• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JASRAC Asks YouTube to Improve Anti-Piracy Measures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matteas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I hope that it is impossible to remove all the videos from YT and that people will still upload anime. I envy you people from US. Now, the only way I can watch anime will be by torrents probably. In US, you sure have the bilingual version in videolibraries, haven't you? I wish I didn't born in retarded country that Czech Republic for sure is. Crying or Very sad
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
almost impossible to prevent user to upload pirated materials. the system has no way to know what materail is on those video. the only way is to hire some people to check all the newly uploaded file.

Problem is, with the sheer amount of videos being uploaded to Youtube every day, getting enough people to check around the clock will be about impossible, nevermind getting people to check through the obscene amount of videos that already exist.

I hate to say it, but short of wiping Youtube clean and completely resetting it, I don't think there's any really effective way to get the piracy/fansub issue under control. Especially when you consider the fact that a lot of people will take a video they just saw on Youtube and re-upload it themselves several times over (Rozen Maiden: Ouverture opening and the Kramer meltdown, anyone?), creating in some cases dozens of duplicates of one piece of video.

Basically, short of tearing the whole site down and rebuilding it (which in itself is only a temporary solution, as given Youtube's popularity, pirated stuff will make it back on there en masse at some point), hate to say that they're pretty much stuck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
there still bit torrent Twisted Evil

Yes...yes there is. With the recent news that One Piece has been canceled in the States (even though it was unwatchable) where esle am I going to watch it? I'd pay a fee if I had to to see the fansubbed version but alas no such thing truly exists.

I'm waiting on that one person to come and say buy legimite dvs but i don't hve $50 to drop on 2 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I've been thinking, one quick way to solve the problem with JASRAC is just to block all Japanese IPs. Not exactly nice, but maybe it'll cause some kinda protest among Japanese users that'll force the industry to make their own video sharing model that works for them. I heard somewhere that there's already some sorta Yahoo Japan video sharing thing that's legit.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
JASRAC is really putting the moves down, but it won't prevent people from still uploading pirated material. If they can't do it on youtube, they're sure bound to go seomwhere else. People always find a way to do things.
ChikaraFire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
oftentimes users who do get banned will just come back and keep at it as well
and i agree that they should focus on episodes first, taking AMVs down when one can watch the whole series instead seems... stupid Confused
there seems little way to police the uploads either, when easily ten people upload the same video in the span of a few days, or a day Rolling Eyes

also it is an effective marking tool, i know i would have never even looked at some series if the first bit at least hadn't been free or very low cost at least Embarassed Confused
WEKS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Is there a place I can ”report” websites for this kind of thing? I know of a website which not only has streaming videos of fansubs but also of long licensed shows like Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion etc. they are also asking money "for high quality versions" of the videos, and you can buy "download quota" so that you can download the streaming videos. Now that just can’t be legal? Right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
WEKS wrote:
Is there a place I can ”report” websites for this kind of thing? I know of a website which not only has streaming videos of fansubs but also of long licensed shows like Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion etc. they are also asking money "for high quality versions" of the videos, and you can buy "download quota" so that you can download the streaming videos. Now that just can’t be legal? Right?

No it's not legal...Now if you actually buy these downloads of pay for higher quality then you are dumb since you can get them for free off bit torrents. I don't know if you can "report" these sites anywhere though.
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
You can probably report them to the US companies with the license to the show. US companies seem to take a lot more action than Japanese companies when it comes to episodes online.

At this point, Youtube is starting to resemble the early incarnation of Napster. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years it gets hit with some major law suits.

As for those saying Youtube helps support series, that's utter bull, especially when it's the US versions up on it. Why buy the DVDs or watch it on TV when it'll be on Youtube anytime you want? Now I'm no saint, as I download my share of fansubs of new series, but at least I watch them on TV and buy the DVDs when they're out in the US.
Gage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The companies just want their money. I wrote a small article about this and how even if YouTube follows through with the recommendations by JASRAC there will be plenty of other sources for this "material" including Google Video, though most anime related stuff lie within AMVs. You can download a program which you can search for videos on that and still be able to view them for free.

Secondly, though you still won't see the action, you can read online reviews and stay up-to-date by reading Anime magazines including Anime Insider and, of course, Newtype USA and also the manga magazines. All in all you have plenty of sources if you want coverage of a series.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
I really wish JASRAC and all those companies in Japan would realize the free marketing potential of Youtube. Like CBS, Warner Music, OK GO and Panic at the Disco have. Even if it means getting on Youtube and posting the stuff themselves like CBS does.

I have a slightly different thought here: maybe it was not the content provider / creator / broadcaster that were angry about fansub and other recorded video, but their sponsors and advertisers instead. While fansubs and such could act as "free advertising" for the series, commercials in the middle (and sometimes after OP and before the show starts) were often edited out, and advertisers paid channel providers for the time but got absolutely nothing in return. If I were them I'd be more mad than those animators who got their work fansubbed -- at very least they got popularity (if the series is successful).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
You can probably report them to the US companies with the license to the show. US companies seem to take a lot more action than Japanese companies when it comes to episodes online.

At this point, Youtube is starting to resemble the early incarnation of Napster. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years it gets hit with some major law suits.

As for those saying Youtube helps support series, that's utter bull, especially when it's the US versions up on it. Why buy the DVDs or watch it on TV when it'll be on Youtube anytime you want? Now I'm no saint, as I download my share of fansubs of new series, but at least I watch them on TV and buy the DVDs when they're out in the US.

There are alot of licensed show up but there are also a lot of unlicensed shows up that may or may not get licensed so no its not utter bull. It's pretty much up to the person if he will or will not buy an anime after it is licensed over here, if they watched it on You Tube. I use many sources to check up on series You Tube being one I use for about 40 % of the time (unless it's on my "cleaning" days where I delete all the licensed material on my computer so I have more space to download) so I hope it doesn't get shut down. I give back to the anime market though I know not everyone does...unfortunately.

Gage wrote:
Secondly, though you still won't see the action, you can read online reviews and stay up-to-date by reading Anime magazines including Anime Insider and, of course, Newtype USA and also the manga magazines. All in all you have plenty of sources if you want coverage of a series.

This is true but I rather see a few episodes myself then read about others opinions about it, though if it gets really good articles I might just buy it. But I find watching one or two episodes (if licensed) or the whole series (if unlicensed) works good for me and I have not been disappointed with anything in my collection. Yes I know not everyone does that but I don't want to lose this just cause theres a bunch of bums that don't give back to the anime market (and most likely any market they take from).
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there someway for anime companies and the like to treat YT like a tv channel. Give them licenses to air the vid and then we'll pay you to ad money or something?

I don't know how that whole business thing works, but I'm sure that the people who run their movie trailers on youtube aren't doing it for free. Surely some anime companies can follow suit.

I heard that the Scary Movie 4 film only sold as much as it did because people were able to see the full 1:30 minute trailer on YT, when they wanted, and they could send it to friends who then saw it, and you could upload it to your myspace or xanga (if you're 30), and so on and so on.

And what better way to check the ratings of your anime? There's a view count right at the bottom of the vid and they can real-time check the popularity of the anime that is being viewed instead of dumb polls and such. Not only that, but the comments at the bottom can show immediate fan response (crucial to first episodes IMO).

It's easy enough to see if one video is garnering 70,000 views a day and then someone can go, hey! that vid is more popular than half of the cartoons/shows(?) we’re running. Let’s grab that and make a profit off of advertising.

But alas some execs are blind, deaf, and dumb.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
But, from what I thought happened is that the stations are paying the distributors for the priviledge of showing the program and making profits off revenue generated from the ads and special pricing deals. "Giving" the tv station a license to air is not part of the plan. Besides, YouTube is generating popularity because of their content that they are not paying for which they can convert to income..

Reality is reality. There are people out there who are watching the stuff and not buying R1s. The R2s that are on cable or satellite channels are not being paid for either by non R2 viewers at the time of broadcast. That's lost income.

Besides, there are 2 international treaties that are on the side of JASRAC. So, they need to pay up or remove it. If they can't get their act together, then sue them. They've made deals with the MPAA. Now it's time to deal with the JASRAC.

From the JASRAC announcement, YouTube probably won't have that much time left before they sue. 11 days to respond is pretty harsh imo.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
A couple of things.

1st: YouTube removes all the stuff owned by the Japanese. Like it had been removing copyrighted material from other companies in the US and abroad. This will literally destroy YouTube since all that will be left are a bunch of retards and camwhores.

2nd: Because of that "We Want Everything Free Free Free" mentality that was started by the internet, a lot of money had been lost and the so-called idea of "fandom" had been killed because people won't shell out their collective cashflow for something they really like.

Being the "Devil's Advocate" that I am; the entertainment industry here and there should seriously stop creating shows that are mostly garbage. Don't wave the gun around when you're promoting something that can easily go straight to the garbage can. JAPANANIME. SUNRISE.

Besides, I don't think anybody (especially large corporation) should restrict anybody else from getting what you have. I think YouTube is still an awesome website. And everything is happening because everybody wants their dues paid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4