• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Series Producer Baba Apologizes For Fans' Unease

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sifixs

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
Hey, whatever they do with Rose and Sorey can't be worse than how they treated Milla in Xillia 2 spoiler[(Creating a Milla with a tsundere gimmick so they could kill her off without killing her off, reneging on Maxwell being the top Spirit because that makes sense, trapping her for most of the game)]

That no the point, in Xillia 2 the protagonists always were Elle and Ludger. Milla, jJde and the other were side characters all the time.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Sifixs wrote:

That no the point, in Xillia 2 the protagonists always were Elle and Ludger. Milla, jJde and the other were side characters all the time.

But from reading the Zestiria bad news, at least the returning Xillia cast were still effectively there same characters.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing when "Batman" becomes a supporting character in a work as long as Batman isn't suddenly shifted into a different personality.

If the Zestiria spoiler reviews are even partially correct the latest release is going to ruin Tales reputation in the west once it is released.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Sifixs wrote:
Ultimatum wrote:
Hey, whatever they do with Rose and Sorey can't be worse than how they treated Milla in Xillia 2 spoiler[(Creating a Milla with a tsundere gimmick so they could kill her off without killing her off, reneging on Maxwell being the top Spirit because that makes sense, trapping her for most of the game)]

Yeah, but Milla was Xillia's protagonist, and that's no way to treat a protagonist in a sequel.
Sifixs

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yes, but she is not the protagonist Xillia 2, so there is nothing wrong with Milla
KH91

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
He's apologizing for the fact that the story took a twist that wasn't revealed in the promotional materials. Appears that more fans took it as sort of a Metal Gear Solid 2 move than a Final Fantasy VII move.

Gamers who played Kingdom Hearts 2 can relate a bit. lol
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Wait, you mean this was still on the topic of Alicia and Rose and not an apology for the stupid amounts of terrible DLC (costumes, mystic artes, etc.) that was released for the game?

Wow, I sure had my ideas wrong there. Very Happy
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, if creators start apologizing for taking their stories in whatever direction they want, I fear for the future of creativity.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Baba doesn't need to apologize. It's the idiots who keep bitching about the same old thing who should apologize, for being so damn hung up and stupid about it. This is why I'm glad I don't associate myself with the other thickheaded so-called fans of game series. I have to iterate this again:

Tales has always been about taking the standard RPG conventions of character and story and flipping them in a 180. You're not supposed to expect what you see or are led to believe from the first few hours into the game or what's written in character bios. If these "fans" call themselves longtime fans of the series, then they should have already come to this realization a very long time ago (I'm talking PS1 Tales of Destiny). Why would anyone want the story to be as straightforward as possible? Especially since people moan and complain that RPGs always do the same old thing with their plot and cast members. And as stated previously, have these whiners never played an RPG from the late 80s throughout the 90s at all? Some games fully assemble the cast right at the start while others shift the numbers around, often dropping specific allies when their time in the story is up (they die, they leave for their own reasons, et cetera). I have to ask: is Alisha leaving the party permanently really that much of a deal breaker for these yutzes?

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue May 05, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Baba doesn't need to apologize. It's the idiots who keep bitching about the same old thing who should apologize, for being so damn hung up and stupid about it. This is why I'm glad I don't associate myself with the other thickheaded so-called fans of game series. I have to iterate this again:

Tales has always been about taking the standard RPG conventions of character and story and flipping them in a 180. You're not supposed to expect what you see or are led to believe from the first few hours into the game or what's written in character bios. If these "fans" call themselves longtime fans of the series, then they should have already come to this realization a very long time ago (I'm talking PS1 Tales of Destiny). Why anyone would want the story to be as straightforward as possible? Especially since people moan and complain that RPGs always do the same old thing with their plot and cast members. And as stated previously, have these whiners never played an RPG from the late 80s throughout the 90s at all? Some games fully assemble the cast right at the start while others shift the numbers around, often dropping specific allies when their time in the story is up (they die, they leave for their own reasons, et cetera). I have to ask: is Alisha leaving the party permanently really that much of a deal breaker for these yutzes?
Guess Alisha was best girl for one too many people. girls > plot
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Guess Alisha was best girl for one too many people. girls > plot

Yeah, but it's sad how they think that way. Even if it's a character you really like and had a lot of impact, just because they leave the party doesn't automatically make the entire rest of the game bad. Lots of cool and likable characters in fictional media depart from the story (or get killed off) and while it might suck a little to lose them, it doesn't mean you should let it stop you from enjoying the rest of the book/show/movie/game in particular, right?
Soledit10

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Tales has always been about taking the standard RPG conventions of character and story and flipping them in a 180. You're not supposed to expect what you see or are led to believe from the first few hours into the game or what's written in character bios. If these "fans" call themselves longtime fans of the series, then they should have already come to this realization a very long time ago (I'm talking PS1 Tales of Destiny). Why would anyone want the story to be as straightforward as possible? Especially since people moan and complain that RPGs always do the same old thing with their plot and cast members. And as stated previously, have these whiners never played an RPG from the late 80s throughout the 90s at all? Some games fully assemble the cast right at the start while others shift the numbers around, often dropping specific allies when their time in the story is up (they die, they leave for their own reasons, et cetera). I have to ask: is Alisha leaving the party permanently really that much of a deal breaker for these yutzes?

You're wrong. The issue with the fanbase backlash is the false marketing done for Zestiria. This is a very serious issue to many fans and Baba needs to do more than just apologizing.

- When the game was first announced, it introduces two characters Sorey and Alisha.
- First trailer contains just the both of them, and early coverage in some magazines have Sorey and Alisha on the main cover.
- There are also many other advertisements that feature just the both of them.
*Later on they explained that they are revealing characters based on order of appearance, but that is evidently a stupid lie when you play the game.

- Few months before the game is released, it is announced that Sorey and Alisha is going to have their own 1/8 figurine. If I'm not wrong, Alisha's was announced earlier than Sorey, the main character.
*The only non main hero/heroine Tales figurines are Rita, Raven, Flynn, Zelos. And these are released after their games.

- In the game trailers, Kayano's (Alisha's seiyuu) name is placed second in the cast credits, right after Kimura's (Sorey). Komatsu's (Rose) is credited last among the main cast.

- Pre-order bonus of Zestiria includes a rubber strap of Alisha and her DLC Mystic Arte. Other characters that got a rubber strap and DLC Mystic Arte are also very important in the game.
- Alisha also has her own DLC costumes

Just by looking at these, even those who has never heard of the Tales of Series will assume that she is the main heroine of this game.

But when it turns out that spoiler[she is a temporary playable member with little screen time who has absolutely no contribution to the game's plot. And how they replace Rose with her, even being able to wear her costumes]. Plus when the fans have started to realize the false advertising, they announced a 1300 yen DLC episode for her. Just a few days after the release date.

This marketing stunt infuriates a huge population of the Japanese fanbase. There are those who doesn't care how Alisha is treated in-game, but is just as unhappy on how she is advertised. Making the DLC episode free for 2 weeks and informing the fanbase that Zestiria has no official heroine, after the game's release, just aggravates the situation. Since it is obvious that Namco/Baba just refused to be truthful. They should never be forgiven for this stunt.

If this "talking about this matter on a separate occasion" turns out to be an apology bundled with a new Zestiria announcement......
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Xillia 2 exists and that got tore apart despite having one of the best stories in the entire franchise in addition to having a silent protagonist (until New Game Plus) as the lead.

I seriously hate how much hate Xillia 2 has. It ended up being one of my favorites of the whole franchise. First game to make me sob during the normal ending. Sad
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
3 Pages debating continuity in a game I've never heard of. I think Baba Ho-Tep should have apologized for thinking this was something to apologize for.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Soledit10 wrote:
They should never be forgiven for this stunt.

Don't you think that's a bit extreme? It's not like this caused the ultimate downfall of Tales and the studio has to stop making new entries in the series.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Soledit10 wrote:
They should never be forgiven for this stunt.

Don't you think that's a bit extreme? It's not like this caused the ultimate downfall of Tales and the studio has to stop making new entries in the series.

It depends, if the company and staff actually learns from there errors, then yeah forgiveness can be earned with better releases, but trends show companies will go through SEVERAL failed incarnations until they actually try to "fix up the house".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3