• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Useless Magic Attacks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I totally disagree with Uiharu. Her thermal hand may be rather useless as a level 1, but you have to realize that all abilities in Index can become insanely powerful at higher levels. I've always seen her ability as essentially negating entropy through the manipulation of thermal dynamics. You can imagine what kind of power that could hold at higher levels. Complete control of thermal dynamics, entropy etc.

Once an esper learns how their power works they can begin manipulating it. Simple control of electric flow leads to some badass magnetism shenanigans as Mikoto has shown us (vibrating iron sand swords, walking on metal walls). Accelerator shows what you can do with the simple idea of controlling vector components.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ferrous Breed is actually a tremendously powerful summoning spell that calls forth a gargoyle. (A gargoyle is a "ferrous breed", hence the spell's name.)

Ferrous Breed is a difficult spell to control unless you are a master of both Black Magic and Shamanistic Magic, which are Lina's two specialties (although she also dabbles in White Magic a bit). When Kanzel warps space, trapping Lina in a pocket dimension, Lina realizes that she can return space-time to normal by modifying Ferrous Breed to summon a non-magical animal - in this case, a white dove.

See, in the Slayers universe, Astral Magic is cancelled when it comes into contact with Shamanic Magic... or as Lina puts it, "connecting a fake world to the real world means bye-bye to Crazy Land." By modifying Ferrous Breed to summon doves instead of gargoyles, Lina is capable of dispelling her opponents' Astral Magic spells.

This is never explained in the anime, though, so if you've never read the light novels, Ferrous Breed just looks like a spell that summons doves. Laughing
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
ostiniatoze wrote:
I think it's not so much a limitation of the power, as it is a limitation of her i.e. it was too hot and she didn't want to carry it.

I often wondered how her power could level up.

Maybe the user can adjust the temperature, instead of keeping it at its current degree, or the ability changes from direct contact to a spatial one, meaning that the user can affect (or maybe even adjust) the temperature of the inside of a car, room, building.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
CrimsonDX wrote:
I totally disagree with Uiharu. Her thermal hand may be rather useless as a level 1, but you have to realize that all abilities in Index can become insanely powerful at higher levels. I've always seen her ability as essentially negating entropy through the manipulation of thermal dynamics. You can imagine what kind of power that could hold at higher levels. Complete control of thermal dynamics, entropy etc.

Once an esper learns how their power works they can begin manipulating it. Simple control of electric flow leads to some badass magnetism shenanigans as Mikoto has shown us (vibrating iron sand swords, walking on metal walls). Accelerator shows what you can do with the simple idea of controlling vector components.

I think people over compensate Uihara because they like her. A. its unlikely she will ever level up past one anyway, and even if she does it requires some assumptions that are not even necessarily true to increase her power. If it was as simple as level her up and get rid of the limitation, then she would already have leveled up since its revealed later on that anyone can level up based on how useful they are to the academy and complete control of entropy would have to be on par with any of the level 5s. The fact that hasn't happened yet either means the writer is waiting 30 or so light novels to surprise everyone with a background character or she simply is a background character who just happens to be adorable.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd expect cat lovers would vote more for Nyanta... It's Freaking Nakata Jouji Anime cry
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Pretty weak list.

6. Miroku's Wind Tunnel Hand. This power is awesome (it is a blatant rip-off of Vampire Hunter D hands power), but as someone said earlier, the enemy adapted. Miroku could have opted to use his hand only in close proximity, but TBT Rumiko needed a reason to tone down his power.

4. Ferrous Bleed. As far as I remember, Lina Inverse used this power ONCE, so it is not like this power was relevant at all.

3. Kazari Uiharu's Thermal Hand. What sucks is her power level, if she leveled up she would no doubt be like Robin from Witch Hunter Robin.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree with those saying the Wind Tunnel is useful.

It was a tough call between Working!!! and Non Non Biyori...I went with NNB because I saw the last season of it a lot more recently.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
About The List:

I chose Durarara!! x2 Ten at random. On the List there are about 10 shows that I'm eager to watch.

I can already picture some reviewers' impressions to some of the shows on the List... Laughing Gonna be a hilarious read, I'm sure.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Most useless power. YunYun from Canaan. Her Borner power is she's got two appendixes. and that's it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I think Miroku's Wind Tunnel being on this list is out of context with "Useless Magic Attacks". It's more like it's an attack that's been rendered useless due to the presence of the poisonous insects, at least in the original TV series. However, Final Act has been showing us that Miroku had gotten tired of being "silenced" (little RPG humor there) all this time. The Wind Tunnel has gotten a lot more usage, but it definitely had a price to overusing it.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Even not including the context from the novels, I don't see how a dove summoning spell is useless? Ferrous Bleed is only used once in the anime, but we explicitly see later on that doves are used as a method of communication, like pigeons, in the Slayers universe. That actually sounds extremely handy.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Wind Tunnel is actually TOO useful, and I wouldn't be surprised if Takahashi regrets introducing it in the first place. It's probably the most overpowered attack in that show's whole world, rendering every other hero redundant. Who needs Inuyasha's sword or Sango's ridiculously huge boomerang when you've got an actual black hole? But since she couldn't get rid of the Wind Tunnel without ending the series (having established that the only way to lift the curse is to kill the main villain) Takahashi instead introduced the poison wasps who prevent Miroku from using his power.

So now nearly every battle in Inuyasha starts off the same way: bad guy shows up, Miroku prepares to use Wind Tunnel, wasps fly into frame, Miroku turns off his power and just hits bad guys with his staff for the rest of the fight.

Just about the only time this doesn't happen is when Miroku is separated from the others, or when Inuyasha pulls that "No one else interfere, this is MY FIGHT!" thing. When that happens, the wasps don't bother showing up. They're polite that way.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Maybe the user can adjust the temperature, instead of keeping it at its current degree, or the ability changes from direct contact to a spatial one, meaning that the user can affect (or maybe even adjust) the temperature of the inside of a car, room, building.

Probably not. Kongou is level 4 and she still needs to touch things for her hand ability. The "hand" part probably means they can only influence the area directly around them. It would likely be similar to how Accelerator can only change vectors of things he touches even at level 5.

Though if you think about how uiharu's power probably works, theres no way it isn't incredibly good at higher levels. Kinda like a low level electromaster compared to Mikoto who can do way more than simply produce electricity with her power.

Quote:
Gigaslave calls power from the Lord of Nightmares himself.

I think that should actually be "herself."
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Cure Sword's Sparkle Sword. It kills a Monster of the Week only a single time. It doesn't deal much damage and looks very bad compared to a shield that either protects you or you just throw it to your enemy or reflect the in-coming attack, a freezing attack, and an attack that purifies your enemy anyway or frees you from evil spells.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
While Uiharu's powers are fun to theorize about, why is she in the list in the first place? It's not really magic (though I can understand just chucking all esper powers under "anime magic") nor an attack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5