• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Azumanga Daioh Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Haha omfg. I just bought a used set of this series, its in perfect condition though. It was btw pretty cheap as well Razz Only 20 euro(24 dollar) xD.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
wrong, Chrono Crusade, Pani Pony Dash, and Jinki Extend where all former ADV titles that Funimation re-licensed some years back

Different circumstances with those, while Chrono Crusade was a straight rescue, Pani Poni Dash & Jinki Extend were part of the Sojitz deal/debacle.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is a nice surprise, lol. Good that its re-releasing again, shame no OVA, but that's alright, I guess. Now if Sentai (or whoever) can re-release Cromartie High School, then that would be awesome. (Cause you gotta have a balance of comedies like that, you know! Wink)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Sweet I can finely get this
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I have the non-thinpak release that includes the short movie, so no need to buy this one since it doesn't have it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
This is honestly suprising to me. I just assumed that Sentai absorbed all of ADVs licenses. Save the FMP series that Funi got.

From this 2009 ANN article:

Quote:
Update 4: According to Anime Corner Store owner Robert Brown, former ADV Films Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing Mike Bailiff will now head up Sales and Marketing at SXION 23 (Section 23). Brown reports that SXION 23 has all of ADV's former licenses and most of its staff, but not ADV's former owner John Ledford.

Now obviously that's excluding the 30-odd ADV titles that had already been transferred to Funi in 2008, but it's also outdated info after this many years simply because anime licenses are typically only good for a limited time and need to be renewed periodically, unless the distributor actually has some kind of ownership stake in the series that gives them perpetual rights to it. So it's probably safe to assume that Azumanga Daioh's license expired at some point in the past, and this is it now being picked up again. In essence no different than Discotek recently releasing Ghost Stories, which was another former ADV title that must have seen its license expire.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
It's great to hear they- well, anyone really- got the show back into print. But I'd rather not see it on BD- 1) It's an early digital animated effort with wide smeared color in SD so I don't think looking at the show with a magnifying glass would be the best of ideas and 2) The fewer episodes per disk for this show, the better; They run into each other as it is and I have a had time finding particular episodes spread over my 5 DVDs but with 3 BDs- or two-, it'd be "episode roulette" every time.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
To quote Osaka: "Oh my God!"

Squee! I'd borroowed the first disc from the library but I never got around to buying the series, so I'll do that when I get some extra money.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Have heard a lot of good things, and it does sound like a series I'd enjoy. May end up blind buying this one.
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they won't decide to re-dub it. The first time was the best. And funny. Such a silly show.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: Sentai Filmworks confirmed with ANN that the license does not include the Azumanga Daioh - The Very Short Movie OVA. ADV Films released the short as an extra on its sixth and final DVD set for the series, as well as its 2008 complete series set.

Very crucial info. Get those old copies at Rightstuf and ebay while you still can!
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Now I can finally add it to my collection.
Unlike in the states, Azumanga Daioh isn't remembered very clearly among anime communities in Japan. It'd be nice to show it to some of my friends so they understand what I'm joking about. lol
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Have heard a lot of good things, and it does sound like a series I'd enjoy. May end up blind buying this one.

Normally I don't recommend that, but here you can't go wrong:
Like Tenchi was the "founding" harem series, AzD was the "founding" oddball-schoolgirl-conversation comedy, long before Lucky Star or Yuyushiki.
But unlike Lucky Star, much more sophisticated and quirky humor than talking about snacks, and with an offbeat dialed-down deadpan instead of moe cuteness.

(Or as I liked to put it, "Imagine if Charles Schulz wrote an anime, and turned the Peanuts gang into high-school girls..."
Tomo could out-bossy/crazy Lucy on any good day, and by the third episode of Sakaki trying to pet the cat, you will be put in mind of poor Charlie Brown and his kite.)

FMPhoenixHawk wrote:
Hopefully they won't decide to re-dub it. The first time was the best. And funny. Such a silly show.

Don't think Sentai's in the position to redub; would make more sense that they'd pretty much go with the classic ADV dub they already own.
Which is one of their best: We may each have our favorite Osaka, but Mandy Clark and Luci Christian ARE Tomo and Ms. Yukari, in ways the original Japanese voices can never be.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Great that they're re-releasing this awesome series, but I own the ADV set which I found second-hand at a shop for only $30 a few years ago. Considering that a BD would only be an upscale and that it doesn't include the bonus short, there's little incentive for me to re-buy it.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Amazing rescue. I was gonna shell a ton to find the best condition artbox for the series. But I'll definitely support this.

Agree with EricJ2, this show started the phenomenon for a reason. It was quirky yet charmful. The last part most modern titles seem to lack, and no its not nostalgia glasses.

Now I want Sentai to rescue the big brother of odd ball school comedies. CROMARTIE HIGH SCHOOL. I'll be waiting, *humming*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3