• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Red Garden.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little behind on this anime, being only on ep 4, but it's kinda sucked me in. I actually really like the character designs. Frankly, I'm getting pretty sick of the lack of originality I've been seeing with most shows. Often, I can't even tell the characters apart other than the different color hair. And I absolutely hate the "moe" looking eyes that take up half the girl's faces. It's a wonder they're not always picking bugs out of those suckers. I've probably missed out on some decent shows because I avoid those types like the plague.

One thing that I'll have to get past is the obviously Japanese tone in a supposedly NY setting. Granted, it's a japanese show so it's going to have Japanese influences, but students in the US just don't act that way so I find it a little jarring. We don't have school "idols" in the same way. We have "popular" kids, but they don't make the rules or roam the halls enforcing the correct behavior. Those would be considered geeky hall monitors and would end up shoved in lockers. We also don't bow to our upper-classmen. That would get us laughed right out of school.

It is interesting to see how Americans look to the Japanese. THAT, I do find fascinating about this show. WOW. Do our noses really look that big to them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2