• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press' Light Novel Imprint Adds Log Horizon, No Game No Life, Devil is a Part-timer!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited. I will definitely pick up Log Horizon, No Game, and Part-timer. Hopefully with LNs seemingly finding a niche in North America at long last, others will come down the line too. I keep my fingers crossed for Denpa Onna and Yusibu one day making their way over here too, as incredibly unlikely as both may be.
cosain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
PANDORA HEARTS NEEDS MORE LOVE
AND I AM GLAD
SO GLAD
YEN IS ACTUALLY PUBLISHING THE LN ONTOP OF THE ARTBOOK

well i was on twitter the moment the announcement was made so my hype has prolly died down haha
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Maou-sama!!!! Will definitely be getting that series. Log Horizon is a maybe. I'll probably decide that after watching its 2nd season. Didn't like NGNL enough to even contemplate getting the books.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
So, this may seem like a dumb question, but where exactly do we buy these? I mean, I've never really come across them at Barnes & Noble lol I tried going to the Yen Press site, but I can't seem to find any online store there
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
So, this may seem like a dumb question, but where exactly do we buy these? I mean, I've never really come across them at Barnes & Noble lol I tried going to the Yen Press site, but I can't seem to find any online store there

Right Stuf is your friend and your wallet's worst nightmare Wink
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The No game no life novels are pretty slight (they don't call them light novels for nothing). I hope Yen Press considers combining two or three Japanese books into a single English volume, similar to the way publishers are bringing out omnibus volumes of manga. Both because they'll catch up sooner, and because the resulting books will be more worth it from the point of view of a purchaser (I think they did combine a pair of the Haruhi novels?).

I've been impressed that they've continued to bring out Spice and Wolf and Book Girl (especially the latter).

Two series I'd really like to see them revive are Kino's Journey (one volume was published by Tokyopop, back in the day) and the Boogiepop Phantom novels, but I don't really expect to see that happen ever.

Sasami-san@ganbaranai might be interesting to see, too. Something I really don't expect to see, but would love, is Horizon on the middle of nowhere.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
My main problem is the same problem facing manga. How many people are left there looking like idiots with 5,7,10 volumes of a manga that will never be complete. Its not a rare occurence, and some pretty popular series have had this fate.

...You start collecting manga under the assumption you will have the whole work. You can't have it both ways, you want people to buy the product, but then you only release as much of it as you want.

Leaving something serialized. like manga and light novels, incomplete is always a possibility (especially for longer works). But the consumer has to be aware of the risks of buying serialized works. Why get upset with the publishers. If something they publish is not generating money, the smart thing for them is to stop releasing that particular work.

Besides, no one is forcing you to buy manga and light novels. And chill out, CrownKlown. Your posts seem so angry all the time.

First of all I am not angry, nor did I say anything to suggest that in the previous post. I just want to get that out of the way. I am merely pointing out a realistic issue facing this industry, and a legitimate compliant that arises as a result.

Unlike say if I was collecting Game of Thrones Book Series (Song of Fire and Ice), or something similar, that series is ongoing, so of course I can't realistically expect the entire work. Something could happen to the author and he never gets around to finishing the work. But manga is different. Most of those series are complete. You think the consumer is any better position than the licensor to foresee if a series will do well? Do I need to go and forecast sales, and chart patterns, just to see if a series will continue? That is unreasonable for a consumer, but not for a distributor.

Once again, I am merely stating my opinion that I view the licensing of many of these series as fools errand, in a normal tone, and if you are offended I am sorry that is not my intention.

Last edited by CrownKlown on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Log Horizon was one of my favourite anime so I am very excited for the light novels to be licensed. Never bought LNs before so looking forward to them very much. Will Yen On be releasing volumes every 4 months? We should be caught up in 3 to 4 years depending on how many volumes are released in Japan. Not too bad...

I believe Yen's model is every 3 or 4 months, but considering it's been 8 months since the release of volume 7 in Japan, we should have through volume 8 released in the US before Japan gets volume 9.

Volume 8 (due out at the end of September) only took so long because the author was working on the tabletop rpg rule book that came out early May. As for volume 9, rumor suggests that it'll be the Kanami side story he hasn't gotten around to editing for publication, and they're at least attempting to get it out this year. If they can manage that I doubt volume 10 will be out any later than next summer.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
The No game no life novels are pretty slight (they don't call them light novels for nothing). I hope Yen Press considers combining two or three Japanese books into a single English volume, similar to the way publishers are bringing out omnibus volumes of manga. Both because they'll catch up sooner, and because the resulting books will be more worth it from the point of view of a purchaser (I think they did combine a pair of the Haruhi novels?).

Several of the Vampire Hunter D NA releases have been "Parts 1 & 2."
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I'm on board with all of these. I've been meaning to catch up on Yen Press's other LN releases but for some reason never got around to it. NGNL and Maou-sama, though? Must-haves for me.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Woah, definitely did NOT expect to see Log Horizon come over here! Can't wait til 2015! :DDD
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
(I think they did combine a pair of the Haruhi novels?).

*Looks at shelf*
Yep, Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya was 2 volumes in Japan, but both books were made into one for us in the west.

dm wrote:
I've been impressed that they've continued to bring out Spice and Wolf and Book Girl (especially the latter).

I kind of wish they'd release Spice and Wolf faster! They recently released volume 12 of the series, so there's 5 left (I think). With the way they release it, means we've got to wait another couple of years for them to reach and release the last volume.

Book Girl is a series I plan on buying soon. Took them 4 years to release that 8 volume series. Though, I've no idea if that was down to the author.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
Volume 8 (due out at the end of September) only took so long because the author was working on the tabletop rpg rule book that came out early May. As for volume 9, rumor suggests that it'll be the Kanami side story he hasn't gotten around to editing for publication, and they're at least attempting to get it out this year. If they can manage that I doubt volume 10 will be out any later than next summer.

*has the TRPG rulebook... despite not being able to read it*

I'm hoping for the Kanami stuff, and I'm hoping we get it in the anime. Since it's technically already "published", 6-8 and that should give us enough for a full 2 cour.
OniTasku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
My main problem is the same problem facing manga. How many people are left there looking like idiots with 5,7,10 volumes of a manga that will never be complete. Its not a rare occurence, and some pretty popular series have had this fate.

Aside from when the bubble burst in the mid-00s with Tokyopop/Del Rey, I don't really believe there have been many outright cancellations. I can think of a few series, such as Reborn, Gintama, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, and Drops of God. Since then, no major publisher has really gone on to drop any current project.

Quote:
Then combine it with the fact like some said this a relatively new industry in the West, some LN series are well past 20 volumes, some are ongoing, and the extremely slow rate of 2 volumes a year maybe 3, what are the odds realistically that Index for example actually get translated in its entirety.

And they are betting on their audience being familiar with the franchise, but having not read any of it (for the most part). Fans that read scanlations represent a minority in the general demographic of those that read (and more importantly buy) manga. Most sales still occur in brick & mortar shops.

They are making the series legally available, and many readers are going to pick it up. Not saying it isn't a monumental undertaking, because it is, but some readers don't mind being in it for the long haul.

Quote:
I know its their work and they have the right to do what they want, but I would flip the argument, and force any publisher that cancels a series to buyback any previous volumes of a work. Simple as that. You start collecting manga under the assumption you will have the whole work. You can't have it both ways, you want people to buy the product, but then you only release as much of it as you want.

And that is almost entirely up to fans to continue supporting releases. If poor sales and reader attrition continue on a dangerous slope, the series itself will be in jeopardy. It's rather naive to expect any publisher to have to buy back [tens of] thousands of books if they cannot complete it. They already deal with returns from booksellers/vendors normally. That isn't how businesses work. The manga industry is no different.

Treeborn wrote:

If you frequent B&N, you can always special order specific releases from them. Just head on over to the counter, talk to a sales clerk and request any titles that are coming out/are already out (that they may not have in-stock). Most book stores and comic shops are incredibly good about this. In fact, ordering these books through stores helps drive demand and also helps out the publishers.

If you feel like ordering online, there's always B&N.com and RightStuf. Amazon is unfortunately in the midst of a nasty spat with the distributor of Yen Press (Hachette), so none of their titles are currently available through them. Hope that helps!
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
BTW. Is it possible to order books directly from Yen Press if you are not living in USA? Or buying from Amazon etc. is the only way?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5