• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hana Yori Dango

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Aw man, I started reading the Boys Over Flowers manga a while back and hated it, lol. It comes from that strange era of shojo manga where it was not only common, but expected, that the male lead either threaten to or commit sexual assault on the female lead at least once per volume. I'm a bit baffled as to why this was so common for a genre ostensibly for teenage girls. Maybe it improves later on, but i could only stomach 5 volumes.

For me to get invested in a romance series, i have to like at least some of the characters, and this series made it really hard to do that.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
@Tony, it is awesome you get to share collecting with your spouse. It is the best feeling in the world. Thanks for sharing!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Aw man, I started reading the Boys Over Flowers manga a while back and hated it, lol. It comes from that strange era of shojo manga where it was not only common, but expected, that the male lead either threaten to or commit sexual assault on the female lead at least once per volume. I'm a bit baffled as to why this was so common for a genre ostensibly for teenage girls. Maybe it improves later on, but i could only stomach 5 volumes.

For me to get invested in a romance series, i have to like at least some of the characters, and this series made it really hard to do that.

I actually find this post to be funny as Tsukushi gets spoiler[tied to a car and dragged around the school.] Nobody in that school is, well, humane or human. Tsukushi herself wasn't any better when she threatened the hateful trio... why is there usually three of them?... to spoiler[have Tsukasa hang them by their ankles from the school roof if they didn't leave her alon.].

They're all just a bunch of violent degenerates and it's kind of fascinating... it's like someone turned a finishing school into a "Finish Him!" school. I love the artwork and character designs, the plotting is quite a bit faster than I expected for a series this long but is there anyone I can root for here?

Thomas? He's an animalistic lout but at least he never pretended to be anything else.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Funimation (or its licensor partners) must think Bikini Warriors is 3-6 times as valuable as some of their other releases this week, judging by its MSRP-to-runtime ratio. It's some okay plot-free PLOT to pass the time, but is it that good? No. $9.98 would've been in line with their other offerings, though you'd think that for the price they're asking, they could've included the one 4-minute special episode. But clearly, you'd be wrong in that case.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Is it too much to ask anyone to review Sonic X please? As the three seasons are already released
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
@Tony, it is awesome you get to share collecting with your spouse. It is the best feeling in the world. Thanks for sharing!

Fully agreed! One of the more recent series the wife and I enjoyed together was Charlotte. Always set aside some time once a week to watch an episode.

Hana Yori Dango was always one of those series I hear about but never get around to watching. After reading some of the comments here I'm not sure if I should Laughing

The one thing I didn't realize was Part 2 of Rurouni Kenshin live action is released. If anything, I will have to find a way to buy Part 1 and 2 (and eventually 3). Income tax refund, here we come!
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Seiyu's Life is so lightweight it threatens to float away, but it's cute and largely inoffensive and has some excellent cameos (Yui Horie in particular does a fine job in multiple appearances). I'd consider it recommendable for either cute-girls-doing-things fans or seiyu fans, but the latter are probably already on top of it...
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Wow, Funimation (or its licensor partners) must think Bikini Warriors is 3-6 times as valuable as some of their other releases this week, judging by its MSRP-to-runtime ratio. It's some okay plot-free PLOT to pass the time, but is it that good? No. $9.98 would've been in line with their other offerings, though you'd think that for the price they're asking, they could've included the one 4-minute special episode. But clearly, you'd be wrong in that case.

Or the OVA episodes plus special versions that are coming out later this week in Japan. It seems like too much for me for an amusing show my wife and I enjoyed. I guess we'll see if it sells. Perhaps they saw something in the streaming numbers.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

While it is certainly possible that they are overpricing it, at some point the fixed costs would become the controlling factor. For example, printing the discs themselves costs the same no matter how much runtime you put on them. I don't know where that point is but I not confident that MSRP-to-runtime would always be a meaningful measure.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

Fully agreed! One of the more recent series the wife and I enjoyed together was Charlotte. Always set aside some time once a week to watch an episode.

Hana Yori Dango was always one of those series I hear about but never get around to watching. After reading some of the comments here I'm not sure if I should Laughing

I haven't actally watched the Hana Yori anime, but I have seen the live action K-drama version 'Boys Over Flowers" title that Paul mentioned. Other than the really long episode times, I really enjoyed the story. It could be kind of dark...I'm not sure how faithful it was to the original in that respect. The boys can be pretty...brutal. But I will definitely pick up this release rather than try hunt down those original discs.

And oh yes, after the Christmas sale season ends, Tax season is nextmas!
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I not confident that MSRP-to-runtime would always be a meaningful measure.

It is always a meaningful measure of what the release is worth to me and, much as I would like to try Bikini Warriors, $0.62 per minute (the equivalent of $15 per episode) is just too much. Even the $0.43 per minute ($11 per episode) at Right Stuf is too much.

If they are ever able to combine this with another short work at a more accessible price I will reconsider.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
^I was speaking mostly about the business side. The price isn't necessarily reflective of the company's valuation of the property itself but more their costs of making it. Looking at disc prices (outside Japan of course), the most mediocre shows tend to be about the same as the best ones, though companies' pricing strategies vary (see Aniplex and Pony Canyon). Reading into that that the distributor thinks they are worth the same seems misguided, though MSRP to runtime can be useful for customers evaluating how they value the series.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Re-release of Hana Yori Dango? Tempting. It was a fave in my teens, one of the few shojo that had a bit of grit in its teeth.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Damn expecting people to dole out $30 for 48 mins of semi humorous animated tits and asses, that is crazy. Even if I was a fan of this series I would never pay that kind of money for it. I would maybe buy it if while walking through Best Buy it was on sale for $5. Even then I would still probably pass on it.
Randamo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
Hana Yori Dango is one of those classic titles that writes the book, so to speak, on how to do shoujo manga. Once you read that, you've read most of them, and it does it much better than most. That's not to sound negative about shoujo mind you. I just like the series.

Domyoji acts as the villian for a good span of the series - he does improve. I personally liked him for being so cathartic and shaking things up.

I particularly like the manga ending, especially with Rui's conclusion, but the anime ending is a bit... abrupt and weird. It's worth watching anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2