• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
"Riding the climax", yeah right. This arc's got about 30 episodes left.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
InimitableUman wrote:
"Riding the climax", yeah right. This arc's got about 30 episodes left.

i would not be so sure about that. this IS a shonen jump title after all, and its more than likely that there is going to be some filler episodes in this arc to ensure that the series dont catch up to the manga too quickly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
^Barring a movie tie-in, filler episodes in the middle of an arc is not generally how One Piece operates. It may be a Shonen Jump title, but there are more than one way to deal with the issue of catching up to the manga. Filler is only one of those, and not the one that generally characterizes One Piece's approach to the issue (though it is part of it). One Piece is more known for stretching the material out, especially in recent years, sometimes adapting less than one chapter in one episode. Hence why One Piece still has less filler than say Bleach, despite being an ongoing series and more than twice the length. There is also the strategy of just taking breaks in adapting the material, as with MHA but also Fairy Tail and Gintama before that. These are all Shonen Jump titles, but the way they avoid catching up with the manga are different and more complex than just slapping in some filler.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Barring a movie tie-in, filler episodes in the middle of an arc is not generally how One Piece operates. It may be a Shonen Jump title, but there are more than one way to deal with the issue of catching up to the manga. Filler is only one of those, and not the one that generally characterizes One Piece's approach to the issue (though it is part of it). One Piece is more known for stretching the material out, especially in recent years, sometimes adapting less than one chapter in one episode. Hence why One Piece still has less filler than say Bleach, despite being an ongoing series and more than twice the length. There is also the strategy of just taking breaks in adapting the material, as with MHA but also Fairy Tail and Gintama before that. These are all Shonen Jump titles, but the way they avoid catching up with the manga are different and more complex than just slapping in some filler.

i wouldn't say that. there is a REASON WHY there is over 800 eps of this series, if you exclude all the filler arcs from one piece, the series wouldn't even sniff 600 eps. so it does have a part. luckily none of them are pointless unlike the filler arcs from naruto and bleach which were there to do just that. to prevent the anime from catching up to the manga too quickly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
^Actually, adding up all the filler arcs (and episodes adapted from cover stories), it comes to less than 100 such episodes, out of 840 total. I do not and have not denied that filler is a tool that One Piece uses to avoid catching up, just that that is the main strategy that it employs to do so.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I think One Piece's primary tool for not overtaking the manga material is super aggressively lethargic pacing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I think One Piece's primary tool for not overtaking the manga material is super aggressively lethargic pacing.

Yeah, that's the padding people speak of. This show would be a lot more interesting to watch if it had season breaks (especially as the manga is so breakneck in its pacing), but I know they've already settled into a year-round production schedule.
pandoraking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Im dying to see whats on Tamatebako. Wonder if it will somehow help the crew escape.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
pandoraking wrote:
Im dying to see whats on Tamatebako. Wonder if it will somehow help the crew escape.

Ding ding ding. You guessed it! Smile
hooliganj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
...as with MHA but also Fairy Tail and Gintama before that. These are all Shonen Jump titles, ...

I agree with the point you made. Just wanted to point out that Fairy Tail ran in Shounen Sunday, not Shounen Jump. On average, Sunday series tend to have shorter running lengths than Jump, and are a bit less likely to be animated. But it still includes the likes of Silver Spoon, Arata Kangatari, and Major, as well as a handful of much longer series like Zettai Karen Children and Detective Conan.

Mashima's new series Eden's Zero is now running in Sunday, and while Rin-ne has ended, whatever Takahashi decides to draw next will most likely run in that magazine.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
...as with MHA but also Fairy Tail and Gintama before that. These are all Shonen Jump titles, ...

I agree with the point you made. Just wanted to point out that Fairy Tail ran in Shounen Sunday, not Shounen Jump.

Nope, Fairy Tail was serialized in Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Magazine. Shogakukan publishes Shounen Sunday, which is why Viz has dibs on their titles.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Nope, Fairy Tail was serialized in Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Magazine. Shogakukan publishes Shounen Sunday, which is why Viz has dibs on their titles.

not correct. there are some Shokakukan titles that wasn't taken by viz (the anime versions of those series, NOT the manga versions)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

not correct. there are some Shokakukan titles that wasn't taken by viz (the anime versions of those series, NOT the manga versions)

Since I was talking about manga magazines, I thought it was clear that I was referring to Viz's manga licenses.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Ah, right. I am embarassed. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Still, that only enhances the point that there are more shounen manga magazines out there than just Jump.

And as I understand it, Viz doesn't necessarily have "dibs", even on the manga titles. It's more like they're the default. Any company that wants to pay the licensing fees can still get a manga, but since Shogakukan already has a distributor in the US, it doesn't really matter as much to them, and so they can charge higher rates for anything that looks like it might be a hit in the West.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
The newest episode is a great example of the anime surpassing the manga when it comes to adding more impact to an emotional moment.
Even though some stuff later in the arc makes it more apparent that Pedro might be really gone for good, the jury is still out on whether this is another Pell moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 49