• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Organisation of Reviews.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mapi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Why can't reviews be organised in order of their score? I'd really like to see the best-reviewed anime, but it's just too much work to go through every single title.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Just for future reference, the Talkback forum is reserved for discussion on articles, news, and headlines that have been posted on the frontpage by staff.

Seeing as how you're questioning the overall presentation of reviews and such, this would be more of a Technical question. Hence, I'll be moving it to the Bugs & Tech. Forum.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
It's not quite what you're asking, but you can view user ratings for anime, which I find more helpful as a scoring system than the scores given in individual reviews.

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian&n=100

Adjust "n=" to your preferred number.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that raiting system a little more screwed up though? I mean Death Note only has around 400 people who voted for it and it's #1. I agree with the OP, though, an archive like IGN or gamespot would be nice! Though it'll be a lot of work.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, this rating system tends to pull titles with fewer votes toward the arithmetic mean. That means that those few who have voted rated the title very highly. What I think is perhaps problematic, though, is that three of the top four are titles from this year. All of this can probably be attributed to the fact that hardcore fans of the shows are probably more likely to watch and vote early. The ratings tend to decrease over time for highly rated shows. Look at Cowboy Bebop which was at the top for most of the time that the system has been in place. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya also had a rapid rise due to rabid fans, but the ratings for that have moderated somewhat. Overall, I suppose there's really nothing to be concerned about.

Now, there is another statistic that ANN calls Most Popular. It is a simple sum of all votes, so titles with lots of votes and generally high ratings will tend to be near the top of this list.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya also had a rapid rise due to rabid fans, but the ratings for that have moderated somewhat.

Using the term "moderated" can be misleading, as if implying any ANN staff has "adjusted" the rating. The fact is, being a really controversial title, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has quite a few rabid anti-fans as well as rabid fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1