• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
free2slap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Here's what i felt watching episode 10,

The similarity these three seem to have is really running deep. Though i'm still not sure about Jeremiah(spoiler[Since we don't know if he's really dead or not of what happened]) but he definitely gave me that feeling when "he said that he wanted his pride back" and how he consciously gets offensive everytime he sees or hears about Lelouch.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I just marathoned 10 episodes after my friend told me how good it was, and I'm loving it. It just never gets boring; stuff always happens that I would never expect and I just love hearing "OMG! WHO THE HELL ARE THE BLACK KNIGHTS!?!?!?!?!?!??", especially spoiler[from Cornellia's crew in Ep 10]. Looks like a lot will happen next episode, hopefully spoiler[Cornelia gets defeated by then so I won't have to wait another week] after that. Cool

The "official" names I don't really like though. "Kallen" sounds like some royal knight in some...royal knight anime, and turns out "Millay" is "Milly", which instantly reminds me of the ditz in Trigun (and I don't like Milly from Trigun at all).

I'm really looking forward to when spoiler[Karen actually finds out that Lelouche is Zero. Hopefully it will happen, and soon!]

[EDIT] Just for kicks, I'll buy an orange juice the next time I go to Pizza Hut. Then I can have a very Code Geass meal. Cool

[EDIT2] Btw, does anyone see any resemblence between Code Geass and Death Note? I don't see much similarity besides the fact that both Light and Lelouche posess a certain power and want to change the world with it, but my friend insists that they're very alike. It rubbed me off the wrong way when I continued on with this series after Episode 1. I thought Lelouch would be the neo-Light, but I think he's a much more decent guy (at least he cares about his comrades and friends, Light just pretends to).
sykosteve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's so much their power and goals being similar but their deep intellect and manipulative ways.

I mean spoiler[Lelouch taking control over an entire rebel faction without using his powers somewhat reminded me of the way Light and L would go back and forth with each other...]but that's just me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Now that I've taken the time to look at the blog, that is frickin' cool Very Happy Did Pizza Hut like pay to get their logo into this anime or something like that?

Pizza Hut would file lawsuit if their logo was used without authorization. Therefore, more likely, they paid for the advertisement.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
They've shown a clearly branded biglobe website a couple of times now as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11 was awesome!

First off, spoiler[it looks like the battle came to a stalemate of sorts. Not exactly the best situation for Lelouche, but it seems like Cornelia is finally able to swallow her pride and admit that she'd been had. I would rather have seen the Black Knights win, Cornelia captured, and a party back at Zero's hideout, but that'd be altogether too predictable I guess, and not everything always goes perfectly.]

Second, spoiler[Lancelot vs. Guren! Too bad Guren lost, but the fight was really cool, as no other Knightmare had ever matched up to Lancelot like that before. Suzaku also acknowledged the Guren's strength, which made me happy.]

Third, spoiler[CC finally opened up and started showing weaknesses/some affection of sorts for Lelouche. Apparently we find out her real name, I can't read lips so I don't know what Lelouche said, but I'm sure someone somewhere has figured it out. Also, Suzaku meets CC and Karen meets CC, and Lelouche actually thanks her!]

Last, and most importantly, spoiler[Orange-kun is alive!!!]

Thoughts:

- After spoiler[CC's mind games, Suzaku will either become (a) unstable (switching from his normal persona to some evil crazy persona), (b) all-out insane. Either way, after CC's mind torture (which reminds me a lot of what happened in E7 with Eureka and Anemone), (c) Will change his mind about Britannia and join the Black Nights, (d) any combination of the above. I doubt Suzaku will be the same old Suzaku again. Which is good and bad; good because I hated Suzaku's cliche hero noble "let's save everyone!!!!!!" attitude and this might make him a much more interesting character, and bad because it is likely at this point that he will obtain the Geass, and I REALLY don't want him to (Lelouche should be the only one with it). Anyway, bringing Euphie into this, a lot of things might happen.]

- On CC's past, spoiler[there will probably be piles of flashback about her soon. Judging from what Lelouche said about her in this episode, she's probably not an artificial human, but a normal human utilized as some top secret experiment by a small faction of the Britannian government whom has very little idea of what she is fully capable of. I'm not too excited about any sort of flashback, but judging by the way Code Geass is going right now, it definitely won't be painful to sit through. By the way, in 8.5, what the hell is CC doing there with little Suzaku and little Lelouche? (Maybe in Ep 1 too, too lazy to check).]

Oh, I can't wait for the next episode.
free2slap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Tsk... Episode 11 was a letdown

spoiler[i did appreciate that Lelouch didn't succeed on his plan because if he did that would be ridiculously too simple and predictable, however how the battle unfolded actually mark the disappointment. I would have rather enjoyed if the other soldiers of britannia had saved cornelia, instead of having another supposedly "cool moments" of suzaku coming to ruin things again. That guy really annoy me with his intentions of wanting to save everybody, and he dare to say that Lelouch actions are wrong. Shit, that fool is siding with the actual people that are relentlessly killing everybody, how does that really define his purpose thus far!. And it seemed that he wouldn't have minded either to kill Zero if however C.C didin't come in, the same guy that saved him when he was accused to have killed cornelius.]
But watching this episode definitely awarded him to hit my list of being one of my most hated character in anime and a special award since it only took me 10 episodes to acknowledgedly hate him(something that never happened).

spoiler[On a different subject, i think i'm already starting to grasp where C.C. is coming from since somethings are gradually taking shape of being similar to the serie of the "Gundams". But To be short, she is probably an aftermath of a lab experience and i'm afraid that we might have to encounter another C.C later on in the story. In the end of this episode, Those scientists were carrying something that looked the same when we first met C.C in. I also believe that it was no coincidence that Orange-kun ended up in front of those scientists. It might eventually come to a situation where i see it's possible that Orange-kun will may have powers like Lelouch or something else just to make it more Original.]

Anyway i'm really looking forward for the next episode and hoping for a little less to see from suzaku because he is really starting to put things on bad terms for me.
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
My thoughts on C.C are a little different. spoiler[I think she's some kind of immortal/magical human that Britannia just happened to find/awaken or something. I mean, the flashbacks in her mind showed what looked like medieval Europe, and whenever she uses her powers it shows flashes of cultists in robes and stuff. And she says something about Ragnarok. No, I have a feeling when we find out her real name, it's going to be someone famous from mythology or history or something. Its giving me Fate/Stay Night vibes in that one respect.] I guess we'll have to see!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I've heard speculation that C.C. is spoiler[Cu Culhuain, or however you spell it]. Whatever she is, she certainly isn't the only one of her kind. The next episode looks like it will spoiler[formally introduce that black haired girl with the "V" on her forehead who has appeard in the opening animation and even showed up briefly in an earlier episode]
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
Got around to seeing episode 10 and 11 which I thought were both awsome. I will just comment on episode 11 though which I loved since you got some insight on spoiler[CC (which I thought might be related to Chujo-Hime maybe, I don't know) I thought that she was useing some kind of technology to regenerate like nano machines and the geass was also nano machines at work but judging by CC flash backs it looks like the people are stoneing a church so I thought with the nun and all Chujo-Hime. Wink Anyways it looks like CC is finally acting nicer though I kinda liked her bitchy attitude Razz It also looks like lelouch is getting closer and closer to her and Kallen doesn't look to happy about that...course I may be mistaken.
]
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
I just finished episode 11 and I have to say I'm loving this series more and more with every episode. Between Code Geass and Death Note, we can say that afficionados of highbrow anime are well-served this season. The manipulation and battles of wits going on are a welcome break from the usual dumb-as-a-rock shounen heroes. Seriously, I can hardly remember the last time that a show displayed some genuine strategy rather than repeated frontal attacks carried out through sheer force of will.

Another great point, at least for me, is that this is an anarchist's wet dream. Here you have a lone rebel, angry but idealistic, fighting against an evil empire and its abuse of power. More than that, it's a fight between two entire worldviews; the emperor of Britannia believes that might makes right (authoritarism), and Lelouch believes that no one has the right to dictate other people's fate (anarchism). I associate 100% with those values; it's been a looong time since I associated that much with a main character. And he even has the strength to fight the whole empire by himself!

And to crown it all it's not just Lelouch but EVERY character who is interesting. Many of them could carry a show by themselves. I think even the goody-two-shoes Suzaku is interesting because while both him and Lelouch are fundamentally "good" characters, Lelouch is chaotic-good to the extreme and Suzaku is lawful-good to the extreme. I can't help but admire Suzaku for the strength and purity of his convictions and at the same time feel that he is naive to the point of obliviousness.

Finally, the animation is like the cherry on the cake. The CLAMP character designs are gorgeous (as always) and that mecha duel in episode 11 was utterly drool-worthy. Plot, characters, animation, theme... they're all perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
free2slap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
-Episode 12-

spoiler[So far this is the best scenario yet that has happened in this anime, it falls that Lelouch killed shirley's father. Her father probably was just a civilian rather one of the britannia soldiers since shirley said and from the way she expressed it that her father was a kind person or whatsoever. Although this still doesn't draw zero as the one to hold responsible. The britannian started the attack and they totally disregarded that there was a town near to the battlefield, probably since they were in japanase ground. At least i believe this matter will hold as an accuse for Suzaku to fully hate zero.]

spoiler[Suzaku said "all those sacrifices, how is that justice", his comments always look one-sided, from his standpoint it is ok if the britannian are killing but the contrary if they are Elevens or japanase since he's always mouth-bitching everytime one britannian is dead. Besides Zero didn't even make that big of an impact, he only was chasing after cornelia. If people were to blame, it would primarily be the britannian and then the japanese.]

Shirley is also one unique character, i really do like her and probably even more than Kallen, spoiler[Funny that she took her father incident to get close to lelouch. I also predict a love triangle, kallen, C.C and Shirley. Lelouch you lucky bastard Wink]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Wasn't nearly as fast-paced as the previous few episodes, but was still pretty enjoyable in many respects. A few parts were less than interesting, but things still do happen and the way it's set up, the next episode or few episodes will probably get pretty exciting pretty fast.

- spoiler[ Zero finally shows his face to at least someone! He's gained the trust of Kyoto, which is good for him. Too bad no one else got to see his face, and Karen seems to have stopped caring, but I think living a dual life may be better for him at this point, especially after what happened at the end of the episode. I still wonder why Lelouch refuses to reveal his identity to his own crew. I was thinking either because he doesn't want Karen to know he's Lelouche for whatever reason, or he doesn't want them to know that he's half (which probably isn't the case because now they know anyway and he doesn't seem to care). What would be the big deal in Karen finding out he's Lelouche anyway? She'd be the last person to spill the beans to everyone.]

- spoiler[ Who is Rakshata? The way they mentioned her almost made me think that she was CC, but now that seems pretty ridiculous. Is she the developer of the MK II Guren, maybe?]

- spoiler[Two characters being "foreshadowed" here. First is that white haired guy staring down at Shirley and Lulu when they were at the school and Shirley invites Lulu somewhere (although we may have seen him before and I just forgot). Second is that black haired girl who has been declared having an "infatuation" to Zero after he rescued Suzaku.]

- spoiler[ Of course, the impact at the end, in which Zero killed Shirley's dad and Shirley seeks solace in the arms and lips of Lelouch, who of course ironically is Zero himself. Question is, was he a soldier or civilian? I'm guessing soldier because from the looks of it, Zero really hasn't killed any civilians, and that avalanche, if it killed anyone besides Cornelia's crew, was declared a natural disaster. Also: Official proof now that Lulu cares about his friends and isn't like Light! If it were Light there's no way he'd make that kind of expression, in fact he'd probably have a grin on his face.]

And people from other places keep saying spoiler["Uh oh, Zero, watch out, Suzaku is coming to get you! He REALLY hates you now!" but I don't understand why. Maybe I missed something, and the only reason I can think of is Shirley's father, but if he was a soldier, it's pretty much not that big of a deal anyway since it's what Zero has been doing all along, only it's brought down more personal now.]

Last edited by frentymon on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 spoiler[was really awsome...I agree their might be a love triangle between the four of them. Rakshata might be a connection Lulu has in the Britannian empire, she looks like the treacherous type and it seems Lloyd knows her, so this might be another rivalry who is the smartest and can build the best machine. Wink So Shirley's father died...this isn't going to help Zero's image as far as Cornelia and Shirley are concerned but like what was said it wasn't really his fault especially if he was a soldier I mean it was Zero or her father and it was the Britannian empire who attacked first. And whats this it seems Lulu already knows the Kyoto leaders though he didn't get to meet all of them. I wonder what part the little girl who was apart of the Kyoto counsil will play. I don't know about everyone else but I can't wait to see C.C. jealous and fight over Lulu if she has to. Though he might just end up with Kallen...it really is hard to tell which was this show goes but I try to use the Gundam series as refrence to perdict what happens but this show manages to still catch me off guard. I wonder how many episodes there is...if it is like the Gundam series probably about 50 episodes.]

Judging by the next episode spoiler[what Shirley said really effected him I mean he might even go after Kirihara to be able to go back to being the old Lulu. It seems he has begun to reflect on his past actions and is deciding if what he has done ]til now was right...I smell an inspirational story coming Lulu's way...don't you. Very Happy

Last edited by omar235 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
God people, now I have another anime to add to my "watch" list (one that was already very long). With people actually comparing this to the greatness of Death Note, I need to see this now. I knew I shouldn't have trusted the Preview Guide...

I have to ask if this anime is mainly comedy or something else though. I would think it is based on the comments I read, but I also assumed that about NHK, but didn't get more than a single "lol" out of the show...

Ya, I know there are genres listed in the encyclopedia, but I've never really trusted them. I'm more often reporting errors on them than actually using them for advice about a show...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 30