• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo's Central Hallway Closed Due to Unknown 'Object'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gothung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
Different stories, and not everyone on the AX team (staff, volunteers, etc) were on the same page at the time, so there were rumors and confusion about what was going on, even long after the "incident" was resolved.

I, personally, was also in the Sawashiro line when they made the announcement over the PA system. They mentioned that a package was found unattended at the Cafeteria area in south hall, and asked that if this was someone's package, to return and claim it.

Roughly translated: "We think this might be a possible bomb scare, but we don't want to cause a panic riot where people may get hurt evacuating, so if you're the dummy that left this object here, come with an explanation to the police."

Apparently the PA broadcast was only inside the exhibit hall/south hall, as I had friends over in Petree Hall (Power Rangers panel, opposite side of can) and they hadn't heard a thing.

On Day 4, we stopped by the AX Con Feedback panel with the CEO, and he confirmed roughly the same thing. He had been in the Nokia Theatre prepping for Mikunopolis when he got a call from staff telling him that there was a large group of LA police onsite. When he got over to the South Hall, the LAPD essentially took over and gave the directions to clear the area WITHOUT inciting a panic riot. They started with a 100 foot perimeter, and once established, pushed to 200 ft, then 450 ft around the object.

It's a shame communication couldn't have been clearer between con staff and attendees, but there was an obvious need for discretion, and I think the situation was handled and turned out as best as it likely could have been.

And I hate to admit it and don't want to give any internet idiots any ideas, but logically, AX is actually a prime target. Lots of people, fairly relaxed security (considering they try to keep in mind cosplay props and luggage), and will result in a LOT of media coverage across at least two countries (esp. if they involve one of our Japanese guests of honor). Just hope that nothing that horrible (or stupid) will ever occur.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
gothung wrote:
fairly relaxed security (considering they try to keep in mind cosplay props and luggage),

Their peacebonding rules and weapons policy is a joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3