• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Trips to the Anime Underworld

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The Shinigami underworld in Death Note is also of note.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
1thought wrote:

My vote goes for.

1.Aura Battler Dunbine -the last volumes disappeared ASAP never got a full collection release,thinpack etc.. like everything else ADV put out.

Ah, forgot about this series. Still only own 10/12 volumes. Probably never own the last two without it costing an arm and a leg (if I'm lucky) Crying or Very sad
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The Shinigami underworld in Death Note is also of note.

Also, Washuu's somewhat too dimensionally-realistic "Trip through Hell" festival haunted house in Tenchi Universe. Shocked
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
@EricJ2
Since my point was that AnimEigo did a better job with the longer Yrusei Yatsura than Viz did with Maison Ikkoku, you are apparently agreeing with me.

My only complaint about the AnimEigo Yursei Yatsura is the amount of shelf space it took up. I mostly cured that by replacing the DVD cases with thin pack cases. I made my own cover inserts with the cover art from the LD issue. The absence of a dub doesn't bother me though I can see where it would others. A Bluray version would be nice though.

It never occurred to me to compare the anime and manga versions of Urusei Yatsura/Lum as they are different forms. If I like a series in one format, I usually try to obtain the other if available legally in English. In any case, Viz was well into their second try at Lum before the anime was available. I doubt if the presence of the anime had any thing to do with the discontinuance of the manga.
1thought

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I thought of a few others.

SPT Layzner and Giant Gorg.

Licensed but never even released.
Supposedly Bandai Ent got bad looking masters so didn't even bother.

Since then Japan has gotten quality video releases on DVD.
SPT Layzner even has a Blu Ray release as well.

Also Votoms if all the OVAs come too.

Last edited by 1thought on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
1thought

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
1thought wrote:

My vote goes for.

1.Aura Battler Dunbine -the last volumes disappeared ASAP never got a full collection release,thinpack etc.. like everything else ADV put out.

Ah, forgot about this series. Still only own 10/12 volumes. Probably never own the last two without it costing an arm and a leg (if I'm lucky) Crying or Very sad

I'm hoping in Nozomi/Rightstuf since they got other old ADV stuff.

Or Discotek will give this another chance it's got a English Dub too so it's got more selling potential.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
A supposedly definitive list and 43 posts and not one mention of Hell Girl?

Hell Girl is number 7 on The List, or are you referring to license rescues?

Also I've edited out the licensed show from the options that were added by users.

For future reference, as it was mentioned up thread. A license rescue refers to a show previously licensed by was either not released in its entirety, released at all by the company, or out of print. Shows that have never been licensed are not what I had in mind for the poll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling many posters would benefit from importing from other English-language territories. Of series mentioned, I know of at least Gosick, Higurashi, Monster, Nichijou, Kaiba, Dennou Coil and Paranoia Agent being available. A fair few of those are only available on DVD though produced in digital HD, though.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
I'm aware that import's an option for many of those titles, but having to deal with both international shipping and different DVD regions makes that something of a tricky proposition in the best case. I've toyed with doing it for Kaiba and Dennou Coil at least, but it's a hurdle I've never really felt like crossing.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Maybe also Magic Knight Rayearth, if Media Blasters no longer has the license?

Discotek actually announced it for a blu ray release last year Smile
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
Well,I've gotta admit. Those are some pretty interesting views of Hades. I'm not sure anyone would be able to top old Dante but the views of the anime guys certainly come close.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
Based on the Nine Circles of Hell in Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, Dante's Inferno:

invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Looking through the just-released The Anime Encyclopedia reminds me that Robot Carnival is infamous by its unavailability. I think I'm going to write that one in.

EDIT: Another thought… following Lynzee's "not released at all" rule, I wonder if we can include Nagi no Asukara, which was licensed by NIS America in 2013 and of which we have heard nothing since.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Looking through the just-released The Anime Encyclopedia reminds me that Robot Carnival is infamous by its unavailability. I think I'm going to write that one in.

EDIT: Another thought… following Lynzee's "not released at all" rule, I wonder if we can include Nagi no Asukara, which was licensed by NIS America in 2013 and of which we have heard nothing since.

Robot Carnival was recently licensed by Discotek.

I'm waiting for Nagi no Asukara, but assuredly they'll put it out eventually, so as not to waste the money they paid for the license.

Nagi no Asukara is at least licensed. I've given up waiting for Hyouka.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm aware that import's an option for many of those titles, but having to deal with both international shipping and different DVD regions makes that something of a tricky proposition in the best case. I've toyed with doing it for Kaiba and Dennou Coil at least, but it's a hurdle I've never really felt like crossing.

Blu-ray is a bit trickier to deal with than DVD, since there actually is a "region-free" DVD region, but I've never found them particularly difficult to work around. Up to you, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7