• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Are there any criteria a show has to meet to be considered a classic like being however many years old or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Are there any criteria a show has to meet to be considered a classic like being however many years old or something?

Being well-known and/or well-regarded.

So either really popular or well-known for being a good thing, some balance thereof.
daishi808

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't mind seeing 'Classic' Episode reviews of Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad or possibly Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I really don't think it's appropriate to pick a show that's not available anywhere on legal streaming or even on DVD no matter how good it is. How many people who didn't already watch Paranoia Agent will happen to have the DVDs lying around? There are so many other shows to choose that are available like--
Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Rose of Versailles
Peguindrum
, for example.

Actually, before I saw the article I was thinking that as soon as Legend of the Galactic Heroes becomes available via streaming, ANN should have a critic review it on a weekly basis.

I'm glad most of the shows I voted for were picked up for review this season, except for Shimoneta. That would have been fun to read about each week!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm sorry, I really don't think it's appropriate to pick a show that's not available anywhere on legal streaming or even on DVD no matter how good it is. How many people who didn't already watch Paranoia Agent will happen to have the DVDs lying around? There are so many other shows to choose that are available like--
Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Rose of Versailles
Peguindrum
, for example.

The trick with that is (at least for this trial) we had a rule of "it has to be a show you haven't seen before."

Unfortunately, many of our critics have seen all the big popular classic flagships. So we're just testing things out with one Nick hadn't seen.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Videogamep wrote:

Being well-known and/or well-regarded.

So either really popular or well-known for being a good thing, some balance thereof.

So would newer shows like Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate or FMA:B be eligible?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I'm sorry, I really don't think it's appropriate to pick a show that's not available anywhere on legal streaming or even on DVD...

The trick with that is (at least for this trial) we had a rule of "it has to be a show you haven't seen before."

Unfortunately, many of our critics have seen all the big popular classic flagships. So we're just testing things out with one Nick hadn't seen.

But this does not address the big elephant in the room: how are people going to watch Paranoia Agent if it cannot be streamed legally, and the DVD's are OOP? I wouldn't want to resort to piracy.
ikramit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Currently going through the City Hunter animated tv series seems like a classic anime that would be fun to review episodically
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It feels like ANN tacitly encouraging piracy in an age where very few titles actually need to be pirated to be seen. I'm sure Nick is getting the DVDs legally, but if no one else can, what's the point?

I know ANN's "policy" (to the extent that it has one) on piracy seems to be that it's okay if its the only way to watch a show, but I don't think ANN should do something that tacitly encourages piracy on a regular basis like a weekly review of an OOP show.

And I don't believe that every available critic at ANN has seen every readily available classic from the 70's to the mid aughts. What about the original Gundam? Nobody's Boy Remi (pretty sure its on Hulu)? Princess Tutu?

Or, if you're gonna review something not available in North America and English speaking countries, go for broke and review something that has never been released and is unlikely to ever be released, like one of the fabled Macross shows or movies.
MemoBookworm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I would love it if someone would do episodic reviews of Penguindrum. Ikuhara's shows are always tricky to understand without walls and walls of text and penguindrum is the hardest one to find stuff like that.

Although it might have to be someone who had seen it before to fully explain it. Hmmm.
No Comment

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Throwing in my two cents for Daily Streaming Classics...
Outlaw Star
Gankutsuou
Planetes
Serial Experiments Lain

Hope the Paranoia Agent one goes well.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, wasn't expecting Chaos Dragon to make it in; I'm pleasantly surprised. Episode 2 was an improvement, so here's to hoping the trend continues.

I think the only thing I cared about that didn't make the cut was Prisma 2wei. Well, I've got seven other reviews to follow, so it all worked out in the end.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I'd recommend FLAG and Dirty Pair, since I'm sure not every one of you have seen those yet, especially with Dirty Pair's TV series only being released relatively recently. I hope it's not just gonna be kept to series that you believe will generate the most views, like a Utena or Bebop, and that's the issue: everyone's (hyperbole, but not fully incorrect) already seen all of the big shows too and have their opinions set. Of course it works well for "every episode is literally nothing but metaphors" like Paranoia Agent and all Ikuhara, but there's only so many of those.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Could someone explain why the Death Note live action movie is on the review schedule? I don't recall seeing it on the voting list, and the link doesn't take me to a new (or newly available) release of it. And being a movie, it would be a one and done affair anyway, so why have it on the daily streaming schedule? And it's not even anime.

What obvious thing am I missing (must be obvious since no one has even commented on its inclusion Smile )?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Could someone explain why the Death Note live action movie is on the review schedule? I don't recall seeing it on the voting list, and the link doesn't take me to a new (or newly available) release of it. And being a movie, it would be a one and done affair anyway, so why have it on the daily streaming schedule? And it's not even anime.

What obvious thing am I missing (must be obvious since no one has even commented on its inclusion Smile )?

It's not a movie, I believe this one is the new J-drama series that (I think) just started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7