• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Amanchu!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
At eight episodes in, it is fairly obvious that diving is only a secondary focus of this show. The main emphasis is the teacher and club members. It would not surprise me if the first open water dive of the whole club was the payoff at the end of the final episode.

I think you're right, unfortunately. Diving brought me to this, and since I hadn't been seeing any I'd put off watching episodes 7-8. I think I'm done with this one because the characters don't do anything for me.

And jumping into the other conversation, the introduction of Ai really bright the series down for me. I wanted a relaxing show, not cartoon violence. She's very much out of place for the expectations the creators set up for the show.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think that everyone set up their own expectations when it was announced that the show was based on a manga by Kozue Amano. I don't think I ever heard how the creators billed the show.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
When I watched the first episode, I felt slightly bored because it had too much introduction and not enough diving, but as of episode three and four I realized that the core of this season at least (dunno how the rest of the manga goes) is the sea, and the overall feel of a city by the sea, and the diving part is mostly the drive for our protagonist's growth. However, it's not as if the diving didn't matter, there are particular feelings that Teko and Pikari experience while diving.

This season or part of the manga in particular wants to hit all the points of the character's growth before diving (heh) into the scuba diving part, if it ever does. At least that's what I understand from this adapting only a small part of the manga.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, good. They included the arc about Futaba's phone memory. I was afraid they'd skip it, since episode 8 featured a story segment that took place later than that one in the manga.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
And jumping into the other conversation, the introduction of Ai really bright the series down for me. I wanted a relaxing show, not cartoon violence. She's very much out of place for the expectations the creators set up for the show.

It is certainly true that Ai's temper is out of kilter with the demeanour of other characters, but are people really so sensitive to such differences in behaviour? Her violent moments are treated as frivolously and inconsequentially as anything else in the show, allowing the story to accommodate her without any clashes in tone. While I do not exactly think she is underused as a character, for the time being I can tolerate her presence in the background.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
the introduction of Ai really bright the series down for me. I wanted a relaxing show, not cartoon violence. She's very much out of place for the expectations the creators set up for the show.

Ai's antics keeps the series from being too melodramatic. Beating up her little brother for no reason seems dumb on the surface, but she helps keep the show safe from a depressing mood.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I about fell out of my chair when I heard Akari and Aika's voices. I loved this episode.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
CrimsonDX wrote:
I about fell out of my chair when I heard Akari and Aika's voices. I loved this episode.

This. Episode 9 was an absolute delight from beginning to end. I was even happy they chose to spend a whole episode on this instead of making it share half its episode runtime with another chapter arc.

As far as Teko's pictures go, I don't think it's a matter of glorifying the past to the extent of forgetting the present. It was more that she didn't want to forget. If she put her pictures onto a memory card, she'd still HAVE the pictures, technically, but she'd have no immediate way of looking at them. The picture frame is a nice solution to that, though I guess it is a bit odd that she wouldn't consider that option herself. She didn't know about digital picture frames? They're fairly common over here. Maybe not as much in Japan?

But yeah, loved this episode. Also really enjoyed the fact that they brought Erino Hazuki (and to a lesser extent, Chiwa Saito) into this, and I also enjoyed the Erino brought her Akari voice to this role. (Like she also did with her role as Riho in Tamayura.)
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

As far as Teko's pictures go, I don't think it's a matter of glorifying the past to the extent of forgetting the present. It was more that she didn't want to forget. If she put her pictures onto a memory card, she'd still HAVE the pictures, technically, but she'd have no immediate way of looking at them. The picture frame is a nice solution to that, though I guess it is a bit odd that she wouldn't consider that option herself. She didn't know about digital picture frames? They're fairly common over here. Maybe not as much in Japan?

I think you overestimate both the tech savviness of the average middle(high? I forget) school girl and Japanese person in general, as well as the rationality of somebody who is having a little bit of an emotional engine stall.

Teko was so wrapped up in her THING that she couldn't think about anything else until she got a push from the rest of the diving club.

To really run the metaphor into the ground, she stalled out on the interstate, flooded the engine, panicked, and thought she'd die alone on the side of the road, forgetting that she could call for help or just wave somebody down. Or that she had passengers who proceed to fix the car while she's fretting.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Possibly, but I just couldn't see them knowing about external storage but not digital picture frames unless the latter isn't particularly common in Japan. Then again, this is telephones and not photography in the strictest sense, so those are two different areas, I guess.

And as panicky as Teko is, she seems almost manically aware of technology and the limits therein, so that's the main reason I found it strange.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
chaccide wrote:
And jumping into the other conversation, the introduction of Ai really brought the series down for me. I wanted a relaxing show, not cartoon violence. She's very much out of place for the expectations the creators set up for the show.

It is certainly true that Ai's temper is out of kilter with the demeanour of other characters, but are people really so sensitive to such differences in behaviour? Her violent moments are treated as frivolously and inconsequentially as anything else in the show, allowing the story to accommodate her without any clashes in tone. While I do not exactly think she is underused as a character, for the time being I can tolerate her presence in the background.

I'd ask why are people not sensitive to the fact that she's a jarring and unwelcome addition to the story? Or rather, I'd ask that if I wanted to disagree in a passive aggressive way that suggested my way of viewing was superior to someone else's.

It's how I see her. I don't like it. It's the second major thing about the anime that I don't like. You can watch it and like it all you want. I've got other things I'd rather be watching.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
This show concludes in a high note with a very strong episode. I was not expecting much from Amanchu!, but I am glad I gave it a chance because it was a worthwhile experience.

And Amanchu! is a good healing show, but I still consider Flying Witch the best healing show from 2016.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
This show needs a season 2, either that or someone needs to localize the actual manga.

I really enjoyed this show
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, aside from the great production values, I was disappointed with this show. I guess Kozue Amano's approach to "healing" stories only works for me when there's an interesting world for the characters to explore.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that sweet, "I love you lots" quote by Pikari was a wonderful way to close out this show for me. I would gladly take a sequel though. I'm personally glad the focus was mostly on Futaba. She is the character I most related to and the one that appealed to me the most in general. All in all, this was a sweet little show. Not sure if I like it more than Flying Witch, but they were both really a pleasure. I don't know if JC Staff is trying to make this a thing that they do, but if they give us a couple iyashikei shows like this every year, I'd love that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7