• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
Suzy`s scene really couldn`t be any earlier. The whole focus of that rather random sequence is to remind the audience that Holly is nearly dead. They need it to be as close to the deadline as possible, and better here than in the middle of the fight with Dio.

While much of this episode was rather slow, The dangers for Polnareff are still there. He`s still badly beaten from Vanilla Ice, and the end of their fight lets him look as strong as he can. I would think since regeneration takes some time, skewering the brain would be explainable as part of why Ice makes such simple mistakes.

Small gripe with the review, the image of Abdul and Iggy is made of sand not the clouds. Felt like an odd misnomer to me. Otherwise I agree with most of what was said and the grade. Even though this episode changed the mood for a bit, it really didn`t make the show boring.

http://jisho.org/search?utf8=✓&keyword=nukesaku
Jisho.org [Denshi Jisho (electronic dictionary)] suggests fool or blockhead. I would think blockhead is probably the correct interpretation, since having a face on both sides makes his head more square. Denshi Jisho is definitely a suggestion for a good Japanese-English reference dictionary website.

EDIT: readded link. thanks Jesu Otaku.

Last edited by Nyaomix on Sun May 24, 2015 4:00 am; edited 3 times in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:

EDIT: removed website for dictionary since I`m unaware of the rules on website posting.

So long as it's not an illegal or explicit website, posting links is A-OK.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:25 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Quote:
Dear God that was brutal, Vanilla Ice is both a bad singer and cruel to animals.

In moments like these I wonder what if someone is googling the real-life person and read these messages out of context Laughing

That would be rather amusing to see, it may even reach Vanilla Ice. I would love to see some of the peoples reactions to the characters who have their names.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
That would be rather amusing to see, it may even reach Vanilla Ice. I would love to see some of the peoples reactions to the characters who have their names.

I'd rather not be quoted on this, but I've heard that Vanilla Ice in particular was already aware of his name being used (by either the OVA or the game back in the day) and was completely okay with it. His record company had a different opinion however.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, while I was reading the manga, I didn't know what Dio's power was until I reached this very same part, and even then, even though I could kinda assume it could spoiler[stop time] (for the sake of those who really don't know), the specifics of his power still intrigued me.

But yeah, this is the 2nd instalment of Hirohiko Araki's "let's make the main villains OP as hell!" series. And that's one thing I like about Jojo: you really can't see just HOW they can beat the main villains because of how powerful they are (except maybe Part 1).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Man, this fight could last awhile. Even the OVA finale was two-episode roller coaster and I dare not think what they'll do with the time they have left. To me the final battle in the OVA was one of the most memorable fights I've ever seen not just in anime but any medium. This adaptation has its work cut out for it in trying to match that.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
When I read the manga I went in spoiler-free, completely, I didn't even know the ZA WARUDO meme, I barely even knew the "ORAORAORA" and "It was I, Dio!" thing so honestly I didn't know The World's power and I actually didn't until halfway through Dio's World when it becomes more obvious although you have to admit if you were in their situation you wouldn't actually know what the heck is going on. I've seen people who only watch anime that don't know what is Dio doing.

IMO this episode was excellent in terms of adapting the manga. When the Crusaders show to back up Polnareff they even kept the stupid way he leaves from the manga. The suffering of the group learning of Avdol and Iggy's deaths. Dio royally walking, knowing he's got the upper hand is just awesome, too.

Plus I loved how they portrayed the first fight between Kakyoin and Dio, it might be because is one of my favorite fights, but the portrayal of The World is just great.

Compared to the OVAs, of course it's way less dynamic, the manga has the very same dynamic, but I prefer it much more. The OVAs were very nicely animated and all, but not what I expected from an adaptation of the manga, honestly.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
I wasnt' very fond of this episode, much like the previous one. Not only that this episode isn't showing that much craziness as we were expecting from Lord Dio (he wasn't screwing with the senator in a super fun way: I'll have to watch the OVAs to see how he does it here), which I'm kind of disappointed he doesn't show up more his greatness as before.

But also, this episode feels compressed, quick and not very tightly edited. The music will try to add momentum, but it doesn't feel it matches the editing of the scenes, it feels a little like this recent Durarara season where the music was just pasted and the scenes didn't try to adapt to its rythm, highs and lows. And all the other fights, even the unnecessary slow ones (Terrence D'Arby, Alessi, Hol Horse and Boingo) at least got that right. With this pacing I'm afraid all the rest of the fight suffers because of it and I wish they'd cut one of the episodes of one out of those three to pace this better if timeline constraints is their problem.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote

David in charge of protecting DIO's chin.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
I have only watched the new anime series as from 2012 from JOJO yet and i had no idea what the world was really about so it's possible after all Wink
But it's awesome though
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying this version of the Dio fight plenty. Is better for newer viewers to get that elongated mystery. Yeah Dio could`ve been more haughty with the Senator.

My problem is I`m too excited for Diamond is Unbreakable, since the rest of this season is previously animated story.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ep 22 is way more messed up that any scene in ep 21 thus i get none of the censorship hoopla. You all should read modern DC books as Omega Men that just imitated an ISIS beheading.
Ripped form the headlines eh? http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/06/how-lantern-kyle-rayner-is-murdered-by-the-omega-men/
The first part of the JoJo OVA that adapts the Egypt arc is kind of interesting but the later produced episodes could be better and the car chase is in the American episode 12 if you want to see the 15 seconds we missed. The scene never stood out to me when i read the manga 10 years ago. Shrug. I actually enjoy JoJo a bit more in the animated form due to the flamboyant nature so i whish that a wonder would happen and that we will reach Steel Ball run somehow.
It has a half dinosaur Diego Brando riding on a Velociraptor Cool. Best JoJo run ever and that was when the manga was forced to go seinen too so it became bit more complex.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
........ you know, when you don't even comment about spoiler[Joseph and what he suffered already calms me down to think that he's alive, because he suffering and thinking he was dead was my biggest trauma in this episode (Kakyoin's is fine, but sorry bro, it was too quick),. I guess it's cool since they didn't put the "is dead" tag and Dio probably will drink his blood so not yet, but not even mentioning is sort of like calming... unless it's just delaying the inevitable and in the next one he will have a much dramatic death D_: ]

Fun episode and much more crazy than the last one. Dio still hasn't achieved the magnitude performance of the first part when he was bollocks to the wall, but he's still intimidating. I hope though his battle against Jotaro can be exciting and fun, with such power there's the risk of becoming too static, let's' hope not since there's only two episodes. We've waited too much time for this final battle, so show us what you got all mighty Dio!
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
My problem is I`m too excited for Diamond is Unbreakable, since the rest of this season is previously animated story.

Same here. I'm enjoying Stardust Crusaders quite a lot, but I just can't wait to see one of my two favorite JoJo parts animated (Part 7 is sadly too far away).
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
........ you know, when you don't even comment about spoiler[Joseph and what he suffered already calms me down to think that he's alive, because he suffering and thinking he was dead was my biggest trauma in this episode (Kakyoin's is fine, but sorry bro, it was too quick),. I guess it's cool since they didn't put the "is dead" tag and Dio probably will drink his blood so not yet, but not even mentioning is sort of like calming... unless it's just delaying the inevitable and in the next one he will have a much dramatic death D_: ]

This. However, praise almighty Joseph-wits-sama and his ingenious use of Hamon as body armor. Hamon Kevlar = best Kevlar. At least against vampire zombies. Now if only there were some sort of magical Kevlar against DAT CHARISMA.

Dio gets all the best poses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11