• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Season of Sailor Moon Crystal's Spring Premiere, New Staff Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Most looking forward to Kaolinite and W5's handling though. ♥
Fun as they were in Classic, they deserve to be characters of their own instead of Tomoe's lovesick lackeys. (One problem Classic had was making every female character except our lesbians obsessed with dudes.)

Huh?

Only Kaolinite 2.0 could be considered lovesick for Tomoe - Mimete was lovesick, but not for Tomoe - he had a very professional relationship with the Witches 5, hell him and Eudial only ever interacted over the phone.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Huh?

Only Kaolinite 2.0 could be considered lovesick for Tomoe - Mimete was lovesick, but not for Tomoe - he had a very professional relationship with the Witches 5, hell him and Eudial only ever interacted over the phone.

There were a few scenes of them giving each other crap over him or swooning over him somewhere else.

And either way, Kaolinite wasn't allowed to be a villain in her own right compared to how she was in the manga. Even Myu had her be more individualistic and keep most of her abilities. She became really generic in Classic. I found the W5 fun at least, but Kaolinite was an entire loss in Classic. She had no reason to be there except be mean to Hotaru, and then later make eyes at Tomoe.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

I freely admit to blocking a lot of the Witches 5 stuff out, but I seem to recall that all of the ladies bickered and fought with each other over becoming top dog, and not because of ambition or wanting to excel. Their schemes seemed to revolve around "rise in ranks" = "becoming Tomoe's top assistant", emphasis on being closer to Tomoe.

Kaolinite was the most obvious, but Mimete scheming to murder Kaolinite for her position didn't help. And everyone else died so quickly, we never got to see if their motivations differed. :/
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:
It's Toei; cheap badly animated cash ins on their big IPS has been their thing for a couple years now. (Aside from SMC, see Dragonball Super & Saint Seiya Omega)

Also One Piece & Saint Seiya Soul of Gold.

Difference being Soul of Gold actually had a decent team of writers and the God Clothes looked gorgeous when they had to, so it kind of compensated for the miserable budget. Crystal had godawful writing and the attack and transformation sequences were ugly as sin.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:
It's Toei; cheap badly animated cash ins on their big IPS has been their thing for a couple years now. (Aside from SMC, see Dragonball Super & Saint Seiya Omega)

Also One Piece & Saint Seiya Soul of Gold.

Difference being Soul of Gold actually had a decent team of writers and the God Clothes looked gorgeous when they had to, so it kind of compensated for the miserable budget. Crystal had godawful writing and the attack and transformation sequences were ugly as sin.

To be fair the writers and directors of SMC had some pretty big shoes to fill.

The 3 original directors from Sailor Moon went on to make stuff like Princess Tutu, Utena, Ouran, Sgt. Frog, Penguin Drum & Soul Eater. And going through the team of writers shows they had some amazing talent there too. Those guys worked on Escaflowne, Evangelion, the Arislan OAV, FLCL, Redline, Creamy Mami, Kimagure Orange Road & Macross: DYRL in addition to most the works above. The SMC writers and directors are B team rookies by comparison.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
There is a black and white picture in the wild showing the new visual and designs for the outers. I think they look good overall, hair for Neptune and Hotaru I'll need to see a better color picture of, but I think I'll like it when we see more of it, especially animated. Uranus a bit feminine to me, but still works.

Picture source: New Visual
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
^And here it is in better quality.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
There is a black and white picture in the wild showing the new visual and designs for the outers. I think they look good overall, hair for Neptune and Hotaru I'll need to see a better color picture of, but I think I'll like it when we see more of it, especially animated. Uranus a bit feminine to me, but still works.

Picture source: New Visual

It does look nice, though I don't know how to read Uranus yet. But, I wouldn't mind if they handle her like she was in the manga. Seeing as she seems to be gender fluid, I don't them going back and forth a bit in the presentation of her gender.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else feel like it seems simpler and rounder? Not by much, mind you, but I'm all for anything that makes the show easier to animate.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

The new character designer was animation director for the episodes that Studio Dub had worked on (Acts 10, 14, 18, 22, 26) and I recall people crapping on the animation for those episodes too.

If that's the case, we may be screwed...

Looking at the new art style, it looks better than season 1/2's but not by much...Hotaru's face looks off. Sad
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

It's ok he can always give the outers boyfriends to give them more personality and character development... >.> Still salty...

Um, if that happened, people may be like: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZI7Wb8zmQHI/Tgnbb4NXe9I/AAAAAAAAAB4/hT1Ag2cyyVg/s1600/sailor+moon+angry.jpg...

@whiskeyii

The manga pretty much IMO had the Inners just there again, and to be honest, Hotaru being a cyborg, while maybe it was an opportunity to have Naoko have one of the Sailors be one (Ami was going to be one originally), to me, it unfortunately adds nothing.

@1dbad

True, then again, Masako and Megumi are in their fifties...if that's the case (where they don't return or choose not to), then I hope Uranus and Neptune get other great VAs. I also glimpsed at Aya Hisakawa's Lyfia in Saint Seiya Soul of Gold (looks way better than Crystal), and while she did a good job there, I don't think she'd be able to do Ami's voice again (unless it was maybe an older Ami, which may never happen) as it's gotten deeper. Luckily Hisako does a great imitation. To me, Ami Kochimizu as Jupiter is OK, but sounds too much as Cure Melody. I don't care for Rina as Mars or Shizuka as Venus.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

I freely admit to blocking a lot of the Witches 5 stuff out, but I seem to recall that all of the ladies bickered and fought with each other over becoming top dog, and not because of ambition or wanting to excel. Their schemes seemed to revolve around "rise in ranks" = "becoming Tomoe's top assistant", emphasis on being closer to Tomoe.

Kaolinite was the most obvious, but Mimete scheming to murder Kaolinite for her position didn't help. And everyone else died so quickly, we never got to see if their motivations differed. :/

Mimete murdered Eudial, not Kaolinite, and it was basically because she wanted to be the head of the Witches 5... ugh, 4, she never showed any romantic interest in the Professor (though, she might have changed her mind had his face not been covered in shadow all the time), though she did usually show romantic interest in her targets, and typically chose them for that reason.

As for their wanting to excel, Mimette did kill Eudial under the pretense that she kept failing, ironically after she discovered the Guardians identities, and probably came the closest of any villain in the series to outright winning.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Anyone else feel like it seems simpler and rounder? Not by much, mind you, but I'm all for anything that makes the show easier to animate.

I like it! It's a much better halfway point between the old designs and Naoko's drawings and for once there are no glaring wonky anatomy errors. Some of those covers for the LE's in Japan... I could find a teenager on Deviantart who could draw better than this

manapear wrote:
It does look nice, though I don't know how to read Uranus yet. But, I wouldn't mind if they handle her like she was in the manga. Seeing as she seems to be gender fluid, I don't them going back and forth a bit in the presentation of her gender.

Idk as a gay woman Naoko's dealing with Uranus in the manga bothered me; they introduced Haruka as male for a long time and it kind of came off as saying 'gay women are like men'. I liked her in the OG anime a lot better she was mostly boyish but had a lot of vulnerability to her. In the manga she was straight up hard butch.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to judge whether it looks good or not given the size of the picture, and it's impossible to know if the new artwork means the show itself will look good. I actually liked the first Crystal Visual Key, in spite of its odd proportions, I thought it looked great, and the show still looked like crap. From this key visual I'll say the new style looks a little better but Haruka and Michiru's eyes look like they're too low on their faces, which is not a good indication
Manwards

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
I really couldn't get past the dreadful animation in Crystal. I'm not an animation buff by any stretch of the imagination, but some episodes were distractingly bad; not just in the way characters were drawn but in the way fight scenes were choreographed, and individual shots flowed together.

The battle between spoiler[Usagi and Endymion] towards the end of the first arc made it see like both characters were teleporting around and randomly speeding up or slowing down with no regards to the pacing or internal logic of the scene. At one point, the spoiler[holy sword] was dropped at one character's feet, and then picked up at the other character's feet, despite them being several meters apart. spoiler[Endymion's] arms even appeared to stretch, Dhalsim-style, at one point, and I'm certain that none of these things were intended.

If I were enjoying the story or characters underneath then I would have carried on, but I can't say I was. The other girls spent the majority of their time propped up on one elbow, whimpering "Our powers are useless!", and they never found time to portray the girls as being true friends, or having personality beyond their initial character traits. You could say that's true of the manga, too, but the manga also had a very fast pace. Stretching each chapter into a 25-minute episode had the bizarre effect of making some things feel rushed and others feel elongated.

I, like everyone else, loves Uranus and Neptune, so I'll give this new series a chance. I don't expect everything to be animated to KyoAni levels, but I just don't see why Toei didn't put any effort into many of the scenes. You have brand new studios like Troyca turning out Sakurako-san, with its beautiful backgrounds and expressive faces, and yet a studio with a 50-year history can't spare some decent animators to hit a twice-a-month deadline, at least twice as long as any other TV anime?

Oh, and I'm not bothered about them replacing voice actors - new show, new cast, that's fine - but I hope they consider Megumi Ogata for Uranus again. She's still very active in the industry, from what I can tell, and she's literally the perfect choice to play her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4