• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Haunting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
The Viz DVDs look even worse than the Blu-rays. The recent DVDs from European countries, however, look exactly like their Japanese counterparts. In conclusion, it's all Viz's fault.
Why not Toei? I'm sure Viz wanted to get the best materials available. Are the European DVDs encoded as PAL or NTSC?

Yes, Viz had to settle for whatever the licensors gave them.
As for "European" DVDs, France uses SECAM, while the rest of Europe uses PAL. Japan of course uses NTSC. So European DVDs cannot look "exactly" like their Japanese counterparts.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote
Looks I'll be holding off from buying Sailor Moon for a little while. I'm not the person who notices bad quality quickly, but this really doesn't sound good.
I'm curious about the new dub though. Oh well, time to trick Hulu.

I always think it's a shame when film grain gets removed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote
Spot on analysis of Arise. It's pretty to look at, but there's nothing to really connect to.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Yeah, I read about the Sailor Moon issues elsewhere. I hope it won't really bug me, but I don't know. I mean, I got irritated by The Lion King when Disney released it on DVD originally (had a macroblocking issue - the BluRay release doesn't have this problem fortunately) and that was much more minor compared to the screenshots I've seen for Sailor Moon.

It'll surely be an upgrade from the ADV DVD sets in any case, but it's still disappointing. This means I have zero reason now to buy Viz's version of S, SuperS, or the movies since I still have the Geneon DVDs. I don't care about the dub and the SuperS specials are only mildly entertaining - not enough to rebuy for. But Viz will still get my money for the rest of the original series, all of R, and Sailor Stars. So I hope they fix these problems for the future sets. Sad
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
How does the blu ray compare to the episodes on Hulu? Anyone know?
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
This is why fans should've been asking the important questions when Viz first announced they had the license. I've been voicing my concerns about this US release for months, only to see my comments get lost in the "OMG Sailor Moon is back" shuffle or criticized by other fans. The writing was definitely on the wall that something else bad would occur with this release, which is why I'm neither disappointed nor surprised.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
This is why fans should've been asking the important questions when Viz first announced they had the license. I've been voicing my concerns about this US release for months, only to see my comments get lost in the "OMG Sailor Moon is back" shuffle or criticized by other fans. The writing was definitely on the wall that something else bad would occur with this release, which is why I'm neither disappointed nor surprised.

I think the problem for some of us is the fact that Viz releases so little anime compared to the other companies that Viz's reputation isn't known. I don't own a single Viz release (Sailor Moon will be my first) because Viz simply doesn't put out anime I am interested in buying or (in the case of a few past shows) I didn't get around to buying it right away and they stopped releasing it before it finished so I never bought it at all (see Monster and Full Moon wo Sagashite).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:

I think the problem for some of us is the fact that Viz releases so little anime compared to the other companies that Viz's reputation isn't known.

No? No, confidently a "no". They do a lot of what they do but what they do isn't, well, this. But if you want Naruto, Bleach, Pokémon or other shows you can find on a store shelf for the masses, that they can do. And they want to keep it that way {I have no idea how that'll work out for them}.

From what I've heard about the Ranma 1/2 remastered releases, it would seem to be more a case of someone on the Japan end didn't care.

On the other hand, Viz was promoting the dub for Sailor Moon, not the remastering. And what I saw streaming was fine but then, I thought the same about Flower of Rinne's stream but was disappointed by Viz's DVD release {how do you do over saturation on modern anime DVDs anyway?}.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Am I missing something about this "UY BD"?

Seriously, for those without a Viz chip on their shoulder, who didn't think Ranma 1/2 turned out badly but have been scared off from the SM BD's, just how "bad" are the Sailor Moon DVD's, for those who want the dub?
No angry-geek hyperbole, please, I'm still waiting for an answer to the other poster who asked "Do they look as good as the Hulu versions?" For that, I can stick with DVD sets.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I'm arguing against this sticking point that goes something like "oh this anime is old therefore I guess it can never look good on BluRay because it's old and we might as well give Viz/Toei/etc a pass" when that's not how film restoration works. Ranma and Urusei Yatsura had BD sets in Japan, so Viz's Ranma set looked just fine, but that's not the result with Sailor Moon.
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Thank you for writing about the Sailor Moon release. I’m rather confused about it. I received my Sailor Moon box last week and already watched it all. It wasn’t what I was prepared for or expecting in terms of the video quality. It’s very confusing to me that the screencaps VIZ has shown for comparisons do not match up with what is on my TV screen. They make their version look better than what I’m experiencing. I also had watched a couple of episodes streaming before. You can pick out some of the video issues in the streams. However, I found the problems more distracting on the Blu-ray for some reason. The DVDs have the same issues, maybe a little less blurring, or whatever is going on with lines in the images sometimes. But, then in addition there’s the pillarbox problem with the DVDs where the image ends up completely in a black rectangle unless you view them on a widescreen TV. At least VIZ is going to stop doing that now.

I’m not a video expert or perfectionist. In the end a copy of a copy is still a copy and I don’t know there’s a lot if anything someone can do about changing that. But, these issues are feeling very much like something outside of that reality. It’s not just a copy, it’s a not so great copy. I probably should have expected something when VIZ said it was going on Blu-ray too. But, in all the years I’ve been collecting anime I’ve never purchased a video product from them before. So I’m thinking I may write VIZ since they keep telling people to write support about it. I know I would be more upset than feeling some disappointment right now if I bought this not for the dub, or didn’t own a flatscreen TV.

(Hopefully that all made some sort of sense.)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Looks I'll be holding off from buying Sailor Moon for a little while. I'm not the person who notices bad quality quickly, but this really doesn't sound good.
I'm curious about the new dub though.

If you are not picky about video quality, you should be fine with this release. I think Bamboo is making a bigger deal about the video than it should be. Yes, it sucks that the video is kind of crappy, but only videophiles would see it as a big deal.

Also, the new dub sounds great, and if you are a big fan of Sailor Moon and have never own it, crappy BD/DVD's are better than nothing.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

If you are not picky about video quality

Considering how this is a product you're paying big money for, I'd hope you'd be picky about the video quality.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that RG:S got on he shelf but last time it was reviewed it got low marks.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
I'm curious about the new dub though.

If you are not picky about video quality, you should be fine with this release. I think Bamboo is making a bigger deal about the video than it should be. Yes, it sucks that the video is kind of crappy, but only videophiles would see it as a big deal.

Also, the new dub sounds great, and if you are a big fan of Sailor Moon and have never own it, crappy BD/DVD's are better than nothing.
You're right, I'd probably be fine with the BD quality, but I have a different reason for not getting the BD's and that's the price. It's more a personal matter, but there's still a ton of things I want to buy and I don't want to spend 80 euros on 1 set.

I do want Sailor Moon in my collection though, because despite not liking R that much, I absolutely love S, SuperS and Sailor Stars and the new dub sounds so good judging from the clips I saw.

Looks like I'll be getting the DVD releases and with that, saving 38 euros per set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
The first arc in Railgun S is amazing, five star material.

The second arc? Its pretty meh, and its telling that it wasn't in the manga, I believe.

Even Railgun suffers from filler, I guess.

The second arc wasn't in the manga. Neither was the second arc in the first season. The big difference between railgun filler and most other series filler is that railgun filler is still canon.

I agree about the arc though. Definitely the weakest of the 4 so far in the anime. I was really hoping to see Misaka do some crazy stuff since she got sidelined in the previous arc (as she should have), but instead her ability got severely downplayed in favor of giving secondary characters more screen time. Though I think I'm partially bitter we didn't get Liberal Arts City after they name dropped it early on, but judging from the name drop again at the end, I guess they're opening season 3 with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5