• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Taboo Tattoo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Australian JRPG Gamer wrote:
Lol there was a house there a minute ago.

That was the only joke that really landed for me, but it was a pretty funny one. I don't know why, but for as silly and overused as it is, shocked characters with balloon eyes somehow hasn't gotten old for me yet.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
I haven't found the tone to be inconsistent. I think some people are taking the drama parts too seriously, which might be what hampers the humor for them. I've been approaching this more as an exploitation film, and from that angle I think it's hitting the mark pretty consistently.

James Beckett wrote:
the camera work and animation can't work around the scene's cramped interiors and awkward angles

I am under the impression this was intentional to emphasize Shrodinger's Cat's ability. I'm not sure if that actually makes it better, or not, but I think it was a pretty evocative way to show the experience of fighting a very disorienting opponent like that.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
James Beckett wrote:
the camera work and animation can't work around the scene's cramped interiors and awkward angles

I am under the impression this was intentional to emphasize Shrodinger's Cat's ability. I'm not sure if that actually makes it better, or not, but I think it was a pretty evocative way to show the experience of fighting a very disorienting opponent like that.

I think my issue was that, for me, the scene didn't express the fight in a way that made it engaging for the audience. I definitely see what you're saying about the disorienting effect, but I feel like there could have been a way to get that across while still improving on the overall direction of the scene.

HelloBucket wrote:
I I've been approaching this more as an exploitation film, and from that angle I think it's hitting the mark pretty consistently.

That's actually super interesting! I don't know if I personally see it in that same light, but it's a perspective to take into account for sure. It would certainly affect how one reads a lot of the tonal shifts, especially in this episode.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Just checked the manga and not only does it have a flashback 1/2 volumes long about a character i hate, the art style looks like an Air Gear ripoff... and a bad ripoff at that.. <.<

I think this is the first time i skipped volumes in a manga because they were grating me so much it was stupid... and i'm the kind of guy that has a very high tolerance towards bullshit stories, etc...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode #5:

I mostly agree with the review; on the animation level, the choreography of the fight scenes, but the numerous quick cuts, and fast-moving plot, and the absurdity of the characters & situations is just too ridiculous. And the previous 4 episodes were somewhat competent is regards to story-telling.

Quote:
James is proud to say he made it through this entire review without mentioning Big Order.

You were so close...
nubguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
It is funny, but I actually really liked this episode. It was exciting, and the action was awesome! It probably helps that it is exactly what I wanted it to be. It sort of reminds me of a military or CIA movie with supernatural elements thrown in.
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
..... and dropped. I wanted to stick it out with you other viewers but I just can't do it. It's like the trope with the girl who can't cook in anime. The ingredients are there but what ends up on the table is unrecognizable and potentially brain melting.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Finished reading the 3rd volume recently.

If you didn't like it so far you're not going to like where it's going.

Too many cliché things really. It might've made for a fun action show but only if they gave it higher production values.

Also lots of unnecessary and non-sensible fan service. If it's just the popcorn you're looking for then the show will scratch that itch. But otherwise, eh...
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I haven't watched enough of these so called " typical shonen shows " cus I would hate to end up like the poster here who's watched so many shows of this kind that he's forcefully watching the series just as a way to accomplish his job and is so miserable that he wants to pull his hair out and gouge out his eyes! I mean at that point you've watched enough of these series why are you still watching them if you clearly don't enjoy them . There are new generations and younger audiences that haven't been drowned by anime like "cough" have so just to remind these negative folks that these shows are not all made for you so when a show doesn't float your boat why not just try to appreciate if just a little.

At least don't ruin it for potential new comers who might like it . You ever think that all your negativity has an influence on the younger minds and sways there opinions of shows even though they would've never pointed out these flaws before if it wasn't for the one source they like to goto to get there news. Tsk tsk smh
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
It became pretty clear early on this wasn't the second coming of Darker than Black, so I set my expectations accordingly. After all, we're talking about an Army ranger named Bluesy Fruesy with a CO named Colonel Sanders. I'm not taking any of it seriously and am enjoying the mindless action and lesbian princess fanservice.

All things considered, I liked this week's episode.
Now I can make Persona jokes every time the thing in the Seigi's tattoo appears.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
I actually haven't seen the last episode yet, and after reading the review I think I won't. The last couple episodes had already hit that point for me where I sorta kinda enjoy them while I'm watching, but they don't leave any impression or make me eager to see more. Now I find myself actively putting off watching it, and even trying to remember what the plot is, so I think I can cross this off my list with no regrets.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review James, because of it I got the laugh I was looking for this season! I have been watching Scar-red Rider Xech and it's between silly and lame (be grateful this didn't make the review list), but I hope this series continues like this because Ep1 and 4 weren't interesting to me. Ep5 was hilariously bad, I could take a page with all the things that were over the top funny but the "I'll Bleep you later!" comment after a supposedly life-or-death match and the resultant "meow~" was just great. Big Order, here we co~~~me! Sorry Aholepony
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
I'm not taking any of it seriously and am enjoying the mindless action and lesbian princess fanservice.

That is pretty much my approach. I find it fun and amusing. I don't think any of it is suppose to be taken seriously. I can see why people that started watching thinking it was suppose to be more serious would be put off, but I never thought it was suppose to be serious.

I do agree with the comments about the production side of episode 5. The fights individually were fine, but how they were pieced together was done poorly.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the review that episode 5 was a train wreck of a episode. Dumb action and fanservice is a perfectly good recipe for viewing pleasure, but the direction, pacing and tone of this episode was a utter mess. If it doesn't get back on track in episode 6, I sadly be saying good bye this far in Sad
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
about a character i hate,

Say hello to the character i hate, BB! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5