• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

So they decided to introduce Kiseki this episode and her relationship with Takeru...Not a pretty sight with her state of being.

I find the balance of the comedy and tense atmosphere to be rather strange. Oh and those Christmas outfits...I think Mari looks cute in them. The ending quote make me curious to see what will happen next time. Kiseki is far from normal in this story so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
They saved the most interesting arc for last it. Seems cool. I hope they won't ruin it with bad pacing.

So Kiseki is something other than a witch? So Suginami noticed that Takeru didn't want to talk about it and just made some stuff up. I liked the conversation Takeru had with Kiseki about how each girl fits into the group. I guess all those rushed arcs were for something at least.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

I want to like Kiseki's character more than I do, except she feels like such an immature grimdark element. This is a problem the show has had all along, but this feels like it's dialed to 11. Still, it's already yielded some interesting moments for Takeru and will hopefully lead to more, so it's not all bad.

Obviously, though, the highlight was the Christmas outfits. I hope I never live to see the day where plot and character development are more important than Santa hats.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Is it just me, or does this feel like something typical of a first episode of a second season? It kind of felt like it followed a lot of the usual traits. We start with a fairly big plot reveal that had been in the background but kind of ignored, this was that his sister was not normal, which maybe could have been snuck in as the last scene of a first season. Second is we have a mission involving all the characters where they off their abilities with their identity that felt like a way to refresh the audience on the characters. And in general we had moments of characters showing how much they have grown from the beginning and it is now time to help him.

Along with all the episodes up to now, it feels like the first eight episodes should have been spread over twelve episodes, this would have made it feel less crammed together and more time with the characters. Episode 9 should have been the fan service centric OVA. And starting from here would be the second season where it comes off of some intrigue built up at the end of the first season. After reintroducing the characters again we would find out there is more to tell, they would probably bring up that elf baby that Suginami created, have another showdown with the villain from earlier, and probably fight the evil organisation. And I don't think I am just being a busy body with saying how I would do it, it feels like a lot of it was written with that in mind for the anime, but they got anxious that they would get permission for a second season, and moved this arc forward to fit it into this season.

All of that aside, this was an interesting episode with the introduction of his sister, I am intrigued with this going forward.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I think this is one of the strongest episodes by far because it didn't have pacing that felt jarring (yet). The only jarring aspect is how the show continuously tries to add light hearted elements to contrast with the more grim stuff. It works a little but it just feels awkward. Also, still not a fan of the repeated boob jokes; it got tiring after the second time. And the other platoon dude who has returned sure has gotten edgy. I wonder what happened to him.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

This series has been rushed a lot but for this arc, it's actually starting to become one of my favorites of the series now. There was minimal comedy in the latest episode and instead focused more on Takeru and Kiseki. The fight was well directed with a good usage of OST. I think they did omit some things as it's impossible to adapt it in a style that is panel by panel. Nonetheless, it was thrilling especially with that ending. And not only that, I think Kyouya needs to calm down a bit. I don't like his role in this show so far unless he changes; unlikely with just one more episode at this point though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Haunted outta nowhere!

This show could have been fantastic if it was 2 cour. Though I'm liking this last arc, I still feel like they are skipping a lot of stuff. They barely showed us Takeru's and Kiseki's backstory, that could have easily been 1/2 or 1 episode. And we don't know much about Valhalla or that student who has a stick up his arse.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
episode eleven

I'm rather disappointed in the direction the story took. I was really hoping for more out of the Takeru and Kiseki dynamic, but Takeru's character remains unchallenged. While the next episode would seem to leave the dilemma intact it also seems to be setting up a get out of moral jail free card for Takeru, so I now expect further disappointment.

The action sequences were cool though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Now that this is almost over, it's starting to get a little interesting. Seems like the whole curse thing could have been nipped in the bud if the Kusanagi men could've just kept it in their pants or become monks. Sure that ends their clan, but small price to pay for saving the whole world.

I suspect Watery or whatever her name is will turn out to be Lolipop Boobs' daughter.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Haunted outta nowhere!

This show could have been fantastic if it was 2 cour. Though I'm liking this last arc, I still feel like they are skipping a lot of stuff. They barely showed us Takeru's and Kiseki's backstory, that could have easily been 1/2 or 1 episode. And we don't know much about Valhalla or that student who has a stick up his arse.

At least this volume is getting 3 episodes instead of 2. I mean that has to count for something I guess. Too bad its still rushed. On the bright side at least the show reached the part of the LN where the series really picked up for me. Not that it means much when the odds of this getting a 2nd season are probably slim to none but I can hope. Sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
It does feel like the best it has been, and probably been better if they had the time instead of this being the second last episode or so, and maybe ushered in a better second half. Just guessing, but that elf eared girl we are seeing is the Suginami's daughter, right? That is not going to have closer with what time they have left.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
The whole rushing the series thing has left a major confusion with Kyoya -- what exactly happened to him and Yoshimizu after that attack during Mari's arc? Did Yoshimizu die? Why is Kyoya blaming Kusenagi? I assume he's blaming Mari (and all witches) for the loss of his team but I really wished we had more clearance on this issue.

Anyways, this My Little Sister is am Eldrich Abomination arc has been pretty good. Aside from Kyoya being a complete douche, that is. The fight was good though short lived but the ending made everything 10x better. While they're trying to paint Kiseki as a tragic character with minimal details, it has been working out for me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I found out the show was a 1 cour, my expectations went down the drain and died. The final arc did save the show somewhat but still messy in terms of adaptation and all the rushing.

They cut so much and added filler content. Although surprisingly, I am impressed by what Silver Link did with the action and in particular the OST (release date when). The final arc was also surprisingly entertaining compared to the other acs. But overall, this show was a mess with the storytelling, lack of character dynamics, and awkward comedy.

So I guess Takeru wanted to handle everything by himself in the end even though his friends wanted to carry the burden for him. They did a decent job with portraying the despair of the finale though especially with the voice acting. Still, meh show. Below average for me.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
episode twelve

So... is Haunted dead, or what? I feel like they rushed on too quick from Takeru's finisher to the next thing to really say. I'm going to hope so - Haunted was an annoying villain, and not in a good way. His powers, power level and appearances all felt like narrative conveniences rather than anything coherent. His motivations weren't exactly clear, either. His fights weren't even all that interesting.

Speaking of confusing, so... the whole soul eating element of the Relic Eater. Is that an all-or-nothing gambit where if he stops needing the power before it devours his soul he gets to keep it or is he now missing a chunk of his soul?

And they did totally cheap out of the whole Kiseki deathwish thing, just not quite in the way I thought they might. Arg!

I struggle for good things to say about the series, at this point.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall ever seeing the word "pussy" in a subtitle before. I wonder what Japanese phrase they translated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7