• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode does raise the question for me as to who will voice the Big three in the dub.
I have this hunch that Amajiki will be voiced by Todd Haberkorn because of typecasting.
Hado might be voiced by Tabitha Ray (Hotaru Shidare in Dagashi Kashi).
I want Togata to be voiced either by Johnny Yong Bosch or even Robbie Daymond if Colleen Clinkenbeard is going to attempt something like that, but I have this feeling it might be either Ricco Fajardo or Vic Mignogna.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
episode 63

Season 3 of My Hero Academia is one of the most impressive narratives I've seen in a shonen show for a LONG time.

The characters all seemed to have learned something, their actions had consequences for their personal development and the overall plot, and I have confidence that those lessons will remain with the characters in successive episodes. The action, adventure, and dialog was well balanced in time (no drawn out battles or drawn out dialog).

The idea of an unknown 'big 3' did seem odd considering Midoriya did not know the students and he is supposedly knowledgeable about heroes. Class 1-A is full of first year students who've had more exposure than the big 3 at the school. If I'm not mistaken, the big 3 students should also have their provisional licenses and would be permitted to perform heroic actions in public. That's just nitpicking though. It's not a serious issue with the overall plot.

The lecture that Mirio gave to the students was really inspiring. Lots of people may have quirks that don't have an obvious practicality, but Mirio worked hard and mastered his quirk enough to become skilled enough to be one of the best heroes. This is a great lesson for people like Midoriya who are at risk when using their quirks. I wish that the big 3 were not so blatantly quirky (no pun intended) in their first appearance. The writer tried too hard to give them odd personalities when for the most part they could have just been typical people. On a side note: I also like that Mirio's clothes fell off when he phased through objects. Characters with phasing powers always manage to keep their clothes on (likely because of nudity restrictions in media).

+ Character growth is reasonable and earned
+ Well paced action and dialog
+ Plot threads naturally flow from one to the next
+ Gang Orca!

- League of villains is still boring
- Not enough Froppy

Last edited by Gasero on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Marimo0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
It's Mirio, not Mishio.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
It's Mirio, not Mishio.
I was still editing my post when you responded. It's fixed now.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:32 am Reply with quote
coolkidpiccolo wrote:
The latest episode does raise the question for me as to who will voice the Big three in the dub.
I have this hunch that Amajiki will be voiced by Todd Haberkorn because of typecasting.
I want Togata to be voiced either by Johnny Yong Bosch or even Robbie Daymond if Colleen Clinkenbeard is going to attempt something like that, but I have this feeling it might be either Ricco Fajardo or Vic Mignogna.

I was thinking about this too. I can definitely see Todd as Tamaki cause he can be good at voicing characters who have panic attacks. I’m actually surprised I haven’t heard him in BNHA yet so this may be a good chance to put him in.

With that said, if Tood is Tamaki it’d be hilarious if Mirio was voiced by Vic as he and Todd have a “friendly rivalry” that they like to play up irl. I can definitely see Vic voicing Mirio, though it’s probably because he’s blonde (I have my reasons.) Though if I had to be really honest, I’m having a hard time picturing how Mirio would sound in English cause it’s hard to match a good tone with that TinTin face lol We’ll have to wait until Saturday to see.

Tabitha Ray was great in Dagashi Kashi so I can see her voicing someone as all over the place as Nejire. I’m personally rooting for Amanda Lee.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
coolkidpiccolo wrote:

I was thinking about this too. I can definitely see Todd as Tamaki cause he can be good at voicing characters who have panic attacks. I’m actually surprised I haven’t heard him in BNHA yet so this may be a good chance to put him in.

With that said, if Tood is Tamaki it’d be hilarious if Mirio was voiced by Vic as he and Todd have a “friendly rivalry” that they like to play up irl. I can definitely see Vic voicing Mirio, though it’s probably because he’s blonde (I have my reasons.) Though if I had to be really honest, I’m having a hard time picturing how Mirio would sound in English cause it’s hard to match a good tone with that TinTin face lol We’ll have to wait until Saturday to see.

Tabitha Ray was great in Dagashi Kashi so I can see her voicing someone as all over the place as Nejire. I’m personally rooting for Amanda Lee.

HIGHLY DOUBT THAT!!! with the obvious notion that he WILL be doing natsu for fairy tail's final season , voicing hitch for season three AND now have videogame voiceover duties for Destiny 2 as drifter (which isn't a good sign at itself), its SLIM TO NONE they will be able to get him to voice for season 4 LET ALONE tamaki!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
DigitalScratch wrote:
coolkidpiccolo wrote:

HIGHLY DOUBT THAT!!! with the obvious notion that he WILL be doing natsu for fairy tail's final season , voicing hitch for season three AND now have videogame voiceover duties for Destiny 2 as drifter (which isn't a good sign at itself), its SLIM TO NONE they will be able to get him to voice for season 4 LET ALONE tamaki!!!

They've already decided their VAs. Mirio is played by Ricco Fajardo, Tamaki is played by Aaron Dismuke, and Nejire is played by Lindsey Seidel.

coolkidpiccolo at least got one of his choices for Mirio right.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I agree that out of all of MHA's recap episodes, ep. 64 was definitely the best. I loved how the journalist turned out to be a nice guy. It was a nice little twist.

Also, when I was first watching the episode, I thought it was really weird when the journalist said that he took a picture of All Might saving his dad. I mean, what child would take a picture in the middle of a scary situation like that? But then his Quirk was revealed and I went "Ooooh, now that makes more sense." I thought it was a cool reveal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I know Kōhei Horikoshi has some hardcore horror manga chops that he's been sitting on

Oh? And what might those be? The only things I can find he's done besides MHA are Barrage and Oumagadoki Zoo and a couple of one shots in shounen magazines, none of which seem to be horror.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
I know Kōhei Horikoshi has some hardcore horror manga chops that he's been sitting on

Oh? And what might those be? The only things I can find he's done besides MHA are Barrage and Oumagadoki Zoo and a couple of one shots in shounen magazines, none of which seem to be horror.

He's referring to some upcoming spoiler[gory and dark] scenes in this arc and a latter arc
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
If that's the case, it's really poorly expressed, since it sounds like he's done hardcore horror manga, which MHA is not. If he meant horrific scenes already published in the MHA manga, he's not been sitting on anything, waiting to strike, it's just that the anime hasn't caught up to that yet.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If that's the case, it's really poorly expressed, since it sounds like he's done hardcore horror manga, which MHA is not. If he meant horrific scenes already published in the MHA manga, he's not been sitting on anything, waiting to strike, it's just that the anime hasn't caught up to that yet.

'Shrugs' I suppose it could have been phrased better, or at least be more specific. I'm not even completely sure that he's referring to what i mentioned
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Smells like a One-Punch Man ripoff anime for children.

OPM: *has a crab villain who looks like a rejected Captain Underpants villain, Saitama wearing a shirt declaring his love for tits, and gay character who is a flamboyant card-carrying rapist*

You: "OPM is the grown up series!"

Also, OPM isn't the first superhero anime. Go watch Tiger & Bunny, casual.

Ulinox wrote:
And people called One-Punch Man overrated? This joke anime clearly trying to secure a western audience by tapping into the superhero market has all the shonen clichés, including a weak protagonist, bad character interactions and nonsensical development like a guy giving away his power for no reason, oh yeah, and fanservice from female heroes that do nothing actual important for the story but has to be there for eyecandy. Where OPM succeeded in being fresh and having a new take on the superhero genre with satire, this anime fails in every aspect. It's just a generic shonen anime with nothing really going for it.

3 years later: You're surprisingly quiet after season 2 came out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
RE Episode 67: I'm pretty much with Sam on this one. I'm enjoying what it's doing in the moment, like the Deku and All Might scene definitely got to me, and the tension with Overhaul was well done. On the the other hand, it isn't lost on me that we're four episodes into the season, and we're still on "Overhaul is up to something,"
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the visuals and storyboarding have been feeling especially flat lately.

Yeah, compared to previous seasons, the overall direction in S4 has been a little too average so far, especially during scenes that are supposed to be tense and/or grim (like whenever Overhaul decides to obliterate people for the sake of it Laughing); those moments end up feeling like they lack a little oomph to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 63 of 81