• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaos Dragon: SekiryuSen'eki (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 mostly succeeded in making me look forward to episode 6. Lou and Swallow have been kind of boring characters to me mostly because it's felt like they have yet to be challenged or take on any sort of actual risk. Hopefully these Returned Ones pose a real challenge and aren't just rendered helpless by Lou's charm-sword.

Also, is Lou aware of the clause of Ibuki's power that it needs to be a friend? I can't help but think she's so friendly to Ibuki to avoid the power being turned on her in the mistaken belief that Ibuki would be more likely to sacrifice someone he doesn't value when he cannot even do that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

I'm still watching the show but not feeling for it much now.

I mean, it's obvious as hell that Lou can't be trusted especially with what she has been secretly doing. I have a feeling that it will be a matter of time before Ibuki and the others realize it.

And according to this episode, Returned Ones cannot be returned back to normal. I wonder if they will find a way....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
So the general only got a reprieve for one episode before being crossed out. Since the Red Dragon has lost his sanity, there can be no control over the Returned and the only way to stop them is by force.

However it seems certain powerful beings do retain some vestiges of sanity before the base instincts of the Returned take over so the golem's master might well be open to negotiations. That is before Lou takes out the golem's master and the dragon's claw with that blade of hers...
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
The contortions this show is willing to go through in order to prevent (or at least delay) major events is infuriatingly impressive. It's the first show I can genuinely describe as aggressively boring. I think it's time I gave this one up - I can't be getting this angry at my TV every week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Am I supposed to know what the numbers in the OP mean?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Am I supposed to know what the numbers in the OP mean?

In the opening animation or the episode titles? If it's the latter, it's the episode number. All of the episode titles factor in the same number as the week's show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
No, in the OP animation. For example, when Ibuki is shown in maroon colors with a white background and yellow stripes 46, 19, 25, 68 and 00 appear briefly, followed by a flash of kana and the English word "unlucky." For Lou it's 04, 09, 13, 44, 99, and 33, with "effectable" (sic), and for Sweallow it's 03, 48, 99, and 05, with "critical." At the end of it all red numbers zip by like a random number generator. I would imagine they're dice rolls if they didn't go above 20. Then again, 20's an arbitrary limit, so... Or character attributes or something like that, but then why don't they have the same number of attributes?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No, in the OP animation. For example, when Ibuki is shown in maroon colors with a white background and yellow stripes 46, 19, 25, 68 and 00 appear briefly, followed by a flash of kana and the English word "unlucky." For Lou it's 04, 09, 13, 44, 99, and 33, with "effectable" (sic), and for Sweallow it's 03, 48, 99, and 05, with "critical." At the end of it all red numbers zip by like a random number generator. I would imagine they're dice rolls if they didn't go above 20. Then again, 20's an arbitrary limit, so... Or character attributes or something like that, but then why don't they have the same number of attributes?

Rewatched the OP.

Ibuki's scarf and body block the characters, but it's probably 自動失敗: automatic failure. Hence his unlucky attribute.

Lou Chenfa's characters are also blocked, but I can make out 効果的成功 with the second character obscured. Since it was a table-top game, no surprise Lou Chenfa's rolls are "effectively successful".

Swarov's characters aren't blocked, but his rolls are for critical hits. 決定的成功: 100% success.

Table-top games aren't limited to 20 dice rolls, since dice with values ranging from 1-100 do exist. Chaos Dragon likely used the 100 dice for the role-playing, hence the different range of numbers. My guess at the different roll results would be the number of enemies each character had to roll against or the number of attacks they were allowed per round (the three characters I saw had 5 rolls each).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
As far as I could see, they had 5, 6, and 4 numbers. What numbers did I miss for Sweallow?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
As far as I could see, they had 5, 6, and 4 numbers. What numbers did I miss for Sweallow?

Watched again, 5 numbers for Ibuki, 6 for Lou Chenfa and 4 for Suwarov. Doesn't change the fact they could be rolls for the number of enemies they faced or the same number of rolls for the number of attacks allowed per combat round.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
It's kind of a completely pointless power if it requires you to sacrifice the people you are meant to be protecting in the first place to use. Ibuki's going to run out of friends real fast and I mean that in a literal term.

I think they kind of made it a point that it's the country which is at stake. But agreed. I have two important people to me so I'd find myself having a breakdown after a couple tries.

I have some hopes for this anime. To be frank, it's quite entertaining to see who he sacrifices next.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
#7:

This episode is all about Siwollow and his background. The only question I have is how he is able to wear clothes without them also disintegrating because of his curse. As it stands, anything he touches with his hands or makes into contact with his lips, tongue and teeth will be destroyed but his skin doesn't have the same destructive properties.

If the Meryl from Siwollow's childhood is the same as the Meryl who serves him now, then somehow she's lost the tail that marked her out as a brethren of Eiha.

Now that he's played his hand using the dragon tablets, it looks like Lou has the highest chance of killing the dragon since she kept hers in reserve. Assuming she didn't lose her arm in this episode, she should have enough time to recover for future battles.

The development at the end was somewhat unexpected, but if the trailer is anything to go by then there might be a few more twists and turns before viewers arrive at the scene they showed right at the start of the series.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
#7:

This episode is all about Siwollow and his background. The only question I have is how he is able to wear clothes without them also disintegrating because of his curse. As it stands, anything he touches with his hands or makes into contact with his lips, tongue and teeth will be destroyed but his skin doesn't have the same destructive properties.

If the Meryl from Siwollow's childhood is the same as the Meryl who serves him now, then somehow she's lost the tail that marked her out as a brethren of Eiha.

Yeah Sweallow's curse in general seems pretty arbitrary. What constitutes as "using a tool" and what doesn't anyway? Had the restriction been clearer (like, only stuff he uses with his hands) it'd be fine, but even when he eats without using his hands the bowl shatters. Right now I can only guess that if people use stuff for him the curse won't activate, so he has to be mouth fed and clothed by someone, but even then, he's still the one using the clothes, isn't he?

As for Meryl she probably just tucks the tail in the clothing.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Strictly speaking, 道具 is normally translated as tool which in turn is anything used to create other objects, items used to accomplish a task/job or objects which are utilised to make life more convenient. Clothes don't quite fall into this definition since one can't "use" clothes, they are just there to be worn. It's probably a loophole that makes more sense in a Japanese language context.

The tablets Siwollow was given were specially made so they probably resisted his curse long enough for them to fall into the lava and work their magic.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...idk what else is to say regarding this show but it looks like Swallow Cratsvalley was the one that got the major spotlight this week. Probably one of the better characters though imo for this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7