• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Big Apple Anime Fest

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:

In 2010,
Still, that was the year Minori Chihara was there for a concert, which packed the main stage room. Still remember being right up against the stage for that show, facing outward with my volunteer shirt on, my first year working the con. The synchronized glowstick work by the Japanese fans that flew in for the concert and the American ones who aped them was a sight to watch.

I wonder who had the greater culture shock, the Japanese fans or the US fans?

Minorin seems to do well relating to Japanese audiences at least, like at the end of concerts getting the audience to go silent then calling out without amplification and being audible, even in a venue like Saitama Super Arena holding 27,000 people.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

I wonder who had the greater culture shock, the Japanese fans or the US fans?

Minorin seems to do well relating to Japanese audiences at least, like at the end of concerts getting the audience to go silent then calling out without amplification and being audible, even in a venue like Saitama Super Arena holding 27,000 people.

Probably the US fans, as the Japanese ones who flew in should be used to it. They were probably used to a con of that size as well, though I think many only attended the con on Saturday for the concert or bought VIP packages just for it. They were the ones who came up with the glowstick choreography after all, and the US fans were imitating them after they tried to teach people around them in the VIP section how to do it, and it just filtered out to part of the rest of the crowd from there.

Really wish I could've seen more of the concert, but we weren't meant to be facing the stage all that much. Turned around often enough to take in her songs and dancing, though I mostly was seeing the glowstick work when facing the crowd. Still, it was a good time, and the music was great.

Crowd was relatively small, compared to what she must've normally played to, but still, a couple thousand (guestimating the attendance based off of the size of the crowd and the capacity of the main theater that year) isn't bad at all. The fans were really into it, especially when she came out for her encore and thanked the attendees in her cute halting English, before breaking into Hare Hare Yukai for the finisher. Man, that was a great capper to that con, which kinda got me coming back for more in later years...
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
They were the ones who came up with the glowstick choreography after all, and the US fans were imitating them after they tried to teach people around them in the VIP section how to do it, and it just filtered out to part of the rest of the crowd from there.

It took me a few concert attendances in Japan to get used to the glow-stick choreography but it does grow on you.

Minori Chihara and Nana Mizuki solo concerts have quite elaborate glow-stick/light-stick activity, as do combined concerts like Animelo Summer Live and Animax Musix, but other acts either do not allow light-sticks at concerts or it is not such a big thing. A solo Angela concert I attended had few people using light-sticks but enthusiastic audience participation using towels and flags.

The other over-riding impression of music of anime concerts I have is their high level of professionalism and polite audiences that allow everyone to hear quieter songs yet joining in singing and responses in more up-tempo songs.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

It took me a few concert attendances in Japan to get used to the glow-stick choreography but it does grow on you.

Minori Chihara and Nana Mizuki solo concerts have quite elaborate glow-stick/light-stick activity, as do combined concerts like Animelo Summer Live and Animax Musix, but other acts either do not allow light-sticks at concerts or it is not such a big thing. A solo Angela concert I attended had few people using light-sticks but enthusiastic audience participation using towels and flags.

The only other concert I've been to that had that level of glowstick choreography was the Hatsune Miku concert they held in Manhattan last October a week after New York Comic Con. In that, it was a smaller venue, and they gave branded green Miku glowsticks to everyone in the crowd via their swag bags, and the crowd all got the hang of it not too far into the concert if they didn't know what to do already. Some people brought their own, including a guy I saw with a bandolier of them, but otherwise, it was just the green ones they handed out, and it was enough.

There was also minor glowstick action at the FLOW concert at AnimeNext last month, but it wasn't really all that coordinated, or at least if it was, I didn't really see it. I know my cousin and his friends had a bunch of serious light-sticks that they were waving around during their set, and there was a dude off to the side doing a serious set raver moves with a glowstick in each hand to the music, but there was real coordination in the crowd glowstick action to speak of, besides people waving them around when they felt it fit the music or vibe on stage.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame to see this column going to an "as needed" basis since I rather enjoyed Justin's stories, but it is understandable. The premise of this column is great, but I can see where it might be difficult to get contributions to it since people would need to be aware of it, have a story they felt was interesting enough to share, and also feel comfortable sharing said story.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
It seems ridiculous that Paris can have Japan Expo and there are other premiere events around the world while New York City has no presence whatsoever. Knowing the logistics, what do you believe an anime convention has to do to crack the NYC code? Waku Waku is the new challenger this year and I'm curious to hear your take with your experience.

Well, there's New York Comic-Con. But I'd guess that there's not much convention stuff going on in NYC for the same reason the Big Apple Anime Fest couldn't sustain itself: Property values in New York City are just too high for temporary events like these unless it's something really big like NYCC.

I'd bet it's the same deal with Japan Expo: It's so large, it doesn't matter how much it costs to rent the space as they'd likely earn it back.

XChampion wrote:
As an example of the popularity Japan Expo had an attendance of 240,000 people in 2014. Anime Expo for example had an attendance of 90,500 this year.

Japan Expo 2014 had 240,000 turnstile attendance; Anime Expo 2014 had 90,000 unique attendance. As they're both multi-day events, that makes a big difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2