• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akane Analyzes (Spoilerific).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
@Chiibi

Thank you for your comments, Chiibi! I do concede that this is one of the great episodes, but it does have a huge problem involving how it's message is conveyed. I cannot freaking ignore how much they f**ked up the delivery.

Indeed. It's one of those episodes where you're like "..............um....I'm uncomfortable". Just one or two times....but yeah.

Quote:
This is why I quit Boys Over Flowers merely a few chapters in, and why I will NEVER touch Mayu Shinjo's works with ten foot pole.

Man, you and I could bond just over the hatred for that woman's works. XDDD

This is kinda why I tend to favor more kid-friendly shoujo. The younger the demographic, the cleaner and more feel-good the shoujo is. Like rape themes will be softened to either kiss themes or accidents instead. That's a lot less squicky; especially when the heroine just gets mad and slaps him and it never happens again.
One of my favorite moments in Saint Tail regarding this kind of thing:
spoiler[Her detective love interest is keen on catching her because she's technically a thief. She's escaping on a hot air balloon in one scene and he grabs onto her legs (of course she is wearing a skirt). She gets flustered and calls him a pervert. He gets EQUALLY flustered because his mind hadn't even gone in that direction, awkwardly stutters, and she tells him to shut up and shakes him off.]
This is funny instead of squicky because the boy remains chaste and innocent instead of being creepy on purpose. It changes the entire tone of such a scene.

Now, if your male character DOESN'T have that kind of personality (we know Kyouya certainly doesn't), it's probably best to.....not do sexual jokes with him at all.

All I can come up with is they put that scene in there because it makes (some) girls feel "excited" over his fake aggressiveness (cue infamous doki-doki moment).
Still, this can be achieved without being a faux rapist.
If he used the words "You can go out with me then" instead of talking about payment with her body, that'd be a whole lot less creepy.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

To clarify, I have NEVER read any of Mayu Shinjo's manga. Ever. I'm not the sort to go looking out for her works anyway, but after reading about what was going on behind the scenes, I can't look at anything she wrote and not read it as a cry for help. It'd be like looking into someone's diary. That's why I'm not covering any Shinjo works ever. Now, if I ever were to recap Boys Over Flowers (and I really don't want to), I'd need to enlist someone to help me survive watching it. I could barely read even a few chapters because of how vile and mean-spirited it was.

Here is my personal view on sexual assault and rape in fiction; unless you know exactly what you're doing, just don't. Too often, rape is used as a cheap way to add drama when something else could have easily been used. Future Diary did it. SAO's "Fairy Dance" did it. And as much as I love the series, Kill la Kill did it too. There are only TWO anime/manga series I've seen so far that have used rape in a non-offensive manner.

1) Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, oddly enough. Rose, a minor character from the beginning of the show, comes back with a baby in tow. It is heavily implied she was gang-raped by Amestrian soldiers (we never even hear the word rape), and you can clearly see the impact it had on her. It also ties in with the horrors of war theme the series has going on.

2) The Flowers of Evil manga. In there, Nanako Saeki rapes main character Takao Kasuga in a desperate attempt to win him back/ get revenge on Sawa Nakamura for "stealing" him. The rape is portrayed as horrifying and as the moment when both Saeki's Madonna facade and her relationship with Kasuga are utterly destroyed. Also, the manga is about the complex romantic and sexual relationships between men and women, so it doesn't feel out of place.

Other than that, it's rare to see rape portrayed in a way that isn't tasteless. I remember Linkara did an entire rant on the poor portrayal of rape in fiction in one of his Identity Crisis videos. I don't remember exactly which one, but go check both of them out. Lewis Lovhaug is very talented and you should watch his videos anyway.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! Someone else who read Aku no Hana!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Announcements! (and a poll)

Hi, y'all. So, I just wanted to let all of you know what my current schedule is, since real life is difficult and I'm not made out of time or money. By next Tuesday, I hope to have the next Ouran recap out, then the next Code Geass recap out by either Friday or Saturday. Now, as to my analysis post on white-washing, I will have to wait until Ghost in the Shell is out on DVD and the Death Note movie premieres on Netflix. Instead, I'll be doing a top ten. On what, you may ask? I'm letting you, my dear readers, decide. I couldn't pick between these, two, so you make the call!

* Top Ten Kalafina Songs (that aren't from anime)
* Top Ten Anime Scenes that Made the Catgirl Cry

Thank you everyone! I'll see you as soon as possible!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Since I don't know any Kalafina songs that aren't from anime, I vote for the tears. Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote

For precisely the same reason, I cast an identical vote!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Akane Recaps Ouran Episode Nine: In Which The Straw Feminists Debut Flashily

Last time on The Young, the Rich, and the Air-Headed:

Haruhi and her fellow hosts at the Ouran Host Club headed out to the beach for some fun and relaxation. On the trip, the boys began to ponder over what Haruhi was afraid of. It wasn't the dark or small spaces, nor sharp objects or ghosts. In fact, the boys were more scared for Haruhi when she nearly drowned after being pushed off a cliff by two local perverts. Of course, Haruhi learned that you can always count on your friends to help you (after a questionable encounter with Kyoya), while Tamaki learned that Haruhi was scared of thunderstorms. What awaits the hosts this week?

On today's episode, "A Challenge from Lobelia Girls' Academy" we meet the Takarazuka club, or Zuka Club as they are called. Like Nekozawa, the Lobelia girls are reoccuring characters, and this episode won't be the last to feature them. Some fans have taken issue with these characters for being a negative caricature of the feminist movement, but what do I think? Let's see.

We begin the episode with a brief shot of blue rose petals against an opening gate, featuring pirouetting silhouettes of today's guest characters. We then cut to the host club, with Haruhi hearing word that afternoon classes are getting canceled due to Ouran's annual culture exhibition (not to be confused with the school festival). Meanwhile, Hikaru and Kaoru are educating Renge- remember her?- about the wonders of instant coffee. They then proceed to brown nose Haruhi into buying some more, even though she's not particularly interested.

[I prefer my beloved Keurig coffee maker, if I do say so myself.]

As Haruhi bemoans her situation ("Damn them...I really hate rich people!"), two clients thank "him" for going out to buy instant coffee for everyone. They tell Haruhi that it's because of her that the twins are so cheerful and friendly; apparently, the brothers Hitachiin used to be far more anti-social back in middle school. As someone who's watched ahead, yeah, not only were Hikaru and Kaoru complete loners, they were even bigger a**holes than they are now. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Haruhi walks back, musing over what the two girls told her about her impact on Hikaru and Kaoru, when she suddenly slips on a (planted) banana peel and falls into the arms of a certain bifauxnen. "It'd be a shame for any harm to come to that cute face of yours, young lady." says the stranger. She smiles in a flirtatious way, chuckling in a sexy manner. Everything about her demeanor makes you wonder if there's a pack of screaming fans nearby.

Her name is Benio "Benibara" Amakusa, voiced by Stephanie Young. She's the one in the middle, by the way. The other ones are Chizuru "Suzuran" Maihara (Jamie Marchi) and Hinako "Hinagiku" Tsuwabuki (Brittney Karbowski). They are the three most prominent members of the Zuka club. What is "Zuka", you may ask? Takarazuka is a form of Japanese theater where all the characters are played by women. It's very popular with young women, tends to be ostentatious in production, and also has a ton of homoerotic subtext. I won't go in further, since I don't know much about takarazuka beyond the basics, but you can feel the influence throughout anime and manga.

Anyway, we cut to Chizuru and Hinako marching their way to the host club room, where the boys are dressed up as knights. Tamaki's charm fails to work on these fine ladies, who then deliver a stereotypical Straw Feminist speech on how men are weak and can't really protect women and blah blah blah. When Tamaki asks what the two want to hear, Benio storms in with Haruhi in one arm and sexily says "Maybe something like, 'I would never leave my lover alone. If we fight, it'll be together! If we fail, we'll fail together! Even if I were to die, I promise you that I will never leave your side, my love."

[That...contralto...]

Benio plants a kiss on Haruhi's hand, much to the shock of the hosts, admitting that she knew Haruhi was a girl all along. After all, who better to recognize Haruhi as a woman than a fellow crossdresser? Tamaki is not pleased to see his crush being stolen by other women, and even less pleased to have been punched by Benio. After a brief question from Kyoya, the girls confirm they are St. Lobelia Girl's Academy students, then change into takaruzuka-appropriate costumes. The hosts realize very quickly that they have hot competition on their heels.

So, here's the ten million dollar question; are the Lobelia girls written in a sexist manner? If I had to honest, I don't think they're supposed to be. The Zuka Club act as the main rivals of the hosts, especially over Haruhi. Both clubs consist of same-gendered teenagers with a flair for the dramatic and a love for expensive and showy costumes. They both cater to a female audience, and their leaders embody the prince charming archetype. Benio and company aren't written as straight villains, and you can argue their man-hating tendencies are all part of the show. Are there questionable moments in how the Lobelia girls are represented? Sure. But at the end of the day, they're fun characters to see on screen.

As Tamaki BSODs and the twins laugh at their newfound rivals, Renge arrives on the scene to warn the boys that the Zuka Club shouldn't be underestimated. After all, Benio and friends are the most popular girls at St. Lobelia, their club having had thirty years to gain their status. The Zuka club continues to put on a show, only to find their audience ignoring their antics. However, it seems they may have an ulterior motive, especially concerning Haruhi's status as a host. After some antics involving Tamaki burning his finger on hot coffee, Benio announces their intent to have Haruhi become a St.Lobelia student/member of the Takaruzuka Cult.

The race is on to convince Haruhi to stay with them! However, it seems that the Host Club might not be as shiny as it looks. Not only is Host King Tamaki merely half-Japanese-

Funny Aneurysm Moment: 19

But the Host Club's only been around for two years. In addition, the twins stole one of Haruhi's pencilss and had it auctioned off for thirty thousand yen. It looks like Team Straw Feminists have the upper hand, twirling their way out and hammily laughing. It seems that they've successfully turned Haruhi against the hosts, leaving Tamaki in abject despair...temporarily. It's time for Operation Gaudy Clothes!

We cut to Day Two of the Cultural Exhibition, right as the Zuka club's performance is coming to a close. The Lobelia girls head straight to Haruhi, only too eager to hear her response to their invitation. They all head off to the host club's room, only to discover something horrifying. A sad parody of their act!

[You thought I was kidding?]

According to Host "Queen" Tamaki, the reason for this display is so that Haruhi can have the female company she's been craving. Benio is peeved at the supposed mockery of her art, but Haruhi bursts into laughter. Hikaru and Kaoru admit that none of the hosts wanted her to leave, and Haruhi politely declines the Lobelia girl's invitation. After all, there's a reason she came to Ouran specifically (more details later), and while she was angry at the boys, that's not enough to get her to call it quits. The Zuka Club aren't quitters either, and they leave austentatiously, although not without slipping on banana peels. The episode ends with Renge making a reappearance and commenting on the events of the episode, with a not so subtle hint that she was the one who planted the peels that time.

To be fair, the plot of this episode is pretty stock. It's a typical "will an established member leave" episode that always ends with said member staying. Still, there's plenty of comedy to go around, and there's a lot of funny jokes that I didn't write about. As for the Zuka club, I personally prefer the other episode starring them than this once. They're funny characters, but the Straw Feminism gag can be a bit tiring to some and outright offensive to others. That's not to say this episode is bad, not at all. It's just that there's far better.

NEXT TIME:

Code Geass on Saturday!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Lol I despise the Lobelia girls. I just found them REALLY really really annoying.
There's a huge difference between feminism and misandry and I absolutely hate the latter.

Besides, any woman who punches Best Boy deserves death. Twisted Evil
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol I despise the Lobelia girls. I just found them REALLY really really annoying.
There's a huge difference between feminism and misandry and I absolutely hate the latter.

I can understand that, the same way I understand why certain fans don't take well to Renge. I'm a bit more lenient with the Zuka Club because A) they only make one or two more appearances after this and B) they're not entirely evil. For straw feminists, they could be far worse. Also, Stephanie Young. You may have noticed I have a thing for contralto voices in women, and you'll see this again when Cornelia makes her first appearance in Code Geass. (It isn't a coincidence that I'm a huge fan of Keiko Kubota of Kalafina fame.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
they leave austentatiously

If you see them as having a certain Victorian flair for the dramatic, yes. Otherwise they're merely ostentatious. ;D

The Straw Feminists perturb me more these days than back when I first watched it. Probably because I've grown so weary (a word I'm hesitant to use because so many people now think it means wary rather than tired) of people all over the internet hacking away at their straw sisters' misandry and honestly thinking they've scored a point against actual feminism. And also because anime is still neck deep in this trope. See this season's Armed Girl's Machiavellism. Better yet, don't.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
weary (a word I'm hesitant to use because so many people now think it means wary rather than tired)

Good of you to clarify. I was exactly thinking you meant "wary" (like cautious). But it's completely ok for me to make that mistake because I'm not a native English speaker. Right? I'll be more weary when I use that word in the future...

Dammit.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked Renge quite a lot. :'D She's really funny.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Akane Recaps Code Geass Episode Three- Girl Does Nothing But Look Cute

Last Time on Code Madness:

Lelouch: This power is awesome! Hey, you, give me your robot!
Viletta: No.
Lelouch: Please?
Viletta: I'm coming out to whoop your butt if you don't shut up.
Lelouch: That's better! Give me your robot!
Viletta: Okay. Here's the password.
Lelouch: Well, today just might be my lucky day.
Elsewhere...
Lloyd: You want a giant robot, kid?
Suzaku: Sure, but why me?
Lloyd: We need a fall guy in case the Lancelot blows up.
Cecile: OH MY GOD, LLOYD, YOU CAN'T JUST SAY THAT.
Suzaku: No, it's okay. Not like my opinion matters or anything.
Meanwhile, in the midst of the battlefield.
Kallen: This is awful. We've got to evacuate everyone! Mystery Guy, do you copy?
Lelouch: Don't worry, I'm just out gambling. See you later.
Kallen: Who the hell are you talking to?
Lelouch: My...wife?
Kallen: Really.
Jeremiah: FOR THE CROWN!
Kallen and Lelouch: Oh sh*t.
One battle later...
Lelouch: Okay, now that we've got THAT taken care of, I found new robots.
The Resistance: Hooray!
At Clovis's headquarters.
Clovis: This is bad. Really bad.
Everyone Else: How bad?
Clovis: Swan Princess Christmas bad.
Lloyd: Hey, you, want to try out my robot?
Clovis: No, we can totally handle-
*BOOM*
Clovis: ...fine.
Later...
Lelouch: What's up?
Some Guy: There's a shiny white robot that's killing us all! AAAAAA!
Everyone: AAAAAA!
Woman and Baby: AAAAAA!
Suzaku: Got you!
Somewhere else in Shinjuku...
Kallen: That was freaky. But at least everyone here is safe.
Suddenly, Britannians!
Kallen: Should have kept my mouth shut.
Clovis: Wait, stop! No more fighting! Please! Everyone go home! We're done!
At Clovis Tower...
Clovis: There, are you happy now, you son of a-
Lelouch unmasks himself.
Lelouch: What were you about to call my mother?
Clovis: ...this is unexpected.

"The False Classmate" features more shocking reveals sandwiched with lighthearted character moments at Ashford Academy. Does the mood shift work? Um...kind of? Okay, not always. But for the most part, it's a solid episode. Aside from a few things.

After a quick recap of the backstory and the opening theme song, the episode truly begins with the Britannian soldiers wondering why they're letting the Japanese citizens go instead of just shooting them. Kallen walks among them, her gaze resting on Prince Clovis's tower. Speaking of, Clovis is delighted to see Lelouch alive, despite the fact that his younger half-brother is pointing a gun at him. And why is Lulu so angry? His mother, Marianne, was assassinated, presumably out of jealousy for her position as a knight of honor in spite of her commoner background. His younger sister was caught in the crossfire, not only losing her ability to walk, but as we shall see, came down with trauma-induced blindness. All of this happened in front of a young Lelouch's eyes.

...Now that I think of it, I'm surprised Lelouch didn't go completely insane at the sight of all that. Or...did he?

His Hotness is convinced someone from the royal court ordered a hit on his mother, and Clovis is on his list of suspects. He uses his Geass to force Clovis to give his side of the story. Unfortunately, the older prince doesn't have any leads, but he redirects Lelouch to two older siblings, Schneizel (snrk) and Cornelia. Satsified, Lulu decides that Clovis has outlived his usefulness and shoots him point blank.

Yeah, you all thought Clovis was going to be a major character, right? That is, if you were watching this while it was being broadcasted. However, this is not a mere throwaway death like you'd think. The murder of Clovis has many ramifications over the course of the series, and is one of many moments when the show dabbles into gray territory in terms of morality. I'll go into it more later.

We cut to...school. Yes, school. There, Lelouch is being lectured by the blonde and busty girl we saw occasionally in the first two episodes. She is the student council president, and everyone in the classroom is under her command. They're all super busy getting the budget for the school clubs organized, and Madame President will not put up with any dillydallying!

Her name is Milly Ashford, and she's voiced by Julie Ann Taylor. She is one of the few characters (Lloyd among them) who is absolutely adored by the fans. And why not? She's hot, yes, but she's the cool big sister and a source of pretty good jokes (most of the time).

There's a clever joke about Rivalz mentioning the equestrian team getting p*ssed and a member appearing right outside the window just as he says that, by the way. Actually, this entire scene is nice. After the complete what-the-f**kery we saw for a little over two straight episodes, it's nice to have at least some levity. There's something about seeing these teens just being teens that's lovely.

We cut to the student council heading to class, overhearing wind of the "poison gas" attack from earlier. Lelouch covers his tracks over his wherabouts by claiming he was hearing the news in real time. He wonders why the Britannians are using that story (no doubt releasing photoshopped pictures), before flashing back to the moment he shot Clovis. He vomits, and we cut to the bathroom as he finishes washing up. Lelouch guesses they're tring to buy some time after the sudden death of Area Eleven's governor. "I guess that I'm not as tough as I thought I was." he remarks.

Elsewhere, Jermiah and Villetta are making plans. The former remarks on how Bartley (the general guy) was a fool, and that whoever murdered Clovis has breached security twice already. Viletta wants to proceed forward with their scheme, but Jeremiah insists they have to "woo everyone over" first.

Back at school, Lelouch arrives back at class to see that someone has out-Clark Kented him. The redheaded mecha pilot who helped steal the truck is a student at Ashford, much to his shock. However, Kallen's school person is that of a mild-mannered ill girl who doesn't have hair right out of a commercial for Yu-Gi-Oh cards. However, though she may appear like a frail sheltered heiress, her bad*ssness remains, as demonstrated when she SWATS A BEE, ONE OF THE SCARIEST MOTHERF*CKERS ON EARTH, AND KILLS IT IN ONE SHOT.

Kallen laments other having to hide her awesomeness when she realizes Lelouch was watching her all along. He takes the opportunity to Geass her into an interrogation. Kallen confirms she was the one piloting the Glasgow Knightmare last episode, and when asked why she's a terrorist, she answers it's because she's Japanese, even though she's merely half. Lelouch, satisfied, attempts to use his Geass again to shut her up, only to realize It Only Works Once.

The scene ends with Shirley calling Lelouch and Kallen to class, and Lelouch wondering what's up with his new power. That night, we cut to a Japanese maid (Sayoko Shinozaki, voiced by Kim Mai Guest) talking with Lelouch's sister. They are folding origami cranes while they wait for Lulu to come home. Then Lelouch comes in, warmly greeting the maid and his sister. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Nunnally Lamperouge.

[*sigh* It's so...uguu.]

Nunnally is voiced by Rebecca Forstadt (I can hear the Robotech fandom hissing). Guys, I'm going to be completely honest with you. I don't particularly care for Nunnally. At all. Forstadt's performance does NOT help much, since she's trying way too hard to sound like a little girl (Nunnally is about fourteen). But even then, it's partially not her fault. The character is so generically nice and cute and utterly inoffensive that it's hard to get me to give a sh*t about her.

Somewhere else, we see a mysterious science group discussing the failure of their project. As we can see on the pictures displayed during the conversation, the mysterious woman narrator is involved. In addition, Clovis was more involved than we thought, since now that he's dead, the research division is kaput. Also, if the emperor gets word of this, things will be very bad.

Back at home, Lelouch and Nunnally are eating dinner, the former doting over the latter. They talk about the origami cranes Sayoko was teaching Nunnally to make, the moeblob mentioning the legend of the thousand cranes (made famous by Sadako Sasaki). She continues to be generically and vaguely cute, selflessly claiming that all she want is world peace, and then making a Japanese promise.

Now that we've reached the halfway point, let me talk about my main issue with Nunnally. This scene, in a vacuum, is actually really sweet. Here's the problem; there is no role for Nunnally to play in the story that cannot be filled by Shirley or Sayoko or even Marianne. Nunnally, to put it bluntly, is POINTLESS. When I look at her, I do not see a character. I see a marketing tool calculated to squeeze as much money from moe-loving otaku as humanly possible.

The next day, Lelouch thinks about how he has no instruction manual for his power. He checks to make sure he hasn’t merely lost his power by Geassing a passing teacher into giving him answers to the next exam. (Hey, give this show props for realism). When it doesn’t work the second time, Lelouch takes note and goes on with his life. Elsewhere, Kallen is discussing plans with another rebel while she’s in school. She hates it at Ashford, but her friend insists she get an education, as it would have been what her brother, Naoto, would have wanted. Some behind-the-scenes trivia for you: on the commentary tracks, the staff teased plans to have the deceased Naoto Kozuki play a part in the story. Then plans for the second season changed. Guess what it leads up to in the final product?

[NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!]

Back in class, Kallen begins to grow suspicious over what Lelouch said earlier about Shinjuku. Lelouch catches on, and so their game of cat-and-mouse begins. Meanwhile, Jeremiah makes his attack on Prince Clovis’ funeral carriage. He knows something’s up with the viceroy’s death, and he wants answers, dammit!

At their clubhouse, the student council (and Nunnally) is preparing a surprise/welcome party for Kallen, much to her and Lelouch’s consternation. Milly sets on introducing the rest of the council. We already know about her and Rivalz, but I’ll introduce the girl with glasses and the redhead a bit later. Don’t worry, they get their due. I promise.

After an incident involving attempted underage drinking, Kallen goes off to take a shower. Lelouch knocks on the bathroom door, having brought Kallen a new set of clothes. The two make some idle chat about him and Nunnally living in the clubhouse when Kallen asks Lulu to give her her coin purse. When he does so, she makes her move, grabbing him by the wrist and threatening him at knifepoint over his involvement with Shinjuku. It’s official; Kallen has reached Lisa Lisa levels of awesome.

But Lelouch is just as clever! The phone in the bathroom rings, with the caller at the other end asking for Kallen. She picks it up, only to hear the mysterious man from Shinjuku asking her to rendezvous at Tokyo Tower. For now, Lelouch’s secret is safe, though Kallen’s not so much. The scene ends with Kallen remembering that she is butt naked, and a cut to Sayoko having been Geassed into playing a recorder of Lelouch over the phone.

Lelouch and Kallen walk back to the ballroom, the former educating the latter over the events Milly planned while she was presumably high (A cross-dressers’s ball? Absolute silence party? Swimsuit Day?). When they get there, they learn that word of Clovis’ death has finally reached the public consciousness. Worse, they’ve managed to create a scapegoat- none other than Suzaku Kururugi, who wasn’t even close to the crime scene. The episode ends with Lelouch in shock over his childhood friend being blamed for something he did.

So, yeah, aside from introducing Nunnally and maybe some mood whiplash, this episode isn't half bad. It gives the viewer some time to breath without being a complete and utter waste. There's some character building, relaxing moments, and although I'm not too keen on fanservice, the shower scene with Kallen was actually servicable. Overall, it's a good episode. I can't wait to see more!

What's Nunnally Doing?

Giving the viewers cavities, of course.

NEXT TIME: Next week, I'm posting my Top Ten Tearjerkers since I'm going to be spending that week rewatching Attack on Titan. Expect recaps to return afterwards.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I can understand that, the same way I understand why certain fans don't take well to Renge. I'm a bit more lenient with the Zuka Club because A) they only make one or two more appearances after this and B) they're not entirely evil. For straw feminists, they could be far worse. Also, Stephanie Young. You may have noticed I have a thing for contralto voices in women, and you'll see this again when Cornelia makes her first appearance in Code Geass. (It isn't a coincidence that I'm a huge fan of Keiko Kubota of Kalafina fame.)

You should be careful about what you say about those characters. I saw a guy say the wrong thing to a feminist once. It was a Hugh Mungus mistake.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

You should be careful about what you say about those characters. I saw a guy say the wrong thing to a feminist once. It was a Hugh Mungus mistake.

Oh, don't worry. You'll only get in trouble if you're a straight, white man. 8D

@Akane:

Can't blame you for not caring for Nunnally. She's just.....there. I'm not sure how popular she is even among otaku. I think they prefer C.C. and Kallen, tbh. If they want lolis, there is Anya and there's also the little princess from R2 who was just precious, imho.

Nunnally's such a useless character. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 32