galaxy Express, this upscale is about all we can hope for, sadly.

Yup, their releases of Saint Seiya & Slam Dunk don't look any better and as mentioned before, the latter was from the same time period as Sailor Moon so if even Toei's 90s stuff are getting Q-Tec upscales then their eventual BD boxes of Sailor Moon would really not look any different than what Viz is putting out now.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Sounds a tad strained, but that could just be Usagi's VA not quite settled into the character yet. The comedy bit sounds spot-on, though. I was really worried they'd choose an older-sounding voice, but this sounds pretty good for a 14-year-old. Very Happy

Jury's still out on Mamoru, though. ^^;

I'd say the jury is very bad from that clip. sure its not enough to convinced its a miscast, but its definitely not good.

Also i admit that usagi's VA fits well enough into the role and sound convincing that usagi is 14. Unfortunately it definitely sound strained and might be too much for her vocal chords to do this for 200 eps plus the Crystal series. personally i think miss seph would have been better as either hotaru for the S series or as Naru.

Unfortunately I am too afraid that we might have another Excel Saga happening again if this is how the voicing director will have her voice usagi.

traveling wrote:
Sounds good to me. Much better than the grating voices in the original dub.

i wouldnt necessary that that. remember the dubbing was not as good back when DIC was around. also anime in the US was still an experiment. so yea, it is superior from the dic version , but i wouldnt go judge , jury and executioner as yet. besides the animes that dic did are a hell of a lot better than the crappy ass versions that 4kids and nelvana did.

Last edited by jr240483 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I have no real nostalgia for the older dub, so I think this sounded fine. I've only heard random bits of the older dub and I thought Usagi's old voice was annoying as all hell, so I thought this was good.

But I do understand nostalgia for the old dub all the same, this doesn't sound like the old dub for sure. I probably wouldn't easily latch on to a new dub when I was used to an old one either. Actually, I remember hearing a bit of ADV's Macross dub and going "wow, I hate it" because I was so used to the Robotech voices (I did enjoy the show subbed though)
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
Sounds a tad strained, but that could just be Usagi's VA not quite settled into the character yet. The comedy bit sounds spot-on, though. I was really worried they'd choose an older-sounding voice, but this sounds pretty good for a 14-year-old. Very Happy

Jury's still out on Mamoru, though. ^^;

I'd say the jury is very bad from that clip. sure its not enough to convinced its a miscast, but its definitely not good.

Also i admit that usagi's VA fits well enough into the role and sound convincing that usagi is 14. Unfortunately it definitely sound strained and might be too much for her vocal chords to do this for 200 eps plus the Crystal series.

I am too afraid that we might have another Excel Saga happening again.

You do know Sheh's not straining there right? It's not all that off from her usually stuff like Orihime from Bleach. And that's like 300 episodes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
and its as i said. it might be from what i heard.

its not the only series she is committed too. there are other series as well and when it was announced, there are those in the forums here that are worried that all of these commitments for all of these series are way too much,even for a veteran like her.

we dont know how many commitments a VA does in a year let alone in a day, but there are times it might be too much.

and from this clip alone, i'd say some of those users in the forums which i have a feeling their die hard fans of miss seph definitely have a reason to be concerned of the vocal chord might get strained. sure i hope it dont happen, but fate can be a real bitch at times.hopefully it wont bite this VA where it hurts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
merr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
and from this clip alone, i'd say some of those users in the forums which i have a feeling their die hard fans of miss seph definitely have a reason to be concerned of the vocal chord might get strained. sure i hope it don't happen, but fate can be a real bitch at times.hopefully it wont bite this VA where it hurts.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Sheh isn't straining her voice with this role. She's not pitching it up at all. It's basically her speaking voice with a younger intonation. She isn't screaming or screeching, either. This is nothing like Excel Saga, which was only a problem because ADV insisted on too tight a schedule for a role that consisted of nothing but screaming.

And, really, you think she's over booked? Based on what? She's an actress. This is her job.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
getchman wrote:

awww, no more meatball head

That was one of the few things I liked about the old dub. Sad

It sounds more insulting.

DENelson83 wrote:
RedemptionRevenge wrote:

You don't seem to understand. Viz streams all of their releases on Neon Alley, which is now a part of Hulu. They are contractually obligated to do that. Hulu can not stream in Canada because it would cost them a whooooooole lot more money to do so. So, until Viz can work something out, Canada is left out of the lurch. Hey man, I am from Canada, I understand your pain. But this is how the entertainment industry works.

Then they are being willfully duplicitous and deceptive. By displaying a statement that they will launch in Canada "soon", they are in violation of our Criminal Code, specifically section 380(1) covering fraud.

They're limited by Hulu's capability. If ya can exactly define "soon," ya go ahead and take them to court.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
I guess I am okay with Stephanie Sheh but that Robbie Daymond guy just does not cut it as Mamoru. He is a new comer isn't he? I know they probably wanted some fresh blood by why give such an important role to someone with such little experience?

Newcomer? These 24 acting credits say differently.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
From that less than one minute clip, I'm ok with Sheh going quiet and low but I hate it when she goes loud and screeching.

"Wa-aa-aa-ah-Ah"... no.

"Stupid jerk and his purple, pleated pants" Good and nice alliteration.

Still, I'm expecting more scenes of Usagi whining and screaming than waxing poetic.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Liked what I heard, just need to get used to it overall though.
DENelson83

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Viz is a useless bag of ass that shafts Canadian anime fans with their Hulu exclusive streams.

And I want something done about this! I want Viz held accountable for treating us Canadians like worthless bags of shit! I'm not going to take this bullshit from them anymore. I want solidarity. Boycott Hulu, boycott Viz!
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Says the dubs should be up on Viz's site next Monday, but we'll have to wait a few weeks to hear any other voices besides Luna, Mom's and Umino's.

Really? Where did it say that?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Seemed adequate, but honestly I was going to buy the blu-rays regardless of the dub quality. We are finally getting a good quality video release including the previously unreleased Stars. What else matters?

Last edited by shamisen the great on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7