• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Female Anime Directors Worth Checking Out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I didn't realize Kotomi Deai was a woman. Very cool.

Rie Matsumoto is one of my favorite creators in the industry right now. Seriously love everything from her I've seen. And can hardly wait to see what project she is attached to next. She seems to have such a love for animation, which makes me very happy. Very Happy

For the new poll. I picked Honey and Clover(which I always thought was josei, for some reason), mostly because, as a guy, it really resonated with me. And is one of my favorite series of all time. Several men in the series get ample screen time and go through a lot of relatable growing pains as young adult men trying to find themselves. I also just love Chika Umino's work in general, and think that it appeals to a really wide audience with its themes and style. And that artwork is gorgeous!

Last edited by relyat08 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
What reviews are you talking about? If this is just first hand experience from a few randoms then I think it's worth mentioning that I thought the movie was absolutely phenomenal. In fact I think it did an amazing job of cementing why Naoko Yamada is one of my favourite anime directors. It's arguably her best work yet.

Thank you for sharing this. Out of interest, does the pacing of A Silent Voice remain consistent throughout? An abrupt ending was the only fault I could readily find with Yamada's previous film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
You can add it to the poll yourself so long as you're logged in while viewing the poll.

Weird, mine didn't get added. If I come back to the page, it's populated in the "other" text box. Usually with these polls, it gets its own radio button.

(Can anyone else see if "Arisa by Natsumi Ando" is now in the list?)

Ah, sorry about that. I forgot to check a box. It should work now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Weird, mine didn't get added. If I come back to the page, it's populated in the "other" text box. Usually with these polls, it gets its own radio button.

Ah, sorry about that. I forgot to check a box. It should work now!

Yep, fixed now. Thanks.
Miuna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I believe Utsumi Hiroko has been unofficially confirmed to have left Kyoani and go freelance. I do wonder if she will take up more director positions in the future with other studios.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Thank you for sharing this. Out of interest, does the pacing of A Silent Voice remain consistent throughout? An abrupt ending was the only fault I could readily find with Yamada's previous film.
Oh yeah. I mean your opinion might be different than mine when you go out and see it but I thought it was really well paced.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Audiences can look to K-ON! for entertaining romances, and the lady deserves a medal for helping turn Toei's Sailor Moon reboot into something watchable.
Was that perhaps meant to say "Golden Time" instead of "K-On!"? As for Sailor Moon, "Chiaki Kon saved Sailor Moon Crystal" still sounds more like a punchline than an actual thing that happened to me, speaking as someone who had dropped Crystal after 11 episodes and whose exposure to Kon's œuvre is limited to the adaptations of GT, Higurashi and Umineko, plus episode 1 of Devils and Realist. Still, kinda makes me want to pick it back up at some point.
JudgeFudge7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:
Anyway, is Lelouch really a good pilot?

No, he was pretty bad. Suzaku also loses to Karen at his best so I don't get why he is up there instead of her.

Though the poll didn't ask who had the best piloting skills. Perhaps people were taking into account Lelouch's strategic skills when voting him as 'strongest'.

Except Suzaku beat Kallen in the final battle. Why is that people still think that she won when he destroyed her mech and he needed to fake his death unless they're still salty over the outcome.
synaia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Yousoro! wrote:
I believe Utsumi Hiroko has been unofficially confirmed to have left Kyoani and go freelance. I do wonder if she will take up more director positions in the future with other studios.

close to what you said.

<3 ultimatemegax, he is the guy you need involving KyoAni/ Animation Do.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
JudgeFudge7 wrote:
Except Suzaku beat Kallen in the final battle. Why is that people still think that she won when he destroyed her mech and he needed to fake his death unless they're still salty over the outcome.

I don't even... how could you get that impression. The absolute best case for Suzaku was you could call it a tie. His machine blew up. Hers didn't. Now you could say it is a tie since neither one can keep going, but Suzaku certainly didn't win. Suzaku him self says that she 'got him'. Gino catches Karen's machine as it is falling and he says Karen won. Sure, he didn't die as a result, but if that if your criteria for winning then Karen didn't die either.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="kazenoyume"]
Hoppy800 wrote:

Anyway, is Lelouch really a good pilot?

No, not really. He wasn't even a notable pilot until he got the Gawain and later the Shinkirou, both of them being remarkable Knightmares.

Gawain was of a prototype of a newer generation and the first one that could fly. It also had cannon on its shoulders and other stuff. However, Gawain needed two pilots to function properly in battle, so Lelouch needed C.C. as his co-pilot.

Shinkirou was designed to be Gawain's replacement, but was more defensively orientated. It had weaker beams, but a very strong energy shield and it was faster than the larger Gawain. Also, it had a very complicated keyboard control system, something that can be only properly piloted by Lelouch.

In comparison to Suzaku and Kallen, he could never defeat them solo.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It seems bizarre to say "I'm a Chiaki Kon fan" when Sailor Moon Crystal III was her first big title, but with one notable exception, I've consistently enjoyed everything she's directed. (And even then, I didn't hate the Umineko anime as much as some did) She really is a wizard with a low budget.

As for the poll, I chose Kimi ni Todoke, because I remember it being unusually popular with guys back when it came out, though I don't really know why.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unready

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Quote:
Audiences can look to K-ON! for entertaining romances,

Was that perhaps meant to say "Golden Time" instead of "K-On!"?

I think it's just supposed to be Kon, since the topic is Chiaki Kon. Perhaps ANN's publishing software strikes again, changing something from what the author intended to something the software knows it can link.

Last edited by unready on Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miuna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Yousoro! wrote:

close to what you said.

<3 ultimatemegax, he is the guy you need involving KyoAni/ Animation Do.

Ah there we go. Thanks for finding this info! I remember seeing Japanese fans speculating on various blogs after she was seen in the credits for the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie. I'll remember this guy!
JudgeFudge7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
JudgeFudge7 wrote:

I don't even... how could you get that impression. The absolute best case for Suzaku was you could call it a tie. His machine blew up. Hers didn't. Now you could say it is a tie since neither one can keep going, but Suzaku certainly didn't win. Suzaku him self says that she 'got him'. Gino catches Karen's machine as it is falling and he says Karen won. Sure, he didn't die as a result, but if that if your criteria for winning then Karen didn't die either.

Yep hers just went offline and lost its head and cease to function. But because Suzaku machine blew up that makes Kallen the victor? Totally makes sense. And the fact that Suzaku's objective was to prevent everyone from getting to Lelouch while Kallen was aiming to kill him also doesn't click at all along with him being in an inferior machine. But Kallen won because his machine blew up (perfect alby) while hers was rendered inoperable? At this point the only people saying she won are her fans.

Gino wasn't even at the confrontation so he was as lost as everyone else and judging from the epilogue he still thinks Suzaku died in the explosion hence the line so why you're using that as "proof" I have no idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4