• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classroom Crisis [2015-07-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
^neither did I! I think they can finish, considering the way they blew through everything in today's episode. The pacing sucks, and so does the animation when they go the Montage route, but they do get through the material.

I didn't think Iris was smiling in support of her friend so much as wistfully trying to put a good face on when she saw how much her friend cared for Nagisa now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda lost now. I'm not at all clear on how the trauma in the space pod relates to the murder at the supply gate (which came first?). Or the murders in Nagisa's flashback, for that matter.

In the pod, the man calls her Nagisa and the last hope of the Shinamiyas. When the grandfather is murdered, he says, "We can't let them take Nagisa away - we [the Shirasakis] will protect him even if it costs our lives." Is Iris actually a boy? Cause s/he's got boobs. >.> Mistranslation? Did the people that took him know he wasn't Nagisa? How could they not know what their target looked like, or at least know what color his hair should be?

Have we been given any indication that Nagisa knows he's a Shirasaki and not the bastard son of papa Kiryu? I forget if he's had any of the flashbacks of the grandfather's murder or not. How could he not remember all those murders around him being to protect Iris/Nagisa? Unless traumatic amnesia is contagious... Have all his machinations been about protecting Iris and they just haven't let us in on that? Or, as is probably the case, my memory has skipped over all the important parts. I mean, both he and accountant girl have always known more about her than they're telling, so I guess that was supposed to be enough of a clue? And how do the flashbacks of his mother's funeral tie in?

I guess they're gonna have to spell it out for me, because it's not penetrating my skull. Smile
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm kinda lost now. I'm not at all clear on how the trauma in the space pod relates to the murder at the supply gate (which came first?). Or the murders in Nagisa's flashback, for that matter.

In the pod, the man calls her Nagisa and the last hope of the Shinamiyas. When the grandfather is murdered, he says, "We can't let them take Nagisa away - we [the Shirasakis] will protect him even if it costs our lives." Is Iris actually a boy? Cause s/he's got boobs. >.> Mistranslation? Did the people that took him know he wasn't Nagisa? How could they not know what their target looked like, or at least know what color his hair should be?

Have we been given any indication that Nagisa knows he's a Shirasaki and not the bastard son of papa Kiryu? I forget if he's had any of the flashbacks of the grandfather's murder or not. How could he not remember all those murders around him being to protect Iris/Nagisa? Unless traumatic amnesia is contagious... Have all his machinations been about protecting Iris and they just haven't let us in on that? Or, as is probably the case, my memory has skipped over all the important parts. I mean, both he and accountant girl have always known more about her than they're telling, so I guess that was supposed to be enough of a clue? And how do the flashbacks of his mother's funeral tie in?

My guess is this: the origin of Shirasaki Iris (I'll refer to her as such until we'll learn what is Kiryū Nagisa's real name) is the same as Nagisa presented it, with her being the child of both households. However, because of the political implications it could create, her existence was kept hidden, probably so much so that those out of the loop knew only of Kiryū Nagisa's name, but nothing more.

Now, at some point someone tried to take out the Shinamiya household, and during the escape the grandfather was killed, with the young (presumably) Shirasaki boy at the scene as well. In order to save Iris, the young boy took on the name Kiryū Nagisa and went out to confront the pursuers. Meanwhile Iris, who was already shaken up by witnessing the events thus far, went with a bodyguard into a spacecraft, but they flew into a field of space debris, which ruptured the hull and caused that flashback. Iris, after experiencing a double-whammy of mental pressure, blacked (and blocked) out, leading to her being having a psychogenic amnesia, most likely a PTSD.

Afterwards, Nagisa was taken into the Kiryū household, and got a healthy dose of beating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Most likely after several years of playing the part of impersonating someone else, along with the constant abuse, made him think that he really was Kiryū Nagisa. It's a pretty common thing with abducted children who were held captive for several years.

As for the line spoken by the grandfather, it was a translation error. He says (I went by-ear) やつ等にナギサ様を奪われてはならん。命に換えても守りするのだ (yatsura ni Nagisa-sama wo ubawarete ha naran. Inochi ni kaetemo mamori suru no da ), or "we can't have them take away Honorable Nagisa. [that person] must be protected even at the cost of our lives." The translator probably chose the pronoun "him" because that line can't be translated to English without a pronoun, even though in the Japanese line there wasn't one present.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ok, that helps. So whose funeral do we keep attending with young Nagisa?
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
@ Hameyadea

What an amazing response. I was confused too, so thanks.

ps I like how you include links in your posts.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, that helps. So whose funeral do we keep attending with young Nagisa?

The grandparent Shirasaki (that's the family name written), probably.

I suppose spoiler[it was then when they decided to switch Nagisa/Iris for ?/Nagisa. And all this time wondering that Nagisa is more a girl's than a boy's name... ]

Last edited by kgw on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure - unless my memory is filling in gaps, what we can see of her jawline under the veil looks too young to be a grandmother.

I'd go back and look, but I don't recall now which episodes had those flashbacks, and they're so short I'd have to know where to look to avoid missing them on a quick skim.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed ep.11 quite a bit, but just when i was thinking "hey, that's not half-bad, perhaps i judged this show too harshly?" the final scene happened and we were right back in Rolling Eyes territory (and there i had been hoping psycho-bro would be gone for good since his cartoonish evilness really dragged the show down. Oh well...).
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Did the show ever explain why apparently two incumbents were running in the same single seat constituency? Was there a redistricting?
A belated response, but I've tried looking into it, and this may have to do with Japan's parallel voting system. In a scene in the beginning of episode 8 Yuuji mentions that the Seimin party would have trouble winning even the proportional representation, i.e. the seats allocated according to party lists. Since Furubayashi is a former minister it's likely that he was originally elected via party list, rather than the single-seat district in question. While I haven't found a scene where this was stated outright (I tried to look through all the scenes that discuss the elections, but I might have missed some), I think the implication is that Furubayashi, fearing that he might not make it as part of Seimin's party list, decided to run in a single-party district instead, so that he personally can have a chance to get a seat even if the party does badly overall. So the two incumbents facing each other in the same district are the actual incumbent for the district and a challenger for the seat who had originally been elected to the Diet via an entirely different process. Unless there's something I've missed that contradicts this.

Edit: Man, the show has all this amazing character development, and what do I choose to focus my analytical attention on? The subplot with all the political BS Confused Oh well, at least I learned something Smile
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
the final scene happened and we were right back in Rolling Eyes territory (arnd there i had been hoping psycho-bro would be gone for good since his cartoonish evilness really dragged the show down. Oh well...).

So THATS who that was! I had dismissed the middle brother so quickly that I didn't even remember his face. Soooooo... Will there be tragedy fueled drama (here's hoping) or will the writers pull a "Charlotte"?
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Is there just one more episode?
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Did the show ever explain why apparently two incumbents were running in the same single seat constituency? Was there a redistricting?
A belated response, but I've tried looking into it, and this may have to do with Japan's parallel voting system. In a scene in the beginning of episode 8 Yuuji mentions that the Seimin party would have trouble winning even the proportional representation, i.e. the seats allocated according to party lists. Since Furubayashi is a former minister it's likely that he was originally elected via party list, rather than the single-seat district in question. While I haven't found a scene where this was stated outright (I tried to look through all the scenes that discuss the elections, but I might have missed some), I think the implication is that Furubayashi, fearing that he might not make it as part of Seimin's party list, decided to run in a single-party district instead, so that he personally can have a chance to get a seat even if the party does badly overall. So the two incumbents facing each other in the same district are the actual incumbent for the district and a challenger for the seat who had originally been elected to the Diet via an entirely different process. Unless there's something I've missed that contradicts this.

Edit: Man, the show has all this amazing character development, and what do I choose to focus my analytical attention on? The subplot with all the political BS Confused Oh well, at least I learned something Smile

Character development? Rolling Eyes
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
My god that was a terrible episode. Aside from sucky animation and that ridiculous villain, the pacing was absurd and the plot turned into a Saturday morning cartoon. And I don't think I'll ever forget the 'vehicle' the villain created to exact his revenge, which was essentially a minivan strapped to a rocket.

Did someone just drop a Venture Bros episode into the CC queue by accident?
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Was this supposed to be some kind of experiment about how much ridiculous drama can be cramped into a single episode?!

This is easily going to be the worst show of the season for me. The worst i've been stupid enough to follow until the end, at the very least...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
If you can just strap rockets on an SUV, why is A-Tec going to all the work and expense of rebuilding their wrecked fuselage? Apparently the important point is whether their fancy new engine is amazing or not. Just use a more aerodynamic car than a van, add seals for space flight, and voila! Very Happy

Speaking of seals...Nagisa's going to need to hold his breath a lot next week, huh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5