• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
I think this episode did a nice job of expanding slightly on the fights while still keeping them short. Just enough to give us several little fights to fill an episode so that we can have a full episode devoted to the anime's next notable fight, Uraraka vs Bakugo.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I like how they play out the shadow kid, instead of abusing the chuuni jokes they kept playing him straight where it matters (unlike, let's say stomach beam guy who is always played for laughs, adn to think I expected him to be important , being the bishounen).

I also loved how the playboy kid acted, he came out as totally dumb and ackwardwhichis ko for his age.

lossthief wrote:

That's entirely inaccurate. [

so, I will take what I previously said as an inacurate translation then, thanks.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I completely disagree that this has been a slower season. Firstly, we only have one other season for comparison, and considering how slow and uneventful season one felt (for me anyway) overall, I'm actually pretty surprised to find out that people actually think this season has been paced slower. Maybe it's just because I binged all the released episodes in one sitting last night, but for me the pacing has been pretty top-notch and firing on all cylinders. In fact, I'm liking it dramatically more so than the first. My favorite thing about season one, the expansive and varied cast, has gotten a lot more development as well. I can't wait for the fight between Uraraka and Bakugo next week!
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first half is the fight, and it's beautifully succinct, but because there's just enough story to cover elsewhere and they want to save Midoriya vs. Todoroki for its own episode, the second half is a lot of sitting around and talking.

No, they didn't want to save anything, the anime just keeps adapting 2 manga chapters per episode.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
So what are your thoughts on that beautiful takedown of Endeavour by Deku?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
regarding the review.
the fights feel like streamlined jojo fights, simpler and faster, no need to overcomplicate stuff and risk making it boring/unintelligible.

Bakugo reminds me of kurono from gantz (manga) he starts as a less likeable character yet humane and not cliche which makes sense in the world setting , with ample room for charcter development both for bad and good and keeps you guessing where will that go.
CookieBun

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are heroines in this genre stuck aiming for "at least they tried" status?

That's the question that I want to ask too. I understand that yes, shonen stories are just that, stories for boys, but that doesn't change the fact that it always sucked so much how girls are always sidelined and treated differently by the author, as if they don't feel the same drive and passion like boys do.

So with that in mind, this MHA episode is disappointing (not that I expected it to end any differently) but it's progress, too. Like the review says, it doesn't do much to really challenge the aforementioned question, but Horikoshi's treatment of Ochako is more respectful than it was in earlier shonen series like Naruto, which was also for all its faults, treated its female characters better than older shonen in the 80s, and so on.

It's not really something we can do anything about, nor do I want anyone to force these demands on creators, but seeing the relative trend, I want to hope that perhaps one day in the future, there might be a popular shonen battle series that doesn't draw a line between the sexes. In a fantasy/superhero story, such things shouldn't really matter, in my opinion.

Good episode as always.

(And yes, I know there are shonen(esque) anime with kickass female characters now, but they're usually very fanservice-heavy to somehow make up for being strong as a girl, like Fairy Tail and Kill la Kill.)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Ochako and how she uses her gravity powers to try and get an edge over his explosion Quirk, the show runs into the classic shonen problem of "how do we give the female characters fights within our given parameters?", which is a valid concern, depending on the world at hand.

I'm usually pretty sensitive to this kind of stuff, but this time around I really don't see it at all.

We just got finished with Mina and Mei running rings around their opponents in ways that established both as extremely capable competitors. Now that we've come to Ochako - who at the end of the day has what would be considered a "support" power in any decent superhero tabletop game - there really isn't any expectation that she'd be able to take out the main character's rival in the first round of the tournament. Not only would it completely kill the narrative tension surrounding the arc, but it would also run counter to characters' previously stated abilities. It's not as though this is Hinata vs Neji in the Chūnin exams; Ochako has a fairly serious limitation on her powers (not only does she have to touch her opponents to directly effect them, but merely using her powers exhausts her) and she's facing off against someone with a hubris-based character arc that would be negated if he lost to a secondary character.

Couple this with the facts that (manga spoiler) spoiler[the One For All prior to All Might was a woman] and that (other manga spoiler) spoiler[Nejire Hadou is a Big Three student] and you really have the sense that this is a universe where gender has zero bearing on combat strength.
CookieBun

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate Good points, which is why MHA is a step in right direction. But still, there's a difference between having capable female characters as side characters and them actually being narratively important, as characters that propel the story forward. Sure, the women of MHA are super capable, but will the story actually show them being that in a badass, narratively meaningful way? I hope so, but I doubt it to be honest. (But I'd love to be wrong!) I'm guessing we'll continue to see moments like Ochako saving Deku in the entrance exams, or Tsuyu being helpful in the run with the villains.They are great, don't get me wrong, since that's already a huge improvement already over most shonen, but they're not exactly driving the "big" moments, if you know what I mean.

To reiterate my previous post - I get it, it's shonen. Japaneses boys want cool guy characters as leads and cute female characters as support, that's just how it is. But you know, societal values change, which is evident in how female characters generally get better as you follow shonen manga from decade to decade. Considering that, I'm not satisfied with shonen girls remaining at this level. I'm not demanding it out of this particular story, but maybe there will be a time female characters will be legitimate main players in a shonen battle story (without being love interests/fan-service vehicles) and Japan will be okay with it. For now though, I'm pretty happy with we got. MHA girls are great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Uraraka is a "the girl" character as just a general character trope, just like we also have "the hero" and some "the rival" characters. it is, she can have a big supporting part where her skills might be much more helpful, but against a "the rival" character, from the start it should be an exercise of showing "the rival's" power against the helpless "the girl", but it was not. Bakugo treated her as a serious opponent, and it was not until it was about to start that I saw Uraraka had a way in, if she managed to touch him, even Bakugo's own power of explosions could have sent him flying and out of the ring. Uraraka was at a disadvantage, Bakugo was at a real threat of losing, where she put a huge amount of effort to go against her own perceived limitations, and as we saw, Bakugo was getting pushed that there was a real chance of getting exhausted.

She did not let herself fall into the category of frail girl in the fight, and Bakugo showed her the correct respect. The people that in the audience that called what he was doing as picking on a girl were the ones who were not showing her respect that she could not look after herself, that she was just weak and be a frail flower that should be coddled. As harsh as you might even think the teacher can be, he did not see her that way, that he was embarrassed that they would think that of her, and he had his eyes open for what she could pull off. Yeah three of the strongest fighters in the show are the boys in the class, yeah this is a shounen show. But the girls are also worth their salt in the profession that favours some brute force, they are not just pretty faces, and they don't even need to sacrifice being girls. The guys are just as likely to be idiots for being guys, being stomped because they looked down on the girls.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not reading the manga, but i'm curious: are there any female characters - heroes or villains - with strong physical quirks like Bakugo or do they all have these support-type powers? What puzzled me the most was that even pro-heroes expected him to go easy on her which made it seem like women aren't really considered to be equals in the hero world...

That being said, my respect for Bakugo grew quite a bit in this ep. for not letting himself getting provoked by the booing and for taking Uraraka seriously.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:43 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I'm not reading the manga, but i'm curious: are there any female characters - heroes or villains - with strong physical quirks like Bakugo or do they all have these support-type powers? What puzzled me the most was that even pro-heroes expected him to go easy on her which made it seem like women aren't really considered to be equals in the hero world...

That being said, my respect for Bakugo grew quite a bit in this ep. for not letting himself getting provoked by the booing and for taking Uraraka seriously.

The latest chapters spoiler[have introduced a lady with the power to turn into an actual dragon]. So you know, that is awesome. She hasn't had much of a role yet though. Plus there is always Mt. Lady.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
Could people PLEASE stop comparing Bakugo to Sasuke when he's clearly more like Vegeta?
Shradow

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I'm not reading the manga, but i'm curious: are there any female characters - heroes or villains - with strong physical quirks like Bakugo or do they all have these support-type powers?

Well, you already know Mt. Lady, and spoiler[there's a hero introduced later whose Quirk basically makes her an earthbender (and she's been shown to do very large scale things), and the successor of One For All before All Might was a woman.]
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Could people PLEASE stop comparing Bakugo to Sasuke when he's clearly more like Vegeta?

Vegeta was a villain who was introduced midway into the series and then turned good. Bakugo is a day one rival whose growth happens alongside the main character's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 81