• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Free! Eternal Summer + OVA BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limabeanicecream

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Once you use "slang" in a localization you are marking that title to age terribly. I want to be able to go back and watch a dub of an anime ten years later and still think it's fine.

Thank you for this post. You eloquently summed up all of the issues with the dub that I and many others had. It just came out and it's already vintage.

We can only pray kyoani does some kind of moneygrab re-release far in the future with new scenes and someone else picks it up to pull a Escaflowne kickstarter.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer has made some good points about the dub, but I guess some of the fans associated more the characters' personalities with their original VAs. For example, Free! was dubbed in our native language here in the Philippines, and while the script was almost as literally close as possible to the Japanese and the voices are ok, I just can't help feeling that there were certain nuances in the characters that were gone.

Cait wrote:
“I wanna know what it feels like to kick your ass.”

And this was said by Makoto, who in the Japanese version has always sounded polite, even during spoiler[his fight with Haruka].

CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Again, KyoAni, please do not lose your self in such triva again i hope at least you will only fall into such pools once and not twice .. and I thank the gods there will probably not be another go around and they can get back to good works of the future.

Sorry if I'm derailing the topic, but what exactly do you perceive to be "good works" that KyoAni should "go back to"? With above average visuals and light storytelling, Free! is an understandable addition to KyoAni's portfolio. It is however still their only series primarily targeted for females...
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I meant to respond to your earlier comment about Sosuke and spoiler[the way he ends the series without finding a dream]. At first I was bothered by that too, but then I realized that it was similar to an experience I had involving breaking my ankle in four places and having to retire from modern dance. [...] it was a horrible time and it took a while to first accept that my health had to come first and then that this just wasn't going to be my life anymore. If he had been shown coming to a firm decision, I don't think we'd have seen how much emotional toll his storyline took on him. That's why I wish the movie was a sequel rather than a prequel - I respect how they chose to end his part of the plot, but I'd like to see him emotionally recover later on.

(Why whenever I'm away from the Internet I take forever to respone to people? Anime cry)

Thank you so much for sharing your story Rebecca! I am 100% in agreement that while frustrating, it's was important for the series to address the issue of pushing yourself too hard without ruining the emotional/physical repercutions. Honestly I'm glad Free! did such a great job conveying such relatable topics associated with youth including young athletes. I can't say anthying about the prequel film but, I wished there was some form of continuation. Actually, it seems like Starting Days didn't perfom well in the theater compared to other KyoAni movies so, who knows if an honest to goodness Olympic film is possible.

Oooh my biggest complaint was hearing Makoto curse and the random "man" insertions. Outside of 50% off (which, in context, was hilarious) that was the most OOC moment in the entire dub. It's like JYB was channelling Izaya for no reason.
Confused

Not sure what to do with my box set towel, I don't want to get it wet or stained. Maybe I'll frame it for safe keeping. Laughing
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:24 am Reply with quote
Well probably going to regret giving my two cent but, eh what the hell. Rolling Eyes

Let get the elephant in the room out of the way, the dub. It's fine in my opinion. I can see why have issues with; inserting of "dude"words, certain casting yeah yeah yeah. Honestly I watch it and really didn't pay attention to the script change I just watch the show. And when I compared the dubs of season one and two I couldn't tell the difference. My top 3 actors in the dub were Bosch, Mignogna, and Tatum. I thought Bosch understood Makoto inside and out, I felt Mignogna handled the cooky part fine but handle the emotional side better than I thought, and while Tatum could go into unhinged sometimes I never got bored watching him.

Now that that's done, onto the actual show. Very Happy
It's odd, I had heard this show from a friend and while it looked intersecting the only thing that I really cared about the uproar it caused with Kyoto Animation fanboys crying foul! Then the was the uproar of the dub (again fun to read the forums.) Any was I finally gave in when Crunchyroll got its dub and found myself sucked in. Something I really want to give this season is something that while a regular topic for high school anime I enjoy this interpenetration, deal with life past high school and dealing with change, as well as something you love get twisted by the world around you. This season I can say I cared a lot more about Haru than season one, while I can't relate to it I had a friend who went to something similar and this anime brought back flashbacks. And while this season focused a bit more on the class 3 students and drama, I felt it didn't forget the other character. In particular I liked episode 5 and the little incite it gave to Nagisa (I thought he was fine in season one, but this really made me care about the character) and episode 3 showing how much Rei has grow to love being a swim club member and show hi resolve.

I can't say that the Free! franchise is an amazing so I agree with the rating, but I can say I a happily own the second season (and should a DVD/Blu-Ray of season 1 come out I'll get that too) and will gladly watch this series many more time in the future. Very Happy Laughing
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
limabeanicecream wrote:

Thank you for this post. You eloquently summed up all of the issues with the dub that I and many others had. It just came out and it's already vintage.

Unfortunately I didn't touch on all of the issues I had with this dub. Beyond the things I posted about already: the consistent removal of all the emotional subtlety from the original Japanese; the deliberate use of the NO HOMO "bro-speak" to alienate its core fangirl fanbase; and the mis-characterization of the series protagonist, warping Haruka's adorable quirks into something altogether unpleasant and portraying his emotional journey through the lens of an insensitive jackass.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
One area I feel the dub gets weak in is the removal of the English-Japanese language barrier in the Sydney episode, which I felt was an integral part of the episode.

Not to mention that in the Japanese track, Mamoru Miyano gets to show off his spoken English (and it doesn't sound too bad either). Much better than that Five girl's Engrish from Terror in Resonance.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:
Funimation's insistence that every dub they produce must fit Western tastes is flawed and outdated.
Is that why they have people in the Basilisk and Samurai 7 dubs using totally Western titles like -sama and -dono? Or why some members of a certain host club call each other "Senpai" or "Haru-chan"?

zztop wrote:
One area I feel the dub gets weak in is the removal of the English-Japanese language barrier in the Sydney episode, which I felt was an integral part of the episode.
So how should they have handled it? Pretend they were going somewhere other than Sydney where some 3rd language other than English or Japanese is spoken? Or maybe the Strawberry Marshmallow approach of just adding "[Speaking English]" in the Songs/Signs subtitle track whenever an Australian spoke in English?

Cait wrote:
It got to a point that when I was writing up my impressions of each episode for Tumblr, I started keeping a running list of them, but when there got to be so many I had to start only mentioning the worst ones.
Some of them are questionable, yes, but some of them are perfectly valid English idiomatic expressions that've been around for ages. Like joined at the hip, right on the money, hell or high water (which I've seen used as a translation for the common Japanese phrase "Tatoe hi no naka mizu no naka" in other shows), have it made, pull the plug, or turn over a new leaf. And "old man" is frequently used when characters call their fathers "oyaji" instead of "otousan" or one of its variants.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4