• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koi Kaze -- how many people accept it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Koshiro has an unhealthy addiction to young girl, it just so happen the girl he flirt with at first happen to be his sister.
Okay, where do you get that Koshirou has an "addiction to young girls"? Before the series began, he was dating a woman somewhere around his own age, and I don't remember him saying anything out of the Kimura-sensei playbook about "I love high school girls." On the other hand, I think he was more attracted to what Nanoka represented at first (youth, innocence, purity, as opposed to his cold and jaded personality). Then, because of the absent Westermark effect as dormcat pointed out above, he started feeling attraction to her and proceeded to the -other- stuff. Regarding the age difference, I think the article I'm linking to here is quite relevant:
A feature article at AoD wrote:
And Reiko told me at one point that the only thing that bothers people in Japan about this show is the incest. The age--not at all. She says that every man in Japan wants to have a teenaged girlfriend. I thought she meant in a laughable/pathetic laughable. Like, "Ha ha--Look at that doofus. He's going for a girl in high school." But apparently, it's not seen in that kind of light. And I'm like, "Well, just some people, right? Or social misfits?" and she's like, "No. Everybody." She swears (and maybe this is just her because she's just one person) that the age thing is not an issue. For me it was a big issue.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Koshiro has an unhealthy addiction to young girl, it just so happen the girl he flirt with at first happen to be his sister.
Okay, where do you get that Koshirou has an "addiction to young girls"? Before the series began, he was dating a woman somewhere around his own age, and I don't remember him saying anything out of the Kimura-sensei playbook about "I love high school girls." On the other hand, I think he was more attracted to what Nanoka represented at first (youth, innocence, purity, as opposed to his cold and jaded personality). Then, because of the absent Westermark effect as dormcat pointed out above, he started feeling attraction to her and proceeded to the -other- stuff. Regarding the age difference, I think the article I'm linking to here is quite relevant:
A feature article at AoD wrote:
And Reiko told me at one point that the only thing that bothers people in Japan about this show is the incest. The age--not at all. She says that every man in Japan wants to have a teenaged girlfriend. I thought she meant in a laughable/pathetic laughable. Like, "Ha ha--Look at that doofus. He's going for a girl in high school." But apparently, it's not seen in that kind of light. And I'm like, "Well, just some people, right? Or social misfits?" and she's like, "No. Everybody." She swears (and maybe this is just her because she's just one person) that the age thing is not an issue. For me it was a big issue.

I'm not sure why you think it was okay for him to flirt with a middle school girls in the first place. Yeah her innocent, youth, purity these are all associated with young girls. 'm sure Koshiro can get another women that would match his personality if he actually spend the time to look for them instead of obsessing over his 15 year old sister. Yet he show in interest in other women after he met nanoka. Even his female friend frown upon the idea when he ask his sister to go out on a date and later she is sicken by the idea of him obssesing over her. I think he has more of a young girl complex than a sister complex, because even if Nanoka wasn't his sister, he would still be interested in her. He know she's just a kid but he can't help himself. Actually he was hoping Nanoka wouldn't be his sister. And you wonder why he been so cold to his gf in the first place to make her leave.

Look here, if you were some old ass man asking a certain young middle school girl out and then fantasizing about her, I would think you have a young girl complex. Even if you're drawn to her because of her youth, innocent, young face etc, I think most decent human being can control themself.
Darknight55

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
I finished koi kaze a little while ago and I tend to agree that Koshiro and Nanoka's relationship is genuine and not a predatory thing. I thought the show handled the relationship very well and was superbly written. I’m a little surprised to say, the incest and age difference didn't really bother me, although I thought they would. Even though there is a strong sexual relationship between them, they do have an emotional connection as well. It’s interesting how given that the series remains the same for everyone who watched it, that there were so many interpretations. I think that is the mark of a good show, that it causes discussion.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I'm not sure why you think it was okay for him to flirt with a middle school girls in the first place. Yeah her innocent, youth, purity these are all associated with young girls. 'm sure Koshiro can get another women that would match his personality if he actually spend the time to look for them instead of obsessing over his 15 year old sister.

To darkhunter: Zalis and Reiko are right, and I agree with them as well, because the most famous Japanese novel masterpiece and its various adaptations had taught Japanese citizens (men in particular) an important concept:

"If you can't find an ideal female soulmate, raise one."

Get over it, or stop watching Japanese animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Nanoka is drawn to be much younger her actual age. She's essentiall a little kid in the anime. 4'5, 70 LB, flat chested, innocent and naive. Koshia though is like a full grown adult, he seem like he's 6Feet, 200LB, with a beard. I don't know about you, but it's pretty damn creepy.

My first thoughts as to the character designs was to wonder if Yasoumi Umetsu was involved.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
The age situation is indeed cultural. In Japan it is not uncommon for an older man to go out with a much younger woman. In Japan the male in a relationship is supposed to take care of finances and be the responsible one in the relationship, while the wife is expected to stay home knitting and cooking. When an older male enters in a relationship with a younger naive girl he enters with a advantage over the woman. I personally don't find the appeal of having a dependent who is always needing things from me.

If the situation would occur in real life to someone I know, I would without a doubt say this is a really bad idea. What happened at the end of episode 12 really bothered me, more due to the age difference than the sibling thing. If a one of my friends (my roommates are all younger guys in their mid 20s) said that they wanted to sleep with a 15 year old, you bet I'd do everything in my power to convince them it's a bad idea. I feel it is important to be on equal grounds with the one you love. Once again this is just my opinion which is very culturally biased, since I've been raised with the concept of gender equality heavily ingrained. There was a thread recently where a poster here listed the average amount of domestic work typical American and Japanese males and females do. There really is a big cultural difference.

It's easy to say that you are okay with the concept on paper, and approve of the relationship in KK. Ask yourself if the situation were to happen in real life how would you respond. I most certainly would not have done what Koshiro did. spoiler[I found Chidori's compassion really moving. Her initial reaction when Koshiro told her what was going on was not surprising. When she went to the apartment and told Nanoka that she was his girlfriend, and admitted to Koshirou that he wasn't completely at fault, I was moved. She gave him a perfect way out, and was so understanding in a situation where most people would have not even given him a chance.] I still enjoyed the series and think it is well produced. The end just frustrated me.
viennagirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:48 am Reply with quote
its just plain wrong. spoiler[ if they were step brother and sister it wouldnt be so gross, but they are blood related people. you dont sleep with your sibiling] the age diffrence doesnt bother me much....a little since she is so young and he knows better but otherwise it was ok...I've seen better though
WesW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:51 am Reply with quote
This has been one of the most enlightening threads I have read in a long time. Thanks for the Genji link, Dormcat, and the theory of raising a wife as opposed to finding one. I think that theories like this were/are quite common all over the world, at least before women's lib.
Here in the US up until the early 20th century, childbirth was so hard that many women died in their 40's or so, so it was common for men to take a second wife in mid-life, and normally that wife would be of typical marrying age, meaning 15-20. The last president to be married while in office married a teenage girl, whom he used to babysit, who was about 50 yrs. his junior. Politics being what it is, I doubt he would have done so if society had frowned upon the union.
Even today, in traditional Southern families you can still find those who will let their 13 y.o. daughter go out with a 20-something man, if they know him from church or family friendship, but I don't know of any of these which ended well.

I still think the fact that Koshiro turned to the teen was meant to show how depressed and lonely he was, rather than as a common choice made by normal, mentally-healthy men. I also think that the way he and his sister were drawn, with the exaggerated size difference, was meant to point this out as well.
Luminal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
After reading this thread I had to go watch the anime. I actually think that sex between siblings is wrong, but the way it was shown in this story it seemed like something beautiful. The story was beautiful and inspiring. I think it is very close to a masterpiece. If there was something I didn't like was maybe that it was too short.

I recomment this anime to everyone.

Luminal
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Luminal, how did you respond to the relationship over the course of the show? I'm curious, because, as you said, you're not really "for" incest, yet you found their relationship beautiful. I'm not trying to judge, I'm just curious how the creators ended up shaping your experience of the show. Were you incredulous at the beginning? If so, what helped shift your opinion on their relationship?
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
To darkhunter: Zalis and Reiko are right, and I agree with them as well, because the most famous Japanese novel masterpiece and its various adaptations had taught Japanese citizens (men in particular) an important concept:

"If you can't find an ideal female soulmate, raise one."

Get over it, or stop watching Japanese animation.

Don't you think that's a bit much? Forums were made for differing views on important topics like this. In the West we might call raising a soul mate something more akin to grooming. I'm not saying the West is always right and the East is always wrong, but there is certainly more than one way to look at this.
Luminal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
Luminal, how did you respond to the relationship over the course of the show? I'm curious, because, as you said, you're not really "for" incest, yet you found their relationship beautiful. I'm not trying to judge, I'm just curious how the creators ended up shaping your experience of the show. Were you incredulous at the beginning? If so, what helped shift your opinion on their relationship?

Well first of all, they make a big effort to present the big brother as a normal person with very visible flaws. However, he is also very caring and nowhere in the series you get the impression that he is or might be a sexual predator. Yes, it is true that he spoiler[sniffed her underwear and then masturbated thinking about her ] but he felt terribly guilty and tortured about it afterwards.

Nanoka on the other hand is a very charming and lovely character and you can't help but be immediately drawn to her and you soon understand why Koshiro is in love with her.

Their love was so pure that the morbidness that comes to mind whenever I think of sex between siblings was simply not present at all during the entire series. It was nice to see how such a pure love could develop between any two people, even a brother and a sister with 12 years of difference.

I enjoyed it a lot and will watch it again soon.

Luminal
Pinktiarapanda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
I thought this anime was EXQUISITE. Yes, the topic of incest makes me a little uncomfortable but i really wanted to open up to the story so i put aside my preconceptions and just watched the anime through.
i must say that if watched with an open mind, it is very very touching, mind opening and heart wrenching. the characters know damn well what they're doing and the risks and taboos associated with their relationship and this moves the anime into being a tear jerking testament of the character's inner struggles with accepting their feelings... and having the courage to follow them.

the way the story flows i think has an amazing way with allowing the viewer to really get inside each character's head. you almost see their struggles first hand so it's really able to get you feeling for what the character's are going through and see and understand from their perspectives.
i think in this way the anime is a work of art and genius.

Probably the best writing i've yet to see in an anime and def. one of my favorites.
totitot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
this series, anime and manga, would probably be one of the best I've ever read and watched... it is magnificent and is certainly very intriguing... read the manga 6 times already (and planning on reading it again... damn...) and watched the anime 4 times (and now im on my fifth... damn again...) im not quite sure if i would approve of a real life incestuous relationship... but at least im sure it would be very interesting...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
After debating it for while I actually decided last year to buy the series. I'd seen it already but was hesitant because I didn't know if I ever be able to work up the nerve or be in the mood to watch it again. However, when I saw that Geneon items were on sale and the set was one of them I decided to go for it. I watched it again to make sure the discs worked and think it still holds up as a masterpiece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8