• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Strange Reinterpretations of Classic Literature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
Infinite Ryvius
'Lord of the Flies' set in space. Somehow they nail it. Utterly.

And then there's Hakugei, which is Moby Dick in Space. It is easily possible to do a whole list of just "X in Space" examples, and then a separate list for non space adaptations.
gwdone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Barciad wrote:
Infinite Ryvius

And then there's Hakugei, which is Moby Dick in Space. It is easily possible to do a whole list of just "X in Space" examples, and then a separate list for non space adaptations.

I love Infinite Ryvius
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, Strain, a tragic example of perfectly good yuri fanservice diminished by a so-so story.

Gonzo's Romeo x Juliet: Was more realistic and made more sense than the play, despite the magic trees and flying horses. Funimation's dub is definitely a treat, as with most of their Gonzo titles.

Gankutsuou: I feared that the English dub would be lackluster, but felt it sounded pretty good when I rewatched the series within the past 8 months. Unfortunately, the trippy visuals don't hold up as well when watching on DVD upscaled to an HDTV (and mine's only 720p). At least the old TV-fansubs from 2004 were blurry enough to mask some of the texture and CG-integration issues.
Thread_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Why you no let me vote Julietta Suzuki? Kamisama Kiss is one of my absolute favorite manga series right now. Oh well I guess I'll vote Arina Tanemura. Very Happy

I really enjoyed the ones on this list that I have seen. I'll have to track down the others and give them a try now!
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Thread_Alchemist wrote:
Why you no let me vote Julietta Suzuki? Kamisama Kiss is one of my absolute favorite manga series right now. Oh well I guess I'll vote Arina Tanemura. :D

If a manga creator is not in the poll, you can check "Other" and add in their name.

I voted for Milk Morinaga, Nico Tanigawa, and Yuuto Tsukuda/Shun Saeki.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Odysseus was not lost at sea for 10 years because of his incident with the cyclops. That happens during those travels. He was forced to wander the seas for that long because he angered Poseidon with his arrogance and lack of proper worship after the fall of Troy. The cyclops incident was just an even that further enraged the God of the Sea.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I went with CLAMP, Hiro Mashima (although current events might be changing my opinion of that slightly >.>), and Arina Tanemura. If I had one more option, I would've added Suzue Miuchi (Glass Mask), but I didn't want to vote for her because, while Glass Mask is my favorite series, CLAMP and Tanemura has the largest majority of titles on my shelf and Mashima's Fairy Tail keeps me entertained week after week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
Odysseus was not lost at sea for 10 years because of his incident with the cyclops. That happens during those travels. He was forced to wander the seas for that long because he angered Poseidon with his arrogance and lack of proper worship after the fall of Troy. The cyclops incident was just an even that further enraged the God of the Sea.

Odysseus says in Book 9 of the Odyssey that it was Zeus who blew his ships off course until they met the Lotus Eaters. Next stop, getting captured by the Cyclops Polyphemus, Poseidon's son, who after that whole hot stick in the eye thing, prayed to Papa to curse him. (Hear me, Poseidon...grant that Odysseus...may never reach his home...but if it is his fate to see...his native land, late may he come and in evil case, after losing all his comrades, in a ship that is another's; and may he find woes in his house.) He doesn't even specify ten years, that's just how long it took.

I assume you have a source for your version, but since half the Odyssey is told by Odysseus, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't cite his own arrogance for his troubles in that story. He strikes me more as a "everybody's out to get me, but I'm so clever and women love me, so I got through it all" kind of guy. Smile
/pedantry
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Two more fun additions to this week's list...Madoka is based on Goethe's Faust (they even have text from the story throughout the series) and Gilgamesh is based on the classic tale of... Gilgamesh.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
There's at least 3 duplicate entries on the poll, so be careful about who you're adding - sometimes the names appear with the manga they're famous for, and sometimes they don't. (Could someone please remove the duplicates, by the way?)

I really like Sho Futamata (Nanbaka) at the moment, but because the anime for that is still upcoming, I deemed it "unfair" and picked someone else.

It was really hard to pick one mangaka because I wasn't aware of the fact you could pick up to three until I got to the forum - it didn't say in the question what limit of mangaka you could pick.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Barciad wrote:
Infinite Ryvius

It's even on the TV Tropes page!

Really hard to choose considering this week's poll. Many of the creators on this list don't even have ANY of their works legally available in English. I would want to pick Hiromu Arakawa and Yasuhiro Nightow since Fullmetal Alchemist and Trigun are my favorite manga but I can't. The only people I think are worth choosing are those who have created a massive amount of varied works like Rumiko Takahashi, Osamu Tezuka, and Akira Toriyama. The majority of these people only have one notable work to base our opinion on.

It's not American comics where the writers are forced to create and tell a story and/or arc in 80 to 120 pages in the form of multiple 20-page chapters. With this in mind, creators can quickly tell an entire story (or multiple stories) in a few months and be onto their next work. Thus leads to a large list of works on their resume. I could safely say that Jeff Lemire or Mark Millar are my favorite creators because of how many different works they have written. Even writers tied to one company (mainstream ones no less), like Brian Micheal Bendis and Geoff Johns, have written a large list of books.

I also think that it's worth noting that Japanese comics go on forever because of their creators and not because of their characters like mainstream American comics.

Not trying to say one's better than the other, just comparing the mediums.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Let's no forget DB is loosely based off of the "Journey to the West" tale.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
If I had to choose an all-time favorite, it would surely be Yoshihiro Togashi, since childhood to nowadays I still love reading his works.

But considering that most of what I've read of Hunter x Hunter is not "nowadays", I am torn. There is Sakamoto Shinichi, author of Kokou no Hito and Innocent, the experience of reading them is just awesome, it hits all the spots I like in both art and storytelling. Horikoshi and Sodachi are pretty close seconds. I would say Kentaro Miura for sure if I was completely sure on how I feel about Berserk but, whatever, one of the best mangakas out there.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
My first easy pick on the mangaka was Fumi Yoshinaga because I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a small shrine for just her works.
Next was Osamu Tezuka, because I adore him too (I just want another Kickstarter already!)
Wish I could've picked four though, as I got stuck between Junji Ito and Takehiko Inoue. I went with Inoue though because Real is one of the best manga coming out from any one, albeit at a snail's pace (hoping that can speed up with Vagabond finished, would be nice to get more than one volume a year). Slam Dunk would probably have been better for me had I not already been reading the masterpiece that is Real. I enjoy Junji Ito for the style and spectacle though, he's fantastic at short stories too. And they let this man do approved fan art for Pokemon, and it was obviously creepy as all get out. Another one I'd consider is Usamaru Furuya, whom I can only assume gets off on drawing amazing art or something.
I can name plenty of authors where I like a work, but that's the only work of theirs I really know where for the other ones, I'm familiar with a lots of Yoshinaga and Tezuka series.

I quite enjoyed Blast of Tempest, I think I prefer when series take things from a classic without outright remaking it (in space!). It wasn't without faults, but I was pretty engrossed the whole time, and that's all I ask!

Yeah, Infinite Ryvius totally should've been on this list, it is Lord of the Flies in space. And it is good, though it requires patience.
And while Hakugei might be Moby Dick in space, Hakugei is ungodly terrible and should not be watched by anybody (not even Osamu Dezaki fans. Actually, especially not by Osamu Dezaki fans).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I bought Gankutsuou a couple of years ago, but still need to get to that. Since the Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite novels, and the more recent film adaptation with Caviezel is one of my favorite movies, I'm not entirely sure if I want to see what they did with it for anime.

If you liked the novel and liked the Caviezel movie you may not like how the anime ends.....among other things.

KutovoiAnton wrote:
changed ending

There's been quite a few adaptations that changed the ending though.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Let's no forget DB is loosely based off of the "Journey to the West" tale.

I wouldn't call Journey To The West "classic" literature at least not in the west.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5