• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass Gets New Project & Anime Compilation Film Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

They don't have to hand-wave the end. There is that fan theory they can use for a sequel, that spoiler[the hidden cart driver is LeLouch]

Lol If I haven't seen that theory a million times. Never thought they'd actually use it. But the problem then for me is spoiler[the idea behind his death. That's why I think it will be better that, when he comes back, the world should not know about it.]
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
I pray Lulu is still dead, but well, I'm up for a resurrection!

If they can make a feasible twist that Geass users can be revived, then why not? Lulu tried to save Shirley, who is a not a Geass user, so that's the point to ponder.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
I only have 2 worries with this
1, Will they be able to retain the same, or at a least a very close, look to the first 2 seasons. I do hope they have key animated mechs. Sunrise seem to be one and off with that in recent years.
2, DUB? The dub for this show was great, will they be able to get all the VAs back and have a good director? I think some of them are union, which means that it would be imposable with Funi, who sadly will end up dubbing it. Unless by some miracle Sunrise handle the dub like they have done with some Gundam shows.
shuusei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
I AM SO HYPED FOR THIS.

Code Geass has always been one of those guilty pleasure series for me, even with all its flaws. I can rewatch it every year and it never loses my interest.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Is anyone surprised by this? I am actually surprised that it took this long.
The midquel OVAs burned me out after only 2 eps. and R2 was a (highly entraining) travesty, so this new project better be equally high octane trash for me to bother.
The show already has 2 compilation specials btw. What are these films for?

spoiler[The ending of R2 also never confirmed Lelouch´s death and technically suggested the opposite, multiple times. Didn´t he gain immortality or something? What a weird show...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
2, DUB? The dub for this show was great, will they be able to get all the VAs back and have a good director? I think some of them are union, which means that it would be imposable with Funi, who sadly will end up dubbing it. Unless by some miracle Sunrise handle the dub like they have done with some Gundam shows.

They have done union dubs in the past when needed (see Tenchi Muyo OVA 3, Slayers seasons 4-5, Hellsing Ultimate 5-10, the Bayonetta movie and most recently with Yuki-chan's broadcast dub) so this should be no problem....except we still haven't heard anything about Akito the Exiled so the dub for this new series might fully depend on how FUNi handles Akito.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
#Immie93

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
I personally don't like the idea of them hand-waving the end of R2 away. They better find a way to work around it.

spoiler[Perhaps this new story won't focus on world domination, but the Geass origin story. So that Lelouch vi Britannia, 99th Emperor of Britannia, in fact stays 'dead' to the world.]

It says in the article the sequel takes place AFTER Lelouch's Zero requiem plan so it won't be an origin story.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
While I'm up for this(as if my name doesn't already tip you off) I do hope this Resurrection doesn't devalue Lelouch's sacrifice in R2. I'm up for a valid Resurrection since it seems somewhat feasible given who Lelouch is and the fact that he would have made some plan for it but I was perfectly content with him dying to atone for his sins. If anything I feel like Sunrise should have went back and did a version of the series that the writer intended to originally do which would have made the series 100 episodes long and gave an exposition to certain stuff
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
After coming out of that amazing Iron-blooded orphans episode today, I see this news ?!!!!! please tell me I'm not dreaming, its like God knows what kinda anime I love
( Pls be TV series pls be TV series) Sunrise you just been kicking some mecha ass lately ?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
My honest feeling to this news: I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out season 1's "What do you mean we're getting another season?" cliffhanger so I can't say I'm surprised that the franchise will continue beyond the "point of no return". For one thing, it'd be easier to explain... "Remember when he died? He didn't."... and there'd be no Rolo.

But also, so? It's the same silly problem with Star Wars: You've beaten the Empire so what do you do? Re-Empire... somehow. Unless this is just a "Where are they now?" OVA cash grab and not an actual story with a reason and purpose...

In the end, I think it's "No'. Let sleeping Kallens lie. The last thing I want is that whole shipping thing rehashed just to be put down without an ending again because the Powers That Be don't want to offend any fandom...

Except for the Shirley/Lulu crowd...

Who did I ship? Lelouch with himself. It's the only pairing that makes any sense.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
So that I can grasp the sense of bewilderment others are feeling here, could this be described as the anime equivalent of Uncle Ben returning as a superhero?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Amazing. Just woke up and saw Code Geass trending. My favorite anime and the best of all time is getting a sequel? Today's going to be a good day!!! Let's just hope Taniguchi is directing.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Oh no..I was an emotional mess after it ended. I never had the strength to see it again.

If i dont see my Lulu i will not watch it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
I'm one of the few people in the world that's iffy about the ending - it was original, sure (unless you've seen Watchmen), but it didn't lead in from any of the previously-established events of Season 2 except Episode 19 (which could have happened after Season 1). That's being said, I'm actually more iffy on a dub. I assume Jun Fukuyama will return, and that's no issue since Johnny Yong Bosch has done work for Funimation in the past, but the rest of the cast is based almost entirely in California and/or is retired. I also continue to fail to notice the value of compilation films. Oh well. More Code Geass, my otaku paradise, bring it on!
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

That's what I was wondering too. If it is the old dub cast, then that means some more Johnny Yong Bosch greatness as Lelouch!

#Immie93 wrote:
It says in the article the sequel takes place AFTER Lelouch's Zero requiem plan so it won't be an origin story.

Just because it's after Zero Requiem doesn't mean they can't go into more details about how Geass works. In fact, they'll have to if they want to explain his spoiler[resurrection].

I'm actually fine with the idea of spoiler[ a Geass, or Geass rule, that grants immortality].

(lol Here I am bothering to put the end in spoiler tags and others here just casually mentions it)

Ah. BTW, Kazunari Tanaka passed away, so we're not going to hear him as Tamaki anymore Crying or Very sad Well maybe he won't be in anyway? Who knows.

If anyone's still wondering, the original director and writer, Taniguchi and Okouchi, were both at the event, so it seems like they are involved in this new project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7