• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trinity Seven

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This show reminds me of Shirogan Ishii Argevollen. It's not bad, and yet it's so... unpassionate, so mediocre that it's pretty much impossible to watch.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this show totally got the wrong idea for the first half of the first episode. It tried to show that it would be a dark and edgy magic story, but then it went full harem. Also, why is the protagonist openly liking his situation? I mean, the series has already established that he desperately wants to save his implied girlfriend. Wouldn't he stay, oh I don't know, a little bit loyal?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know where you get the idea that straight dudes with girlfriends lose their appreciation for gratuitious female nudity, but no, that's not how it works.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying he'd lose interest. What I'm saying is that he'd probably try to avoid having a harem. After all, we all know what happens if you embrace the harem

(You end up like that guy in school days)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:

The first lead loli is self-declared waifu and sneaks into his bed.

The second lead loli says she is ok with being mistress and sneaks into his bed.

The first lead loli says that is ok with her.

School Days? Doesn't seem to be building up that way. Harem? Yes indeed.

However this male lead seems to be perfectly in control of his libido and has other things on his mind than scoring chicks. But he likes to tease them and some of them like to tease back. It is probably the best feature of this anime.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

The first lead loli is self-declared waifu and sneaks into his bed.

The second lead loli says she is ok with being mistress and sneaks into his bed.

The first lead loli says that is ok with her.

School Days? Doesn't seem to be building up that way. Harem? Yes indeed.

However this male lead seems to be perfectly in control of his libido and has other things on his mind than scoring chicks. But he likes to tease them and some of them like to tease back. It is probably the best feature of this anime.

Perhaps I didn't make my joking stance clear enough...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Agreed. It and the characters designs are really the only redeeming features at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
James S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Honestly, this show totally got the wrong idea for the first half of the first episode. It tried to show that it would be a dark and edgy magic story, but then it went full harem. Also, why is the protagonist openly liking his situation? I mean, the series has already established that he desperately wants to save his implied girlfriend. Wouldn't he stay, oh I don't know, a little bit loyal?

I'd like to point out two things. First, this anime is based off a manga that from before it was published established itself as a romantic comedy with some action and dark plotlines being a part of it, not the other way around. The only problem with anime adaptations in general is that unless you've already viewed the source, you'll only take what you see at face value and if some part of the show changes into something that you don't like without warning, you'll instantly hate it while those who knew that it would happen from the beginning will chide you for not doing even a tiny bit of research to understand the general theme of the series.

Tge second thing I'd like to point out is that Arata and Hijiri are cousins that have been together since they were little kids. Sure, Hijiri kissed Arata, sure dating your cousin isn't as taboo as say a sibling. That's not the point though. The whole point l is that Arata sees her as close family, not girlfriend, not the hot girl you see from across the street, family. With that being the case, sure he wants to rescue his family, but he's also a hormonal teen, who's single and being surrounded by a harem of beautiful women. The fact that he can act as what you'd normally think a teen in that situation would act and not those spineless crybabies and dense idiots that so frequent- Anyway, he's not being disloyal to anyone because he's not with anyone romantically. Just wanted to point that out.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Too bad that there won't be anymore review until the last episode.
Anyways, things are getting more mysterious, with Hijiri's... copy? Clone? Hallucination? showing up to invite Arata to wherever she intended to lead him. A new grimoire and Light magic user are expected to appear in Ep. 9, so I wonder how that's gonna go.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Final Review wrote:
Rating: C-

I can't think of a single thing to dispute in the review. Crunchyroll probably won't carry the OVA so I doubt I will ever see it.

It would be interesting to see if a first-rate writer took it over to do a second season. Whatever it did wrong the first season set up a lot of interesting things to follow up with and it would be possible to make something of it, provided that the "too casual" battles could be dispensed with.

Seriously, most of the time they fought I was expecting them to take a break and sit down for a nice cake and tea.

Oh, well. At least we will have more time for something else.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

After watching the last episode, I was wondering why I didn't drop this, and pretty much what you said is what I came up with. I guess that was refreshing enough to keep me coming back.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
yeah, it seemed like the main focus was making Arata the most perfect, well balanced harem lead ever. I think that's cool, and I'd definitely appreciate more guys like him, but I would have also liked a better story to go along with the model harem lead.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I've read the manga and I'd like to say that the anime was pretty faithful... in the wrong way. It felt like they used the panels DIRECTLY from the manga instead of actual storyboards when they made the episodes and as a result didn't make the changes necessarry when moving to a diferent medium.

It was an enjoyable series, but also pretty dissapointing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3