• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Rolling Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I have to scratch my head that the spoiler[bomber's punishment is to receive a position of power (even gaining a heart stone!).] I hope the next prefecture the girls end up will allow Wit Studio to go nuts with the animation styles.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that stealing is considered worse than murder but it's a-ok to snatch up unattended vehicles. Smile
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Well the comparisons to Kill la Kill and FLCL have officially peaked my interest. I'm a sucker for over the top animation and I've been waiting for another one to fill the void after KLK ended. Quite a stark contrast compared to Attack on Titan though! But at least Wit Studio doesn't seem to be playing it safe and experimenting with a different style that challenges their animations talents. AoT's action scenes were wonderfully animated, but many quieter scenes were pretty static.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
so, this has become this season's space dandy, except slightly inferior.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Interesting that stealing is considered worse than murder but it's a-ok to snatch up unattended vehicles. Smile

Or someone's stone.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Is this going to be a detriment for Rolling Girls where the main cast are relegated to just passive supporting roles surrounded by super-powered badasses? I'd imagine that is one of the reasons the otaku haven't resonated with this (besides being distracted with Kancolle and Idolmaster) because so far it hasn't given the main cast to truly shine for them to latch onto.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Is this going to be a detriment for Rolling Girls where the main cast are relegated to just passive supporting roles surrounded by super-powered badasses?

I think road trip stories are popular for a good reason, but all the good ones put plenty of focus on the people/places visited. Each new site has to introduce new characters and in this case they include one or more Bests. That doesn't make the wanderers supporting roles.

Too many anime spend much of their time wandering the same classroom/clubroom/hallway at some school or other and this is a remarkably refreshing change.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying this show but I feel like it is being overlooked by the fans. This is going to be another sleeper hit just like Kurau Phantom Memory and Dennou Coil. The first two episodes were great but nothing much happened from that point on. However, this week's episode has been the best (no pun intended) in a long while.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 Review wrote:
the build to each character introduction and new challenge, and the way the music fit and elevated it all made it a wonder to behold. The color work was great, the backgrounds were lovely, the pacing kept energy high, the song itself was one of the show's best... everything just worked,

The artwork is definitely working for me. The characters not so much and I am not sure of what the lack is. Does anyone else feel that?
That Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
I have seen nothing special from this show it just seems like one of those overhyped shows that come around every year, and i hate how the ANN reviewers have this bias against popular shows and give these lesser known shows A's
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
I had not understood the octopus. I have a feeling that this show will repay multiple viewings.

What a wonderful pair of episodes seven and eight were --- what delightful, colorful post-cards from Kyoto. The familiar scenes of the city make me think the other episodes must be similarly full of context and a "nonsense of place". Of course, it might just be touristy, wikipedia-mining place-dropping, to go along with the (is there more to it?) name-dropping of having Shutendoji disrupt the concert with Kannon-fire, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Plus: this arc's visit to Kyoto sent me off to revisit Kyousogiga (which the show was already reminding me of, anyway). This in itself made the episodes worthwhile (maybe I should follow up with Eccentric Family, too).

But then they capped the episodes with that fantastic concert/fireworks/action finale. What a treat!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
Man, this show came roaring back in a big way this last arc. I've been varying degrees of disappointed with it given that it had (until now) failed to recapture the sheer energy of the first two episodes. And when you lose that...well it becomes fairly apparent that there just isn't that much of actual substance here. The plots are thin and the characters are somewhat unremarkable. I mean, they've got some solid chemistry with each other and they do actually get some respectable development. Plus there are some fun side characters. It's just not generally enough to drive a super compelling show though. But yeah, this was a huge step up to me. Episodes 7 and 8 are easily the strongest since the first two. Partially that's because they're mostly a little more rapidly paced and definitely a little more stocked with big, lavish action sequences. But also, this was the first segment that I actually felt really stood on its own story-wise. Or at least enough to carry me through the slower parts. And then that big setpiece at the end was just phenomenal.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I agree mostly with the review. What irked me most was that just as I had arranged myself with the setup and the fact that the "main" cast was not so much a "main" cast, all of a sudden an episode was dumped on us right there that had (attempted) character development/interaction of said "main" cast almost exclusively, plus we got some big revelation about Chiaya (even if it was somewhat expected by this point) all in one episode. The substance is not there though and it feels utterly rushed at this point like the creators suddenly realized they had to do something with the "main" cast before the show is over. It's too abrupt and missing any kind of buildup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrmuk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
episode was awesome, like every episode. And the show is going the way it should: the last episodes focussing on the characters and thus, concluding everything.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
k-on with better secondary characters.

Quote:
I would have liked to be watching the show this episode assumed Rolling Girls is

now that's a sick burn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3