• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love Me Like You Do

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're charitable enough to give this series the surplus of wiggle room that it asks for, you'll find a work that's dated in a rather charming sort of way. Besides the old aspect ration and standard-definition video, the easiest way to tell this show's age is to watch how the characters contact one another. Everyone uses landlines and payphones, and fancy terms like “e-mail” and “text message” are completely missing in action.

I could have sworn Please Teacher was a period piece, much like the rest of Kuroda's Please franchise. Think about it, Please Twins wouldn't have a leg to stand on with DNA testing available. It doesn't help that the third series places Please Teacher at least 10-15 years in the past and that was set several years prior to its production year. It's really hard to tell exactly as Waiting in the Summer really looks like the 70s to me and with Japan, that could be early 90s.

Also, all old aspect ratio TV series in standard definition are dated and quaint and not worth my time. Got it.

My own complaint with the series, and not just past anime in general, a constant critical crutch these days, is that the most interesting aspects of the story have nothing to do with its "My teacher is an alien and also my wife!" plot. I think it would have been a much better series if they could have kept it to asocial student connects with new teacher due to his own personal health and mental conditions while she herself is unattached, concerned about him as her student but uncertain as how to interact with him, especially as she learns about his condition and the fact spoiler[he was born before she was].

Less wacky hijinks, no alien inlaws and in return, we get more time for additional Ichigo. Nothing but wins.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The last few episode of Noragami definitely felt like it was an anime-only affair considering the throw-away antagonist and lack of progression for the characters.
I think the OVAs were manga bonuses (as so many are), and those are often less likely to be licensed. Perhaps Funi will be able to get them for the second season?

The last episodes were anime-original. The anime director said in an interview they chose to focus on Yukine’s arc for that season because its details were vital to understanding the interrelationships between different parties in future arcs, esp. Bishamon’s arc.
Because Bishamon's arc began right after Yukine's arc in the manga, there wasn't really any good stopping point for the anime then, plus he didn't want to rush the Bishamon story. So, the director decided to create an anime-original arc, supervised by Noragami's creators, for season closure which also left the door open for possible sequels. Looking back, I believe history has vindicated his decision.

The manga is very much a story about interrelationships between multiple parties (ie. Gods and humans, gods and gods, gods and phantoms, etc.) and how it affects the characters on a personal level; a lot of character progression comes from there.
Half Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:48 am Reply with quote
I pre-ordered My Little Monster the day it became available -- and also own or have pre-ordered the entire manga run. This series is undoubtedly one of my top favorites and NISA does an outstanding job (as usual).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
About Noragami; what was published first, the anime, or the manga?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
About Noragami; what was published first, the anime, or the manga?

The manga. Unless you mean the English release, in which case I'm not sure.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

For some reason I was under the impression that the manga was just a page for frame drawing of the anime, which was the reason I dropped it at the first volume.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
According to the Encyclopedia here, the manga dates from December 2010 and the anime from January 2014. In any case, they are not identical.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The last few episode of Noragami definitely felt like it was an anime-only affair considering the throw-away antagonist and lack of progression for the characters.

Prior to those airing in Japan, it was announced that the last arc would be anime original. They introduced an anime only character for that arc.

Mohawk52 wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

For some reason I was under the impression that the manga was just a page for frame drawing of the anime, which was the reason I dropped it at the first volume.

Really? I find that surprising. Mainly because, from memory, the first chapter of the manga was never animated. And, that was a 60 page chapter too.
miken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Any shelves that include Monster and 20th Century Boys are shelves that deserve high praise.

on the other hand it contains smallville...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2