• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks: Gatchaman Crowds Release Does Not Include Director's Cut Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
It's like talking to a brick well.

Look, that stuff in the 'extra special" episode was supposed to be in the TV airing. Things happened, they got delayed and were not able to animate it in time. They went admitted fault and asked for forgiveness online. Again, this isn't bonus content, this was planned from the beginning as being part of the show. Why is this so hard to understand? It's not bonus if it is pivotal to the story. It's not bonus if it was supposed to be in the final product. It's not bonus if they meant for you to see it as part of the story. Yes, Sentai might not have meant to screw anymore. The Japanese company screwed everyone by not managing to finish the show on time. And no, I'm not offended by how NA companies do their business, since I don't care. But I find it amazing that people defend it.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
I think everyone is talking to a brick wall.

While it was material they wanted to put on TV, they couldn't. By releasing on disc only, it becomes an OVA. Sentais contract was more than likely only for TV. Where they offered the OVA? No one knows.

I mean it doesn't really matter, this show is just a lili filled piece of trash that dares to sue the Gatachman title for something that has no real relation. Fricking anime industry is killing it self with this sort of crap.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I mean it doesn't really matter, this show is just a lili filled piece of trash that dares to sue the Gatachman title for something that has no real relation. Fricking anime industry is killing it self with this sort of crap.

And yet is got great reviews, and sold half-decently. It's also getting a movie and a second season. Yup... killing itself indeed. Like the original was some unequaled masterpiece...
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:

While it was material they wanted to put on TV, they couldn't. By releasing on disc only, it becomes an OVA. Sentais contract was more than likely only for TV. Where they offered the OVA? No one knows.

That and the Japanese side has looked down on their international fans, I mean let's face it, there's been more of these licensing restrictions and redtapes coming out of Japan, and it really pissed me off.

DmonHiro: You lived in Romania, why does North American release concern you? You're basically soapboxing, and the NA release has nothing to do with you (since you're living in Romania). If you want to blame for not releasing the last episode, blame the Japanese side not the US side. As I said, the Japanese sides of the production seem to look down on international anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Look, that stuff in the 'extra special" episode was supposed to be in the TV airing. Things happened, they got delayed and were not able to animate it in time. They went admitted fault and asked for forgiveness online. Again, this isn't bonus content, this was planned from the beginning as being part of the show. Why is this so hard to understand? It's not bonus if it is pivotal to the story. It's not bonus if it was supposed to be in the final product. It's not bonus if they meant for you to see it as part of the story. Yes, Sentai might not have meant to screw anymore. The Japanese company screwed everyone by not managing to finish the show on time. And no, I'm not offended by how NA companies do their business, since I don't care. But I find it amazing that people defend it.

I do get that the production screwed up and could not air the tv version of episode 12 they intended to. And because Sentai licensed only the tv anime, they are stuck with the "unfinished" version that aired on Japan.

The right thing would have been for the licensor to add the director's cut of episode 12 to the original license deal, but if the Japanese companies refused to do that, I cannot blame Sentai for not having all the produced anime content.

And yes, I am defending Sentai because it appears that the things that happened in the Japanese side of things are out of their control. Like others have said, I rather see the 12 tv episodes released than nothing at all.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
News flash, people from Romania can, and in fact do, buy NA releases. We order them from Rightstuff or Amazon.

Also, were is the "looking down on international anime fans" BS coming from? The only reason the R2 industry has been reluctant to share their best stuff is because R2 and R1 are now on the same bluray region. Back in the DVD age, it didn't matter because they were different regions (R1 and R2), but now Japanese could reverse import the cheaper NA releases and not buy the Japanese ones, which would be bad for the anime industry. It's not "looking down" it's "looking ahead".

@angelmcazares: OK, then it seems we DO understand each other. As in, the "13th" episode is not just a bonus clip, but an actual part of the final episode.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
And no, it wasn't made by another company. I have no idea where you people got that idea. It's the same studio, and the same people that worked on the
whole TV show. I don't see how another company can own it, like Sentai claims.

If thats what you think, then you don't understand how the Japanese anime industry works.

It's not about what Production Studio did the animation, of course it was the same people that did both the TV series and OVA, the problem is the Production Commitee for the show i.e. all of the OTHER companies involved that throw money at the Studio so they can actually make the show, which usually includes the manga/light novel publisher (whether that show was an adaptation of a book, or has its own adaptation), a TV network, clothing/toy.video game companies that each want merchandise rights to the show, etc...

Even if a studio or the main rights holder retains rights to the main TV show, it is extremely common for additional material, specials, OVAs and DVD extras to be owned by one of these other companies, or even have the rights split amongst them (this is one of the main reasons many licensed shows don't include very many Japanese extras, because the rights are just a mess). As an example, you know all those bonus anime OVA DVDs that get included with manga volumes in Japan? 99% of the time they're owned by the manga/novel publisher, regardless of whatever company or studio might own the main anime series rights.

Gatchaman Crowds is probably no different, all of those companies want a piece of the pie, so to speak, so its likely they agreed to fund the completion of this final episode even though the series had finished broadcasting, with the catch that one (or all) of them would hold on to the rights for it in some way.

It's pretty much impossible to license something owned by 5, 6, or even more companies, since they all have to be on the same page and agree to the same terms and they all want money. On the off-chance they can all come to an agreement, an American company like Sentai may not even be able to afford what each of these companies is asking.

Pretty much the same potential situation even if only 1 company owned the rights. They may be asking too much for the one, precious episode that they own for whatever semi-popular series, that the licensor simply can't afford it, or if they could, risk paying more they think its worth and not breaking even and therefore losing money.

Or maybe Sentai did ask, even offering a generous sum of money, yet the rights holder simply said "NO". It happens more often than you'd think. Or sure, maybe you're right, and Sentai was lazy and just didn't try hard enough to get it, but given that there are SOOOOO many ways licensing something like this OVA could have gone wrong, or been outright impossible, I'm willing to give Sentai the benefit of the doubt.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I do get that the production screwed up and could not air the tv version of episode 12 they intended to. And because Sentai licensed only the tv anime, they are stuck with the "unfinished" version that aired on Japan.

The right thing would have been for the licensor to add the director's cut of episode 12 to the original license deal, but if the Japanese companies refused to do that, I cannot blame Sentai for not having all the produced anime content.

And yes, I am defending Sentai because it appears that the things that happened in the Japanese side of things are out of their control. Like others have said, I rather see the 12 tv episodes released than nothing at all.

Exactly, I started to notice that the Japanese side has started to become more restricted when it comes to licensing anime outside of Japan. I mean this is not only happen to Sentai, but also to Funimation and Viz Media.

DmonHiro wrote:
News flash, people from Romania can, and in fact do, buy NA releases. We order them from Rightstuff or Amazon.

Also, were is the "looking down on international anime fans" BS coming from? The only reason the R2 industry has been reluctant to share their best stuff is because R2 and R1 are now on the same bluray region. Back in the DVD age, it didn't matter because they were different regions (R1 and R2), but now Japanese could reverse import the cheaper NA releases and not buy the Japanese ones, which would be bad for the anime industry. It's not "looking down" it's "looking ahead".

There's been allegation that the Japanese entertainment industry (including anime/manga) may be showing some xenophobic attitude, I'll quote this:

eyeresist wrote:

Problems licencing certain animes outside Japan have been frequently discussed, and those problems seem to apply to virtually all Japanese entertainment. Convoluted production committees require detailed permission from each stakeholder. And many of the people in charge have a very insular, xenophobic mentality, and will only consider harebrained schemes like setting up their own distribution outlets and demanding ALL TEH MONEYS for standard or less-than-standard product. Anime and videogames are actually some of the more openminded industries in Japan, despite whatever complaints we might have.

Judging from how many licensing restrictions that is coming down on anime when they're licensed outside of Japan, I say this is somewhat maybe true ( it wouldn't surprise me, Japan has a lot of issues and xenophobia is one of them).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah, the Japanese have always been slightly xenophobic, but it's not something aimed specifically towards international anime fans. I believe they hate all people equally.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, yeah, the Japanese have always been slightly xenophobic, but it's not something aimed specifically towards international anime fans. I believe they hate all people equally.

Not slightly, there's a lot of issues when it comes to Japan's xenophobia:

anti-Hallyu/Korean voices growing in Japan

US raises concern over "hate speech" against ethnic Koreans in Japan

Counseling offered for Korean youths in Japan victimized by discrimination

Japan to [Brazilian] Immigrants: Thanks, But You Can Go Home Now

Japan Pays Foreign [Brazilian] Workers to Go Home

In India, there was a Japanese-owned hotel that put "Japanese only, no Indian allowed". First reported by Debito.

“No Foreigners” (and no women) Capsule Inn Omiya hotel in Saitama

So I suspect the xenophobia is also aimed at international anime fans, not only foreigners living in Japan. It's like Japan aren't willing (and not putting aggressive marketing) to share their pop culture outside to the world. But I'm going off topic, as I said, the Japanese side tend to look down on international anime fans. I mean didn't you read Answerman from last week, maybe I should quote it for ya:

Justin 'Answerman' Servakis wrote:
To get back to your question, since OVAs are produced largely as a separate marketing event for a given franchise, they are usually a separate license for international publishers. However, what do those publishers do when there's just one episode? How do you justify the expense of a separate license fee for what's essentially a glorified DVD extra, one that is mostly filler and doesn't contribute anything to the main story? Sometimes the licensor doesn't even want to make it available outside of Japan. After all, the program is an important premium item for Japanese fans, and they risk cheapening it by letting an American company throw it on one of their already low-priced discs for free.

So without some way to package these OAVs into a compelling multi-episode volume, there's really not a good way to package and sell them to the US market right now. Perhaps that'll change in the future, but in the mean time I don't think anybody in the US would be too excited to buy a Blu-ray with a single episode 25-minute OAV on it.

Also there's another evidence that seem to confirm Japan's xenophobia and looking down on international anime fans, Answerman said this:

Justin 'Answerman' Servakis wrote:
It's impossible to tell what shows are genuinely lost forever in film form. American companies have long been told a specific classic show they're after has no good elements, or that the film has been lost, and then a brand new HD version magically shows up on Japanese store shelves a year later. I've heard gossip that "Show X had its masters lost in a fire," so many times, only to later be completely proven wrong, that I've stopped believing it. What, are Japan's anime film vaults just constantly burning to the ground?

Are the American publishers being lied to? Probably sometimes. "Those elements don't exist" is a nice and polite way of shutting down a proposal from a zealous and possibly annoying American, and licensors do it all the time. But sometimes licensors genuinely don't know what exists, or what might be lurking in the vault somewhere. These are big companies, and it's pretty common for things to fall through the cracks. Frankly, I don't blame them for not wanting to trust their precious and completely irreplaceable film elements to dirty Americans FedEx and international customs.

Is that enough to stop your complaining, DmonHiro???
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well, no. I couldn't care less that the Japanese are xenophobic.
I also don't care about then looking down on me. I look down in them because I think they have terrible taste in some cases. Does not make me right.

All I care about is the end product. And in this particular case it's not worth my money.
I don't care the reason why it's incomplete, I just care that it is incomplete.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well, no. I couldn't care less that the Japanese are xenophobic.
I also don't care about then looking down on me. I look down in them because I think they have terrible taste in some cases. Does not make me right.

All I care about is the end product. And in this particular case it's not worth my money.
I don't care the reason why it's incomplete, I just care that it is incomplete.

Then why are you hating on Sentai when this is completely the Japanese side is at fault. You should be hating and criticizing the Japanese side of the thing, not Sentai. As I said, the Japanese side has been doing this for a while not only to Sentai, but also Funimation and Viz Media too. This is why Japan seem to have dropped the ball.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm hating on Sentai for not announcing this until specifically asked.
I stated that it may be Sentai's fault, or it may be the Japanese company's fault.
I can't blame the people who worked on the show for not finishing on time because I'm well documented on the working conditions. They are horrible. That is the fault of the Japanese companies.

I also stated that I don't really care whose fault it is.

PS: The only two cases I know for a fact that the Japanese screwed over the NA company are Kurokami (Japanese audio was refused for the NA release) and Persona 4 (subtitles could not be turned off). Both these cases are because of (reasonable) fear of reverse importation. Both these cases are documented and accepted as facts. If you have other examples, with cold hard facts, please share. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying I do not know them.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
After reading this article the first time it proves to me that the Japanese production seem to look down on international anime fans, if they weren't, then the director's cut episode would've been included and this article wouldn't have been written.

I know more about this then you do, apparently. The OVA wasn't supposed to exist at all. They never planed on making it, thus there was no way include it in the original deal. It's not even OVA to be exact. It's the completed episode 12. The original deal was probably for 12 episodes. But this completed episode was not included because it's technically a 13th episode, even though it is the planned ending to the anime. And no, it wasn't made by another company. I have no idea where you people got that idea. It's the same studio, and the same people that worked on the
whole TV show. I don't see how another company can own it, like Sentai claims.

PS: No, Sentai was not being honorable in admitting this. They were asked about this specifically, and had no choice but to fess up. Had they not have been asked, you would not have known about until people got their discs, just like with Funimation.

What needed to be done was for another contract to be made for that last episode. Sentai was either refused by the Japanese, or Sentai didn't care enough to try. Either way, it does not matter. All that matters is the end product, witch is Incomplete. That is fact. There is no way to dance around the issue that the shows intended ending is not on Sentai's release. If you want to support incomplete shows, that's your business, except you are screwing over people who want an actual quality product. And no, you can't have a quality product if you're missing something as important as this. Q.A.D.

Sentai didn't hide the fact that directors cut was not included. The release was solicited as 12 episodes, not 13. The run time would also indicate only 12 episodes. There was also the fact that Section 23 was asked about the director's cut immediately after it was solicited, and they replied that they did not have the rights to it. It's been fairly well known that it wouldn't be included, as you yourself have shown by commenting on every article about it.

If Sentai doesn't have the rights, they can't release it. It's pretty simple. If you don't want the show, then don't buy it, but plenty of people would prefer to have it this way than not at all.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
There was also the fact that Section 23 was asked about the director's cut, as the replied that they did not have the rights to it.

And that's my point. They had to be ASKED. If they were truly honest, they would have announced it of their own free will. They could not have not known about its existence. If they had not been asked, do you really think they would have said they didn't have it? No, they would have hidden it just like Funi did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5