• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IBM Japan Reveals Sword Art Online Virtual Reality MMO Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
Are you kidding me? This is a series whose premise is that this technology could create a societal crisis if the technology became widespread, and they used a fictional MMO for that. And now they've designed something resembling (but not quite) that technology and making exactly that MMO?

This is like people watching the Jurassic Park movies and trying to genetically clone dinosaurs without any of the safeguards that should be there, or the whimsical candy company full of hazards issuing out golden tickets inviting lucky guests to come in (though they've already done that for real with Wonka bars), or someone deciding they'll try to cure Alzheimer's disease without first checking if it'll make other apes super-intelligent and resentful of humans.

v1cious wrote:
Just to be mean, they should remove the Logout button during the first hour of launch.

I would laugh for so long if they actually did that. Or have the actual real-life creator introduce players to the game, and THEN remove the Logout button, then he'll say they can't leave the game.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
The way I look at this is that this is a step in the right direction toward full-dive. This most likely is not full-dive because it was not advertised so and I'm pretty sure someone would have made mention of it by now if it were.

Progress is needed for advancement. You cannot expect something to magically appear without some type of steps. That's like imagining an analog phone to jump to a smartphone over night. It took decades of research and development, trial and error, and better technologies worldwide to get it going.

My major concern at this point is how this will work with so many differing internet speeds. Since over 2 million in the U.S. still use dial-up internet (56k) and many more using some sort of DSL/Cable/Satellite internet with less than 5Mbps, I am concerned that these people will have issues playing this game at all.

I'm expecting it to send out and receive massive amounts of information, which a lot of ISPs may not like (some even have caps and charge when in excess). This is also a major barrier for future full-dive technologies.

To be honest, I want this technology to exist ASAP, but realistically, I don't know when the world will be prepared to handle it. Maybe once we rid ourselves of our caps and have an average internet speed over 50Mbps?

Let's just hope for the best at this point.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
This isn't even close to a technology like Full Dive, so don't get your hopes up.

Just because it isn't Full Dive technology, doesn't mean it can't still be a fun VR experience.

The mind is easily tricked, and current VR technology has already achieved a sense of "presence". If you're standing over the edge of a virtual cliff, your meat space body really does feel like it's about to fall off of something.

I never tried VR for myself, but I've read a lot about it & how it works.
thomas8166

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
I'm still scratching my head as to why IBM would want to be associated with the possible creation of a supposed game of death. Confused
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Backed by IBM eh? That should lead to some interesting breakthroughs, they have always been on the forefront of technology so this is getting my IT side super excited.

But then my gaming/anime side of me slaps the IT side for getting excited about the wrong parts and then throws money at IBM.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Are you kidding me? This is a series whose premise is that this technology could create a societal crisis if the technology became widespread, and they used a fictional MMO for that. And now they've designed something resembling (but not quite) that technology and making exactly that MMO?

This is like people watching the Jurassic Park movies and trying to genetically clone dinosaurs without any of the safeguards that should be there, or the whimsical candy company full of hazards issuing out golden tickets inviting lucky guests to come in (though they've already done that for real with Wonka bars), or someone deciding they'll try to cure Alzheimer's disease without first checking if it'll make other apes super-intelligent and resentful of humans.
Meh, this is still within the realm of being sensible. The NSA has an actual program named SKYNET, which is their metadata machine learning software that determines whether to execute theoretical foreign terrorists. THAT is a bad idea.
scchan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:
Backed by IBM eh? That should lead to some interesting breakthroughs, they have always been on the forefront of technology so this is getting my IT side super excited.

But then my gaming/anime side of me slaps the IT side for getting excited about the wrong parts and then throws money at IBM.

IBM been pushing quite hard for the commercialization of Watson. I guess if video games and VR are possibilities, it would not mind to try. I do have to say gaming doesn't traditionally get associated with IBM, but then Microsoft was at one stage like that.

If there is one thing, MMO worlds have traditionally been "static" between update, and any on-the-fly changes to the game world is players build something into the game world. It is hard to do a real self-evolving MMO world in which NPCs and the world will think and react in an automatic manner to player action. Watson is state-of-the-art AI right now.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Folks commenting on this being Full-Dive, or even close to Full-Dive, are highly ignorant of the technology that is needed to achieve Full-Dive. It's hard to say just how far away it is because tech like this can springboard sometimes, but suffice to say that we are a fairly decent ways off from there right now, more than a decade, probably more than two, to get someplace like SAO.

As for the cost, companies are already looking at ways of offsetting the cost of jumping into VR by negating the need to necessarily buy a whole new computer. I believe Lenovo and Intel have projects in the works that are essentially add-on boxes - sort of like professional/database series graphics engines in their own dedicated box that you can just plug into your PC to give it the computational boost needed to drive VR tech. Would still likely cost in the area of a new Wii U at least, but would be a much more attainable financial goal than the Mac Pro level cost a good VR machine is starting to run towards.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Meh, this is still within the realm of being sensible. The NSA has an actual program named SKYNET, which is their metadata machine learning software that determines whether to execute theoretical foreign terrorists. THAT is a bad idea.

Don't worry--I wasn't that clear about it, but I was joking. Well, half-joking.

In all seriousness, science fiction like this serves as good warning to people who are trying to develop that technology...at least if they're familiar with those stories. All those killer-AI stories have resulted in roboticists and computer programmers working harder to ensure they won't go rogue.
iggymcb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I just had heard this is not a real news story Crying or Very sad
Was really hoping it was true, but I found on reddit that it was not. If anyone can actually prove this to be real news I'd love to see it confirmed.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
iggymcb wrote:
I just had heard this is not a real news story Crying or Very sad
Was really hoping it was true, but I found on reddit that it was not. If anyone can actually prove this to be real news I'd love to see it confirmed.
If you could prove that it isn't, I think ANN would be interested in amending the story.
iggymcb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
http://www.roadtovr.com/sorry-internet-the-sword-art-online-vr-mmo-isnt-real/

This is one of the few sources that I had found. There is no doubt in my mind that someone will make this eventually though. I would like to just see an actual vrmmo.
Tho it's early into the vr gen, I'd say give this some time and we will see something like it. Be it a fan made or an actual Sao game we will get it eventually. [/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3